Thrik

What's going on with your life?

Started to dip my toes into the minefield that is buying property.

Don't do it. I'm one of those suckers that got tricked into buying. Stating, with renting you are not building any capital. You are just throwing money away. But by buying, you are building capital for your rainy old day. Sounds good right?

Back to reality: I've got a house for sale for about 4 years now. It's being priced at a 30.000 euro loss and still no buyers. I can't buy anything else until I sell this and it being a 2 room apartment means our entire lives (my wife and daughter) are on hold for the time being. Sounds exaggerated but there's a lot more involved that would cost pages 2 explain. In short, don't buy a fucking house! It's a rope around your neck.

Don't do it. I'm one of those suckers that got tricked into buying. Stating, with renting you are not building any capital. You are just throwing money away. But by buying, you are building capital for your rainy old day. Sounds good right?

Back to reality: I've got a house for sale for about 4 years now. It's being priced at a 30.000 euro loss and still no buyers. I can't buy anything else until I sell this and it being a 2 room apartment means our entire lives (my wife and daughter) are on hold for the time being. Sounds exaggerated but there's a lot more involved that would cost pages 2 explain. In short, don't buy a fucking house! It's a rope around your neck.

While this post is terrifying and all I don't know how much say I have in the matter  :lol:

Did you buy a property and then have a kid- decided you needed to sell for a bigger place?  If so there's little change of that happening to me. Owning a flat will give me more freedom- not take it away.

While this post is terrifying and all I don't know how much say I have in the matter  :lol:

Did you buy a property and then have a kid- decided you needed to sell for a bigger place?  If so there's little change of that happening to me. Owning a flat will give me more freedom- not take it away.

No, I wanted to leave before that but fat chance of that happening. Hell, I wanted to sell when I was still single but then the economy collapsed in 2008.

Jokes on all of you, I rent a tiny appartment for way too much money in hipster central, should find something cheaper, but its furnitured with electricity and internet included with work 10 min away so I don't need to use public transportation. But it's hard to save up dollas : <

Jokes on all of you, I rent a tiny appartment for way too much money in hipster central, should find something cheaper, but its furnitured with electricity and internet included with work 10 min away so I don't need to use public transportation. But it's hard to save up dollas : <

Prisoner's dilemma

I think the whole buy/rent/live pogoP's friends mum debate comes down fully to personal situation.

I'm 26, with a decent job and have a Gf with Bank (her Dad was the director of a health insurance company, enough said) We have no dependents and no plans to have any. We've been renting together now for about 7 years at about 650/700 a month. Mortgage would be 400-500

Edinburgh is vastly different from the Netherlands too in terms of how quickly 2 bedroom flats sell, There's literally 4 universities here. I doubt we'd match your horror story of waiting 4 years with no buyers..

We're looking at something like this: http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/34373453#Tkum0AfxdFpLIl3Y.97

I also bought a house last year and when i move to socal I'll rent it out.

No biggie.

Looked into that but tenants have too much rights here. Not easy to evict even if they don't pay. Plus, in this city you have a big chance of renting it to one Eastern European who then crashes the place with 10 of them. Not discriminating here, just stating facts. Even if it's not that, there's always a chance they turn your home into one big weed plant. Happened to a friend of mine. God, the amount of bullshit he had to resolve after that. Unbelievable. 

@Vaya: You know your country better than me of course. So do what you feel is right. I'm just speaking from personal experience nd how it is here. You know the really sad part is that now is an excellent time to buy a house here. Prices have dropped as low as they can go. Man I could buy me a 3 story, 5 bedroom house with a yard and garage if only I got rid of this fucking apartment. 

I'd rather hear the horror stories now and not when I've just signed 25-30 years of my life away to be honest!

I hope it works out for you in the end, The market is apparently rising here again.