Thrik

What's going on with your life?

LMAO fucking VW drivers. Was it a kid by any chance in his new 1.3 polo on his parents insurance off out for a cheeky nandos?

Nah was some woman in her 50's I think. I went over semi-confrontational but when I realised how shook up she was I just asked if she was ok and got her to sit down and chill out. She was a nice woman to be fair, just fucked up that day I guess!

Wonder if this videos can be visioned by the police to assign tickets?

Anyway, just seen up to the Peugeot cutting you, and as a proper Italian I would have been on their back honking for 5 minutes hoping they would dismount.

@Sprony really happy to hear the good news, you deserve a spot and wish you soon move onto a proper paid position. Congrats!

I know some of the black boxes can track your speed, acceleration and car usage and if you drive to quickly etc the insurance can raise your premium or just instantly void it if you do some crazy speeds. My friend has one and they have a website where you can go and see how well you drive etc.

I know some of the black boxes can track your speed, acceleration and car usage and if you drive to quickly etc the insurance can raise your premium or just instantly void it if you do some crazy speeds. My friend has one and they have a website where you can go and see how well you drive etc.

Don't need a black box for that! http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-exec-gps-2014-1?IR=T

Just been paid so I might get the camera... obviously as a stopgap until i get 20 GoPros and rig my car up for gymkhana

Nah was some woman in her 50's I think. I went over semi-confrontational but when I realised how shook up she was I just asked if she was ok and got her to sit down and chill out. She was a nice woman to be fair, just fucked up that day I guess!

Oh no, I mean if you could eventually make this available to police for them to assign infractions... you can read the plates :)

Ahh I get what you mean. It would be cool if you could do this, I mean you probably can if someone was doing something particularly bad (like going 150mph down a motorway), but I guess they're probably too busy for "minor" things.

It would be nice if I could be a part-time cop. I see so much shit on the roads I just wanna flick some blue lights on and give someone a ticket and tell them to go learn to fucking drive. 

I think the road is making me angry but I love driving xD

Yea exodus ok i'm a bit oversimplifying things but don't you think as a german that this is a ecological/economical huge mistake to throw away the car ? And no in France people would have done the same, it's just that my dad is into car restoration and we're not used to drive new cars ^^

I was just joking because in France there used to be lots of cars with dents and scratches driving around. Just something i was not used to see as a german. But it's been changing over the last few years. Since i'm going on vacation im France for my whole life, i was observing this a bit :P

Edit: @economical mistake: yes and no. Sometimes it's just more expensive to repair a car than just replacing it. It might sound wrong, but if you don't have a own garage to get it repaired, it might be simply not worth it.

I think the road is making me angry but I love driving xD

Yeah, same for me haha :) I think i need a dashcam aswell, but in germany it's not always allowed to record public areas, so i'm not really sure if i can do it legally.

Edited by El_Exodus
add

And yea Jacko i kinda know the topic, it's my job ...

There's a job to judge damage on internet forums based on videos? How much they pay? It's only for student job? I believe that your gut feeling tells you it's fine but you can't be 100% sure. Nobody can. There's too many factors that can change a lot and you can't tell it from a video. Spreading so confident opinions around feels like lack of experience, I remember when I was a student, I thought I know everything and I wanted to help everyone but damn, I was wrong. You can talk your opinion all over internets and it's fine because nobody have to and should trust you to pick a choice on your judgments.But imagine if your "It's a minor crash, it's fine, we can fix that" opinion would be listened and later that guy had a crash with casualties because fixing such a complex construction can do wrong. You would be screwed, dude.

I guess you're young - maybe not your body but your soul is young ;) Once someone told me that because of my young age I need to "shape my moral spline". I'm not sure if it's an international thing but it comes to figuring what crap people say when being young, how easily they judge or trust crazy people etc. It changed my point of view of what I think and talk so... here I am asking you about your moral spline ;)

I'm Polish so I know what means to drive a crappy car after a few crashes. All the junk after an accident lands somewhere behind northern German border. People buy that like a fresh and hot French bread. Everybody's like "It's fine, it's fixed!" but dude, it's like a domino effect no matter how awesome handyman your mechanic is. One hit and it's getting worse and worse each month. From serious construction issues, through ignoring minor things that grow in time up to small details like rust that can mess your car in few rainy years.

I would never buy a car after an accident and I would never drive a car after the crash. I did that for many years. So do my friends from our funny country. It's not cool and nobody does that because he likes to do it. It's cheap, risky and stressful but you know what? A lot of my friends don't care, they are simply poor and it's turning them to a crazy and angry assholes on roads. They even don't care about brake pads or new tires. That's why my country is leading in casualties on roads and you can't change it. It's baked into these people's minds, to save cash because they barely pay rent. They shouldn't drive, they can't effort car but when you can buy a crashed vehicle for $1000.

