Thrik

What's going on with your life?

They just opened a gym 100 meters from my door so I've started there and trying to pick up the habit again. 

I got really motivated when I got there, they have a chin-up support machine! Maybe now I can finally learn!

Today something baffling happend.

I got a call from a british recruiter who briefly interviewed me (sponeneously) over phone and then asked if I could go for a more serious one some other time soon. What I know is: it's an AAA-title, unannounced.

What my problem is:I still have my own start-up company Frogsong Studios and we're really close to our Kickstarter and possibly a deal with a publisher. It's a critical moment for our company and if I leave now it might chage the outcome drastically.

On the other hand, I haven't yet worked at an established studio with economy and I feel that in terms of CV, this position would probably be a lot better for me.

Tomorrow noon (in 10 hours) I will have to give a decision on whether I want to go to the interview, I will probably say yes to the interview nonetheless but I feel I really should figure out my intentions as soon as possible.

I'm super confused and feel I'd be a traitor to leave my comrades on a currently sinking ship we're currently working as hard as we can to stay alive.. 

This post turned out really messy, but I guess that's exactly what my brains are like right now anyways.

Dear mapcorians, please share your wisdom!

Edited by Sjonsson

Well, careful with recruiters, they have a habit of getting in contact with you directly and primisse you'll be working on a AAAAAA title being developed in the moon with the best talent in the world, good pay and benefits.

On the other hand, I know many people who found good stable jobs in the industry via recruiters. Go through with the interview, it couldn't hurt, right? If anything, you'll have a nice chat with a studio and you'll get a glimpse of what phone interviews are like like.

The reason they don't tell you the studio is because you would get in contact with the studio directly and he wouldn't get paid.

I'm constantly getting calls and emails from recruiters.. But I've never actually used one to get a job, I usually just try and go through a friend/acquaintance that already works there. Recruiters do tend to try and oversell every single job, and they might not be completely honest about the company. Makes sense really, after all they are trying to get a commission.

If I were you, I'd keep trying with your indie stuff. Or if that gets a little too difficult, then apply to places yourself and do it on your own terms.

do it, you don't have to accept anything, or even feel as if you should, it needs to fit your requirements as much as theirs. I'd see what it's all about, but only if I was willing to go through with it, certainly don't want to waste time. I'd find out as much as I could over the phone, even if that means them sending you an NDA in the post, I'd figure out if the project was good for me before going for onsite's (assuming you get that far) nevertheless, it'd be great experience.

Some companies I spoke to are so cryptic over the phone it's ridiculous, some devs you just know they are doing something down your alley so it's not even required lol.

This all could be because I'm a picky sod now, back in the old days I was super excited to work on anything :P

Options are never a bad thing, and you seen to have a few which means you can't really go wrong.

PS: was the recruiter, Fran by some chance? If so he's one of the good ones ^^

Edited by 2d-chris

I said yes to the interview and I got to know they want me to come up to Stockholm for a week and do some paid work to show them my skillset and how I work with a team.

When I mentioned I'd very much like to sign an NDA to get more information they said we could do that if the interview turned out good. I talked a bit with a friend on Skype yesterday night before I got to bed and he calmed me a bit by saying I shouldn't consider it an option until I actually have a job offering. This is the first time a recruiter just calls me apropo nothing. Gonna try and not get too stressed about all this, not just yet!

Talked to my team and they said they would understand if it happend, and my gf said she wasn't all against the idea of moving there.

Going to get a date on the interview soon, I'll keep you guys updated.

And no Chris, this guy was named Rex Rusling! :) Said he usually had clients in the Stockholm area.

Thanks a lot for the answers! :D

Edited by Sjonsson

Go to the interview if just for the experience.

I get recruiter calls/Emails all the time but ignore more of them (they normally CTRL-F your CV...)

'Oh I see you have SQL experience, Do you want to be a SQL administrator for RBS?- 60-80k a year, you need 5 years+ SQL experiance'

Edited by Vaya

Early December I posted a depressing rant. Something I was conflicted about doing. Because, why share and who really cares right? But, the need to write it all down won eventually and could be considered a kind of therapy for myself. Now I'm in the same situation but it feels right to at least give you guys (who responded/gave advice/etc) an update.

I put a lot of effort into improving things. I quite smoking cigarettes but in return I gained weight. Kept feeling rather depressed since we didn't manage to find a daycare solution (money and location issues). Worked hard to try and organize some social things with some success. I was really looking forward to the Mapcore meet-up with Helder en Knj and then my wife had to cover a shift at work and I couldn't find daycare on such short notice. That really was the final straw. I felt and still feel so shitty about it that I finally realized this situation wasn't workable anymore. Shit had to change, so I've managed to sell my house with a huge loss and which I have to vacate within 2 weeks with no other place to go to yet. Combined with the upcoming merger at work, job insecurity, massive debt and long lasting depression I'm really between a rock and hard place right now. I haven't been that active here and honestly, I've lost interest for the time being. Posting stuff is difficult for me because I'm all emo and I will never get the response I want (because I wouldn't know what I want even if it slapped me in the face). But like I said, an update felt like the right thing to do and now you know why Sprony isn't around a lot. I'm not leaving the Core (sorry you know who) but I really need to sort a lot of stuff out.

Think short term for now man- get yourself somewhere to live first and then you can work on the rest...

i've sorted a flat in the past with less time before...It's hard but do-able.