Thrik

What's going on with your life?

That is true, the drop in housing prices did cause some people to lose about 20k if they had bought between 2005-2008. Guess what though, I lost that much too. By renting.

Right, but you're at least still not stuck with trying to sell the house :)

>316bhp 4WD vs 276bhp FWD

See you at the finish line, when the vtec kicks in yo ;)

The ford has always been for pikey rooney fans who can't drive properly :v the R has always been the better hatch.

>316bhp 4WD vs 276bhp FWD

See you at the finish line, when the vtec kicks in yo ;)

The ford has always been for pikey rooney fans who can't drive properly :v the R has always been the better hatch.

Both are guilty of this tbh, but I'm a not a pikey and have less interest in football than fitting a pineapple in my anus!

Besides, I've seen far more souped up civics than I have focus these days, must be all the barry boys thinking they're Tokyo Drift or something. I also guess when I get it I won't drive to Wales to give you a spin then :P

Mapcore: Designers turned street racers

inb4 "Mapcore Meetup 2016: London Street Drag Races"

Edited by jackophant

Yep it sucks man! Me and Emma split it between us so it's like £725 each. It's awesome living in london but that price is insane! I think we pay £1450 or something actually, but it doesnt really matter!

That's almost 2000 euros a month! That's 4 times my monthly mortgage. Fucking insane bro. Please tell me that it at least comes with water/gas/electricity/insurance/etc included?

Family pressuring me into looking at buying a house. I made a thread on this a while ago and I'm just not interested in it. I'm happy renting. "But you could rent the house!" I don't bloody want to. I'm content with what I have and spending my spare money on my hobbies like my car and computer. I still put away at least 20-40% of my pay cheque into my savings anyway.

You don't strike me as the kinda guy who gets pressured into things so why start now?

Oh yeah, one thing I've noticed is that older people seem to almost universally buying a place as 'the done thing' and what you should strive towards. I just don't think they understand the modern world of people wanting the freedom to move around said world, not be tied into what can easily become a huge ball and chain around your neck, etc.

In addition, real estate isn't always the "awesome deal" people think it is. Part of the increasing value is just inflation, not real value increase. People just think in pure numbers and think about what they paid for a place (which is usually way back when).

Financially no matter how you look at it, home ownership is more profitable than renting. Even if the market collapses and your house value halves, that is still money. Renting earns you nothing and forces you to pay more. If I wasn't moving around for jobs I would 100% be buying.

Sorry dude, but that's just bullshit. Example, I've bought something for 130K. I pay 500 mortgage each month. I live there for, let's say, a decade and now I want to sell. Nobody wants to buy, even for 85K. A miracle happens and I manage to sell it for 80K. That's a 50K loss plus 10 years times 6000 mortgage a year is 60K. You have many different kind of mortgages. So let's assume with this one you've paid 30K on the interest and the rest is reduced from the actual mortgage. So a 130K mortgage, leaves 100K which is sold for 80K leaving a 20K debt plus 30K in interest leaving you with 50K expenses. I could have rented the same place for 500 a month, costing me 60K in 10 years. So yes, renting is more expensive but has far more benefits and it doesn't leave you with a 20K debt at the end of the road. I agree with your reasoning and I understand your motivations I just disagree with it always being more profitable. Because with buying, you have been throwing that money away as well.

I wrote out a whole thing on this but tbh I can't be bothered. Statistically owning a property is going to be a bigger net contributer to your wealth than renting on average.

Now I lay my part in this debate to rest.

Edited by Vilham

I'm going to buy a place as soon as I get my credit rating high enough, oh the joys of moving to the USA ... feck this renting forever, don't care if I have to move away, don't care if I have to be a landlord one day. I'm single and can afford a very nice mortgage, screw giving that money to somebody else.

Indeed! Give it at least a couple of years tho and get your credit rating to at least 670 or so.

You might already know this, but, quick tip, get a credit card (or two) NOW, and use it on everything, even to pay for toilet paper, it's a small thing but it'll get your credit rating up slowly but steady. (as long as you pay for it on time, every month)

Another thing that will get your credit rating skyrocket is buying a car, and pay the debt on it every month on time, and every now and again put some money down on it.

Living in the US with a shitty credit score fucking sucks. Like, if you have an average score, landlords will ask you for double or triple the deposit on your apartment lease for instance.

When I had to move here, I had to put in 2 rents in for the deposit, (That's almost $3500, the fuckers...) cos having a neutral score in here is worse than negative score, funny enough.

Meh, I took a punt and bought a house 3 years ago. Difference between its value and whats left to pay on the mortgage is £40k+ now and slowly getting round to selling. Paid about half what it would've cost to rent a similar house in that time.

If you've got the initial deposit then go for it, do the research and make key improvements to increase value if you want to sell on. We changed the boiler in ours, new double glazing and insulation and the value of the house went up by double the amount spent. I know plenty of friends who just do this, buy a house, make some changes and sell on after 12 months.

Edited by Ginger Lord

I wrote out a whole thing on this but tbh I can't be bothered. Statistically owning a property is going to be a bigger net contributer to your wealth than renting on average.

Now I lay my part in this debate to rest.

Fair enough dude. Wanna hear something ironic though? If I do manage to sell this house I'll buy a new one :)

I don't know the correct phrasing but we make too much money to rent normally. So we have to do it through a land lord and pay double the amount of what it would cost if we would buy. So that's really a no brainer. How's that for a twist :P

I thought I could do better with my last musical attempt — that it'd be nice to get some strings in there rather than wall-to-wall synth pads — so I just blew my afternoon reworking it from scratch. I'm still feeling hopelessly out of my depth, but actually putting stuff on SoundCloud so I can call it 'done' is very motivating and keeps me focusing on making something better. :-D

Rising Joy - SoundCloud

I thought I could do better with my last musical attempt — that it'd be nice to get some strings in there rather than wall-to-wall synth pads — so I just blew my afternoon reworking it from scratch. I'm still feeling hopelessly out of my depth, but actually putting stuff on SoundCloud so I can call it 'done' is very motivating and keeps me focusing on making something better. :-D

Rising Joy - SoundCloud

Sounds cool, somewhat reminds me of this track :)