What's going on with your life?

Thrik

I think it's just a matter of time, she's starting to accept the situation, yesterday there was another bad news (probably less time than expected to have to leave) but she didn't react like previously. And today she got the good news of being selected for an interview, so yes. I'm hopeful of the situation getting more relaxed ;)

My GF is facing imminent job loss. She's soon to hit the end of a fixed term contract with the home office and they're being complete shitbags about letting them know if they'll be renewed or not. She too has an interview at a new place, and it's stressful. So I here you man, let's get our women jobs and hugs for when things don't go so well.

Family pressuring me into looking at buying a house. I made a thread on this a while ago and I'm just not interested in it. I'm happy renting. "But you could rent the house!" I don't bloody want to. I'm content with what I have and spending my spare money on my hobbies like my car and computer. I still put away at least 20-40% of my pay cheque into my savings anyway.

Couple of guys have points with spending less on mortgage if you don't plan to move. But this isn't a buyers market right now. If property is to crash suddenly and you've got the capital to do so, investing in property would be very lucrative.

the initial stages of buying seem to be a massive money and time sink

I probably wouldn't do it if the GF wasn't pushing for it (I can sleep anywhere- GF wants a certain level of ownership and security...)

YES x1000. Seriously, give me a good internet connection, my computer and a pillow and I'll live in any hovel. It would let me save up for this baby ford just announced: 

image.jpg?OriginalImageUrl=%2Fuk%2Fasset

$ave all dat mon£y for a s1ck ride, init? (get a little jackophant decal for it as well :D)

Edited by jackophant

Oh yeah, one thing I've noticed is that older people seem to almost universally buying a place as 'the done thing' and what you should strive towards. I just don't think they understand the modern world of people wanting the freedom to move around said world, not be tied into what can easily become a huge ball and chain around your neck, etc.

In addition, real estate isn't always the "awesome deal" people think it is. Part of the increasing value is just inflation, not real value increase. People just think in pure numbers and think about what they paid for a place (which is usually way back when).

I think it's just a matter of time, she's starting to accept the situation, yesterday there was another bad news (probably less time than expected to have to leave) but she didn't react like previously. And today she got the good news of being selected for an interview, so yes. I'm hopeful of the situation getting more relaxed ;)

My GF is facing imminent job loss. She's soon to hit the end of a fixed term contract with the home office and they're being complete shitbags about letting them know if they'll be renewed or not. She too has an interview at a new place, and it's stressful. So I here you man, let's get our women jobs and hugs for when things don't go so well.

Family pressuring me into looking at buying a house. I made a thread on this a while ago and I'm just not interested in it. I'm happy renting. "But you could rent the house!" I don't bloody want to. I'm content with what I have and spending my spare money on my hobbies like my car and computer. I still put away at least 20-40% of my pay cheque into my savings anyway.

Couple of guys have points with spending less on mortgage if you don't plan to move. But this isn't a buyers market right now. If property is to crash suddenly and you've got the capital to do so, investing in property would be very lucrative.

the initial stages of buying seem to be a massive money and time sink

I probably wouldn't do it if the GF wasn't pushing for it (I can sleep anywhere- GF wants a certain level of ownership and security...)

YES x1000. Seriously, give me a good internet connection, my computer and a pillow and I'll live in any hovel. It would let me save up for this baby ford just announced: 

$ave all dat mon£y for a s1ck ride, init? (get a little jackophant decal for it as well :D)

Race you.

2015-Honda-Civic-Type-R-Review.jpg

Jap 4 lyfe y0

Edited by dux

Oh yeah, one thing I've noticed is that older people seem to almost universally buying a place as 'the done thing' and what you should strive towards. I just don't think they understand the modern world of people wanting the freedom to move around said world, not be tied into what can easily become a huge ball and chain around your neck, etc.

In addition, real estate isn't always the "awesome deal" people think it is. Part of the increasing value is just inflation, not real value increase. People just think in pure numbers and think about what they paid for a place (which is usually way back when).

Financially no matter how you look at it, home ownership is more profitable than renting. Even if the market collapses and your house value halves, that is still money. Renting earns you nothing and forces you to pay more. If I wasn't moving around for jobs I would 100% be buying.

Race you.

2015-Honda-Civic-Type-R-Review.jpg

Jap 4 lyfe y0

>316bhp 4WD vs 276bhp FWD

See you at the finish line, when the vtec kicks in yo ;)

Financially no matter how you look at it, home ownership is more profitable than renting. Even if the market collapses and your house value halves, that is still money. Renting earns you nothing and forces you to pay more. If I wasn't moving around for jobs I would 100% be buying.

The house market did collapse in the UK not many years ago though, and because almost everyone here buys their houses on mortgages (Who can seriously afford to buy outright?) many of them ended up in negative equity — the value they could sell their house for was significantly lower than what they'd mortgaged. Most of those people are still fucked, and as an added bonus because the number of people turning to renting has exploded they're finding it almost impossible to sell their houses.

