Thrik

What's going on with your life?

So I decided to start waking up between 4 and 5am every day and do all the chores and studying I try to do after work, before work. The result is I actually get it done because I often feel sleepy and procrastinate on days when I try to do chores and study after work. My Japanese is finally starting to not suck.

I also hike 6km to work early and try to leave at 5pm every day with an extra 30 min break to read. I really like the environment at work so I don't mind staying longer and doing my reading and studying there. I still work 8 hours but I break it up more with activities and lunch. Plus they have free coffee and food. 

Anyways I just hit 4 weeks of keeping it up. I feel way better already. The best part is when I get home from work, since I already have all my chores done, I can play video games without feeling as guilty that I have to do life stuff. It's a lot easier to enjoy gaming when you know you dont have a bunch of adult responsibilities you still haven't performed. I've been playing more video games lately than I have in the last 5-6 years.

I do worry about keeping it up though. I've managed to have burst phases in the past where I do good for a week or so but then degrade into a more procrastination prone style of living. The fact I've managed to keep it up for 4 weeks is promising. I hope I can keep it going.

Anyways another great thing about getting up so early and going to work early is seeing the sunrise on the bridge every day. Here's how it looked today. 

tumblr_nlvoia5Pqr1rc9vrqo1_1280.jpg

Geez that post just made me want to reorganize my life a little bit. I'll try but... I'll try lol.

CUT

Wow Alex, impressive commitment! Wish you the best in keeping it up.

I used to get up at 6am for a morning run and I know how good that was. And as romantic as it sounds, seeing the sun coming up really does make you feel better!

CUT

Shit, sorry man. Wish you find a solution soon enough. As other mentioned, we know you weren't happy in that workplace so it might just work better for you!

All the best, keep it strong!

Thanks for all the support and suggestions guys! I'll keep you all posted on further developments. It feels good to have the Core to back me up in times like these!

Should be going to Freedom And Liberty Land in the beginning of May with trips to San Francisco and possibly Valve :)

Awesome dude. what you goin over there for, to meet the UWE guys?

Aye. All of us, pretty much. Because Subnautica works really well with VR Valve has invited us up to see them as they're doing a little conference on their VR set :)

You do realize you have to leave your house now right? Travel, leave your city and even Wales. Are you going to be ok :P

Sounds excellent dux.

Sorry to hear about the job situation Sprony, although as already said it'll be better for you in the long run. Sometimes a push is needed to finally move on from a job that pays but doesn't deliver happiness, I've been there — and was similarly in the middle of moving when it came along. But in hindsight it was one of the best things that ever happened to me, leading to me living in a better place, doing work I enjoy, and building a whole new social circle. Also I played a ton of Battlefield.

I admire your perseverance and always looking on the bright side. :-D

Should be going to Freedom And Liberty Land in the beginning of May with trips to San Francisco and possibly Valve :)

Awesome dude. what you goin over there for, to meet the UWE guys?

Aye. All of us, pretty much. Because Subnautica works really well with VR Valve has invited us up to see them as they're doing a little conference on their VR set :)

That sounds amazing dude, what an opportunity. Have a great time!

You do realize you have to leave your house now right? Travel, leave your city and even Wales. Are you going to be ok :P

LOL

he's got you there bro.  :-D you're gonna enjoy that shit tho

Released alpha 1.0.0 version for my first game. What an excellent feeling having finally "delivered".

Spent roughly 3+ months working on it, learning new stuff about server programming and Amazon Web Services etc.

More importantly I think I learned a lot about myself and about finding motivation to keep going. Working on a project by yourself

certainly means there's no boss behind your back and no co-workers that do the jobs you're not willing to do. You are responsible of everything.

You can only cheat yourself by not working and procrastinating as there's nobody else.

Obviously the game is not the best evar but like an ugly baby, I love it because I made it :) . Going to make small updates once a week

until I get it to a level that I'm comfortable to release iOS and Android versions of the game.

This week I'm going to start learning Unity and next week I'll working on my 2nd game :banjo:

Also excited for spring and summer!

I'm always amazed by your infinite wisdom Sprony. You're a truly source of inspiration when you're not on the EOT. I had bad times these last few weeks, and still, and several times I told myself: "Wait. What would Sprony do? He would face the problems, kick their ass and keep the head up." So I did.

WWSD t-shirts anyone?

In other news. I'm getting cold feet at my job... I keep kidding myself into thinking I can help bring them up to date and that there's a chance for progression, but it's an uphill struggle every day, and a man who should be in a junior role running the web development for a company just isn't a good idea!

I'm a uni drop-out which makes things harder (which I knew full well at the time), but... I feel so wasted here, I know I can do more, but then recruiters... I'm always just one check box away from having a chance to talk to someone who could see what I'm capable of, not just a sheet of numbers.

I'm always amazed by your infinite wisdom Sprony. You're a truly source of inspiration when you're not on the EOT. I had bad times these last few weeks, and still, and several times I told myself: "Wait. What would Sprony do? He would face the problems, kick their ass and keep the head up." So I did.

WWSD t-shirts anyone?

In other news. I'm getting cold feet at my job... I keep kidding myself into thinking I can help bring them up to date and that there's a chance for progression, but it's an uphill struggle every day, and a man who should be in a junior role running the web development for a company just isn't a good idea!

I'm a uni drop-out which makes things harder (which I knew full well at the time), but... I feel so wasted here, I know I can do more, but then recruiters... I'm always just one check box away from having a chance to talk to someone who could see what I'm capable of, not just a sheet of numbers.

Is it that you are under paid for what they have you do or are you over qualified for what you are doing? I'm not exactly understanding the problem?

Is it that you are under paid for what they have you do or are you over qualified for what you are doing? I'm not exactly understanding the problem?

Neither really... I've tried writing out a few versions of my thoughts on the situation, but they come out sounding jumbled and confused. So I offer this instead:

TL;DR - University drop out, lucky to have a job where he can build skills for future jobs is crying because the company he works for won't let him help them with simple, efficient solutions to which would keep his maintenance work load down AND look much better on a CV for himself.

Yeah, I guess that's it, just venting frustrations... I could bitch all day about how poorly run the company is, but what it boils down to is poor communication and not knowing how to utilise me.

I am often told by colleagues and other friends that you should "never make yourself redundant". I think it's a disgusting, totally abhorrent work ethic, and I would rather have a piece of software that runs with next to no maintenance and be out of a job knowing what I'd made, than having to drag myself back to the company to keep it running/updated for them. Some might call it lazy, I like to think of it as efficient.