What's going on with your life?

On 5/20/2016 at 10:46 AM, (HP) said:

You fuckers should ALL get glasses while working on the computer, you only get a pair of eyes and it's not like your monitors will care if you look like a nerd, just do it!

Stepp, good luck with that stuff man. I'm willing to bet it's your wisdom teeth, Many doctors recommend you just remove all 4 and get it done with. It's better if we do it now.

I swear I landed a couple jobs thanks to my glasses. I don't usually wear them unless i'm reading or at the computer but I always put them on for job interviews. I look pretty goofy when I don't wear them but when I do wear them I look like a goof who might know something (jokes on them!).

On 5/21/2016 at 11:15 PM, FX said:

Trying to find an apartment and a job in Austin TX, Currently living in Los Angeles.  Going through a divorce, so I need my own place, LA is just too expensive! And I also need to keep mapping!

Sorry to hear that buddy. I was just in San Francisco looking at jobs and decided to stop looking there when I found out rent for a place like I have in Vancouver is over 5000$. I heard LA is pretty expensive too when I was down there. 

Why Austin?

On 5/23/2016 at 8:44 PM, Vinca said:

Very down in the dumps as of recently, I have no job as though i'm searching for anything to fill that void and i'm building my portfolio and resume to become a better level designer so i can find a position as a level designer in the future. Every day I feel i'm not putting enough effort in as a level designer as my parents say I don't put enough effort in as a level designer and want me to find a part time job so i can pay off my debts. Its very hard, every day I dream about becoming a level designer but I feel like i'm one step further from becoming a good designer. I lost my girlfriend because she thinks I won't find a sustainable job and she thinks i'm good for nothing, and every day i hope everything will get better but I just end up hoping for nothing. I don't expect any pity. I deserve it, whether or not i truly do or not but i hope things get better from here, I want to work for a triple A company and make a living for myself so i can make my parents proud, but deep down I want to make myself proud. Knowing i went from a gameplay programmer as i studied in school and learned to create and understand maps as a level designer. For anyone who listened and felt no empathy, thanks for listening, hopefully i only improve from here.

Do you feel like you aren't putting enough in because you are only logging a couple hours a day or because you haven't been able to find work?

Considering you are a level designer who already knows how to program it seems like you could be pretty useful to a lot of AAA companies. I was involved in interviewing a few level designers in the past and I personally gravitated towards the designers that had a technical background. That's of course my anecdotal personal preference but I think the notion that technical inclination on a level designer is a good this is pretty widespread. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess this could also go in the „Do you enjoy your job in the games industry?“ thread or “MapCore Job Census” but I haven’t shared in this thread yet, so here’s what’s up: I quit my job on Friday.

During last night my family grew up   I have now a second daughter and we are happy

I just put in my resignation at work and will leave in about a month back to Britanny in France, as while Germany had some perks, my current commute time, work hours, and renovations were creating a w

Posted Images

5 hours ago, AlexM said:

Why Austin?

It's cheaper than LA and seems like it would be a nice place to live.  Looks like I may have a possible job over there, Now I just need to find a place to live!

On 23/05/2016 at 11:44 PM, Vinca said:

Very down in the dumps as of recently, I have no job as though i'm searching for anything to fill that void and i'm building my portfolio and resume to become a better level designer so i can find a position as a level designer in the future. Every day I feel i'm not putting enough effort in as a level designer as my parents say I don't put enough effort in as a level designer and want me to find a part time job so i can pay off my debts. Its very hard, every day I dream about becoming a level designer but I feel like i'm one step further from becoming a good designer. I lost my girlfriend because she thinks I won't find a sustainable job and she thinks i'm good for nothing, and every day i hope everything will get better but I just end up hoping for nothing. I don't expect any pity. I deserve it, whether or not i truly do or not but i hope things get better from here, I want to work for a triple A company and make a living for myself so i can make my parents proud, but deep down I want to make myself proud. Knowing i went from a gameplay programmer as i studied in school and learned to create and understand maps as a level designer. For anyone who listened and felt no empathy, thanks for listening, hopefully i only improve from here.

there's nothing wrong with getting a part time job to pay some bills while you keep moving forward with your dreams, the important part is you don't stop putting in the effort to get there. When I was 18 I'd spent a few years working at a hardware shop, it's safe to say that time encouraged me to apply for a job in the games industry :) 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, TheOnlyDoubleF said:

I broke up with my girlfriend about 1 months and 2 weeks ago... It's really hard to turn the page. :/ 

I'm getting on a new diet: I have about 5 fat kilos to leave. I'll try to loose at least 3 of them by the end of the month while getting the muscles back. I did it before. I can do it. My problem is how I eat when I get back home afterwork so I have to slow down the food in the evening and get full vegetables meals and soup without carbohydrate. 

I'm putting the Ultraflow brand on sale btw. I want to get out of this to get a fresh start with my new job. School will be over in 21 days ^^ and there's only one month before I move as game designer at Eden Games! I'm so excited to get back to this studio (even though I'm tired of looking for a new appartment in Lyon). Entering the Mapcore Job Census :3 

New city, new "game" field, new job, new body (#hope), new life style, new objectives... Damn July is gonna be pretty interesting ahah. 

All sounds like good stuff. 'turning the page' will be easy once the new job starts :)

I have an oral exam tomorrow to finish my apprenticeship as a freightforwarder. All my written exams went pretty well and this is the last step tomorrow. 

I can't concentrate on learning right now though, that's a big problem :( I have the feeling I have forgotten everything I have ever learned :D :/ 

A word of advice for anyone who will have to do a thesis in the future. Do something that's simple, cost efficient and doesn't require much time.

I've got my thesis due in two weeks for a BA in photography/video and I thought it would be a great idea to stick out from the crowd and do five 1m x 1m photorealistic charcoal drawings using the five chinese elements as a theme. It was going fairly well in the beginning. I kept working on the first drawing and working on it and working it and working on it... - and that's pretty much what I did for a month, while telling myself I have enough time to do the other four as well. I had some serious tunnel vision, but reality finally hit me several days ago.

So now I've got to come up with a new art project that I can do in two weeks and keep the theme of the five chinese elements. At least I can't complain that there's not enough excitement in my life :D

Update1* "just make them significantly smaller, stupid"

Update2* Still not enough time. Shit.

Update3* I pulled through against the odds. It wasn't exactly quality work, but it was alright.

Edited by Radu
  • 1 month later...

I've been missing this thread lately. Seems like we've been neglecting it. So time to revive this.....

What's going on with your life people?

I know the cynics will probably think that no once cares and we're just pretending, but don't let that stop you! 

There's not a lot going on in my life right now. Except that I'm convinced that no amount of sleep in the world could cure the tiredness I feel. 

Okay then. Here's what I'm up to.

I am now a little more than halfway through a 3-month contract with Gearbox. The office is awesome, everyone is nice even to us lowly contractors, and the work itself is just really fun. If it weren't for the heat here in Texas I would probably drop out of college and try to stay. I do miss home but I guess moving around is a way of life for level designers so I might as well get used to it.

The weirdest part is coming home every night and not having a hobby anymore because now it's my job. Time to look for new hobbies I guess.