You can theoretically make profit from a house, but that isn't proving true for a lot of people 2008 onwards. You're also tied into a lot of things, whereas with six months notice or less I can walk away from a rented home without a single obligation or task to sort out. And of course I'm not responsible for anything that goes wrong with my home, which is in itself something that can cost thousands.

Agreed, with the present day western capitalism and its bubbles (they are coming), housing is as much a liability as it is a profit. Renting may not give you anything, but you'll never be stuck with trying to sell a rented apartment etc.

It's much easier to just accept that rent money is just something you spend without getting any financial gain and look for more stable investments instead.

That is true, the drop in housing prices did cause some people to lose about 20k if they had bought between 2005-2008. Guess what though, I lost that much too. By renting.

It doesn't quite work out so cleanly in real life, though. I know someone who got a house exactly within that time frame for about £100k, with the mortgage of course being based on that. She soon found that she was struggling to sell it for even £80k, and for an easy sell she'd probably have needed to have dropped to £60–70k.

Where it gets really messy is when you then want to move, but you've still got this mortgage hanging over your head. If you can even get a remortgage — banks are a lot more conservative nowadays — you're still limited to buying something of a similar value, which might not be what you want your next move to be, especially if your salary and lifestyle expectations have improved.

On top of that, a lot of houses just won't sell these days even if they'd have flown off of the market 10 years ago. With so many younger people not bothered about renting, it's making it a lot harder for even decent houses to sell. And because property chains can be so long and fragile, it can take years to successfully sell.

I'm not saying it's an unwise thing to do, but for me to even consider it I'd have to be absolutely certain beyond doubt that I'll be staying in a given town and that the property is 100% perfect for me. That in itself a dicey area, because as I've discovered from renting numerous properties there are always annoyances. Sometimes something that you don't think will be too bad becomes an irreconcilable issue and you'd rather just move on, examples being horrendous neighbours, atrocious internet connectivity, plumbing or electrical issues, etc. This is where renting is wonderful.

I'm not trying to slam anyone who's chosen to buy, by the way. It's just that I know a number of people who have been chewed up and spat out by the whole process for numerous reasons, and the toll that it's taken on them financially and psychologically has been significant. Comparatively, I've heard of very few renting horror stories, and even in the worst scenarios you can escape relatively unscathed. Buying is just something that should be treated with the utmost of caution, and you have to be sure that it's right for you — never mind what family says.

Ryan I literally said in my first post "If I wasn't moving around for jobs I would 100% be buying." I have already agreed if you move a lot you shouldn't buy.

I have lived in a country where 80% of people rent, trust me when I say you don't want us heading in that direction. You can say good bye to all your protections as a renter when that happens.

I'm on the side of renting, for so many different reasons but the number one keeps being that the idea of having a single career in life is entirely gone and wiped out of western societies. If the WTO predictions regarding robotization of labor are verified and we lose 48% of today's jobs in the next 20 years, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't have to travel 500 miles anywhere to get a job.

Take the games industry volatility, then apply it to all industries across the board, imagine what kind of job market we'll all be looking at.

Europeans have a different situation than Americans when it comes to home buying. The advantage of Europe is that you're not going to lose your job all that fast, or without payment (short-term contract aside), but the inconvenient are the renters-biased laws. Americans have it the exact opposite way around. I've seen friends and colleagues losing their job and medical (Massachussets is an at-will state, your employer can let you go with no notice or explanation) in the same month as their kids starting school and them buying a house. Good luck with that shitstorm in your life.

Guys, whatever you look at it, if you own a house you still have a roof in case of a shitstorm. Loose your job -which nowadays happens every other day- and you might be in serious trouble.

And there's people renting their house while living abroad, is surely an annoyance but at the end of the day probably still worth it.

Colleague of mine is paying mortgage renting the house she's buying (we live in our workplace).

Anyway, I'm regretting applying for the supervisor position. Due to the shitty way booking information is stored in our office, I've been sloppy and made two glaring mistakes this week. Nothing unfixable, but it's really annoying me because it makes me look bad — not much with my boss, which today reassured me, but with the people I oversee… which already are not inclined of being supervised because they don't care at all. One especially applied for my position two times before and after I arrived in the UK. He's been a dick telling to my face that he doesn't want to do things the way we are told to (which is not the moon but what to me looks like standard for a low-end hospitality business).

How can you demand/impose a standard if you make some basic organisational mistakes? :(

Also doesn't help that I'm not usually a strong personality, at least, I can't be when I'm not at the top of the game – I mean I'm still learning everything.

And that's why I'm regretting the job, I have to waste energies on learning this, when I should focus on going back to IT stuff.

Edited by blackdog