I've heard hundreds of stories about guy moving from Poland to UK to get cash (and being a jerk about it, acting like a king), coming back to Poland with a "brand new" Opel, VW, Audi or BMW from around 2005 that was "a great offer", "diesel without filter for additional HP!" and "only a bit crashed but it's fixed". Now they can't pay of the gas and periodic repairs, car looks like a nightmare but hey, it's a BMW! Wealth is here! Most of the times these cars end up in a crash after all. There's no day without information in Polish news that a drunk guy or junk-car driver killed someone. That's crap but really, it's baked into mentality. The worst thing is that innocent people die :/

Anyway, that's my opinion about cars after accidents. I've been there. I've tried because I had to. I was earning crap money when comparing to UK, France or Germany so yep, I'm guilty as charged. I hope people will learn on my and my friend's mistakes.

There's a job to judge damage on internet forums based on videos? How much they pay? It's only for student job? I believe that your gut feeling tells you it's fine but you can't be 100% sure. Nobody can. There's too many factors that can change a lot and you can't tell it from a video. Spreading so confident opinions around feels like lack of experience, I remember when I was a student, I thought I know everything and I wanted to help everyone but damn, I was wrong. You can talk your opinion all over internets and it's fine because nobody have to and should trust you to pick a choice on your judgments.But imagine if your "It's a minor crash, it's fine, we can fix that" opinion would be listened and later that guy had a crash with casualties because fixing such a complex construction can do wrong. You would be screwed, dude. [...]

Wow i'm sorry if i moved you that much, that wasn't intended. It is true that I exagerated in my remarks, it was mainly to take the opposite party and bring a talk on this.

What i meant by "It's my job" to Jacko is about the basics of strength of materials applied to vehicles, i've studied and worked in that field and I understand the design intentions for building a car's chassis.

Of course i'm not able to analyse from a video the internal damages, it just doesn't seem that bad (because it's in a location where there's not much things to consider and the impact wasn't too brutal). It could have been almost nothing (but it also could have been unfixable, which seems to be the case since the repair costs more than the car's value). In any case, it's a waste because there are lots of parts that can be reuse that just couldn't be impacted, and it's going to be destroyed :/

But to be clear, no I did not seriously thought that you could just go with it and don't pay attention to the accident. I fully agree with you that, since vehicles are things that can hurt/kill you if there is a malfunction, it's stupid to ignore accidents and the damages that can happen inside the vehicle. But i don't think that because a car had a crash then it needs to be fully replaced (i'm not talking about Beck's car here), a simple misaligned axle can be fixed, bodywork can be replaced/rewrapped, lights can be changed ... Sometimes it doesn't damage the chassis of the car and it can be safe (just don't analyze the damages randomly).

I just want to add something, I wasn't judging Beck or anyone here, just the insurance system. And i did not say that he could do anything because it was already done, I was just surprised to see the video and read that the car is now probably already completely destroyed, and nobody reacted to that.

About my old car, it's not crappy and it never had an accident, It just aged. I was just saying that i'm used to see cars being taken care of, and the waste here saddens me.

Anyway, here i am trying to justify myself. I didn't intend to spread a word or anything but just to speak about the destruction of a car but it seems i got carried away. In my defense, the fact that it's not my native tongue doesn't help. :P

The situation seems pretty bad in Poland, sorry to hear that

In any case, it's a waste because there are lots of parts that can be reuse that just couldn't be impacted, and it's going to be destroyed :/

I just want to add something, I wasn't judging Beck or anyone here, just the insurance system. And i did not say that he could do anything because it was already done, I was just surprised to see the video and read that the car is now probably already completely destroyed, and nobody reacted to that.

If it makes you feel any better I think the car will probably end up being taken apart at a scrap/salvage yard. I doubt it's been crushed for the scrap metal or anything like that (yet - Until anything of use has been taken out at least). 

The engine was sound in that car, so I'd hope it'd still see some use elsewhere.

I moved back from Berlin to Darmstadt to go back to university and finish my studies; 3 semesters left  :v.

And while I enjoyed my time at Yager a lot and worked on a bunch of really cool projects there, it feels good to have some more time again for personal projects as well :). I'll post some stuff I am working on soon, it's fun!

@leplubodeslapin Scrap salvage is pretty common in England, they reserve cubing for the oldest of cars afaik.

As @Beck says, there's a good engine in there still along with most of the car, but insurance companies will often sell these cars on the cheap directly to mechanics who fix them up themselves and sell them on that way so the price overheads are very different.

I got that camera btw! Do you know what the motion detection is for?

I got that camera btw! Do you know what the motion detection is for?

I think you can hard wire the camera to the battery and it will stay on standby and start recording when it detects motion. Obviously this could drain your battery over a prolonged period. I've not tried it myself, I just leave my camera on the window and let it record when I drive :)

Hope you never need to use it to though! Today some guy stopped right in front of me at a green light and only moved on when it went onto amber. No idea why, there was nothing in front of him. Will grab the video later!

Woke up this morning early, checked the time and saw a text from my mum less than one hour before, informing my grandad passed last night.

I feel I'm a shit as I haven't seen him in years. Promised to go and postponed several times. Was supposed to go this July but situation was messy (my parents were going to move him in with them, and then he changed his mind).
I didn't even sent the postcard I bought explicitly for him during holiday, hell... I haven't even wrote it!! :sad:

Flying home tomorrow at 6am, yes it's absurd but funeral is already sorted :| I'm lucky I work where I work in this regard.