What's going on with your life?

Thrik

8 hours ago, dux said:

You don't wanna be there

I'm here, been here for 8+ years and I'm starting to agree, as many wonderful and amazing things California provides, there's also a lot of fuckery going on, specially on the governmental side.

Plus, who the fuck can afford median house prizes of 700k?

2 hours ago, ┌HP┘ said:

I'm here, been here for 8+ years and I'm starting to agree, as many wonderful and amazing things California provides, there's also a lot of fuckery going on, specially on the governmental side.

Plus, who the fuck can afford median house prizes of 700k?

Whoo boy, you don't want to come to Vancouver then It's 1.6M here :(

53 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Whoo boy, you don't want to come to Vancouver then It's 1.6M here :(

It's ridiculous dude... some of these cities really make it hard to buy.

It's actually more than I thought here:

image.png.416f325bd3c381433cc2ab493e7a8161.png

But yeah, seems like you're ballpark about Vancouver too, I guess it makes sense that it's the most expensive real estate in Canada due to economy, geography, close to the US and climate. (I believe it's the warmest city in the whole of Canada)

image.png.3f2ba1d2622deeaf4e5dbe994aa8c9ba.png

Good financial advisors always counsel on keeping your mortgage at around 25% your monthly net, so with that knowledge, we can do a quick back of the napkin math here, for a $1 million house, if you saved to put a downpayment of 10% ($100k), you're probably looking at a mortgage of $4500 a month, and this is with the current low interest rates too! So you'd need to net around $18000 a month to afford that... :laugh:

Oh well... it's a brave new world now with WFH, so we only have to be around these expensive places if we really want to. I can tell you I'm already considering my options here... and there's a lot of options out there.

44 minutes ago, ┌HP┘ said:

But yeah, seems like you're ballpark about Vancouver too, I guess it makes sense that it's the most expensive real estate in Canada due to economy, geography, close to the US and climate. (I believe it's the warmest city in the whole of Canada)

Good financial advisors always counsel on keeping your mortgage at around 25% your monthly net, so with that knowledge, we can do a quick back of the napkin math here, for a $1 million house, if you saved to put a downpayment of 10% ($100k), you're probably looking at a mortgage of $4500 a month, and this is with the current low interest rates too! So you'd need to net around $18000 a month to afford that... :laugh:

Oh well... it's a brave new world now with WFH, so we only have to be around these expensive places if we really want to. I can tell you I'm already considering my options here... and there's a lot of options out there.

I just realized you're in south california. I'm guessing the bay area is even more expensive with all the programmers?

One other thing to note is the pay in Vancouver is relatively quite low, even within Canada. It's gone up a lot for tech people lately though because everyone started leaving.

I guess that's the one thing many of us here have as an advantage. We aren't necessarily tied to our location by our jobs. After the pandemic stuff subsides I'm going to have to put more thought into where I want to live in the next 10 years.

1 hour ago, AlexM said:

I just realized you're in south california. I'm guessing the bay area is even more expensive with all the programmers?

One other thing to note is the pay in Vancouver is relatively quite low, even within Canada. It's gone up a lot for tech people lately though because everyone started leaving.

I guess that's the one thing many of us here have as an advantage. We aren't necessarily tied to our location by our jobs. After the pandemic stuff subsides I'm going to have to put more thought into where I want to live in the next 10 years.

Where I am in OC is a little better if you compare it to SF, sure. The bay area specifically is the most expensive city in the US, even more than Manhattan now. Just before the pandemic hit, a 1 bedroom studio was averaging $3500 a month there, I think it went down a bit since then because everyone's leaving these expensive cities, the "California exodus" is a very real thing, most of my neighbors that are not 60+ are either leaving or considering leaving, there's moving trucks every week around here.
Renting a 20ft uhaul truck used to cost you 700 bucks for 5 days, now it went up to more than 4000 if you're leaving CA, and you're probably looking at a few weeks wait. These are crazy times...

And yeah, you're right we're not tied to a location, which is definitely good, you can go look for a better life somewhere else now more than ever, deffo one of the silver linings of WFH.

1 hour ago, ElectroSheep said:

Dude, 8 years already ? Feels like yesterday for me the explosion of Crycore :o

Dude tell me about it, it's unbelievable, the older you get the weirder the concept of time gets. People love saying "time flies" but that term doesn't really cut it, I think the notion of time changes as you age. I remember back in school times, 3 months used to fucking streeeetch forever, now it's literally a flash.

2 hours ago, ┌HP┘ said:

lmao, almost a million bucks to live in a blando suburb where theres nothing to do but go to the mall and you have to drive to get anywhere

home prices are nuts all over the west coast *cries in seattle*

I can imagine how quickly cost of property is raising in Texas!

I dunno why this apple repair celebrity is doing political videos now, but I stumbled on this craziness: so where people have been able to afford houses, you get insurmountable property tax 😖

12 hours ago, blackdog said:

I can imagine how quickly cost of property is raising in Texas!

I dunno why this apple repair celebrity is doing political videos now, but I stumbled on this craziness: so where people have been able to afford houses, you get insurmountable property tax 😖

TX, house prices are still at around 350k. Property taxes are a little higher than Cali or other states but at least for right now, the difference could be worth it.

10 hours ago, ┌HP┘ said:

TX, house prices are still at around 350k. Property taxes are a little higher than Cali or other states but at least for right now, the difference could be worth it.

Just noting that the video refers to New Jersey / East Coast

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm following a woman who holds a degree in psychology, economics and theology. She reads a lot about psychoanalysis, neuroscience and other fields. She has 280k followers in youtube. Pretty good stuff. Something about reading is that if you buy the right books and you take the time to read, it ends up being much cheaper to buy some books than to spend years in therapy.

It's also incredible how hard it is to find really good professionals in the psychology field. There are a lot of narcissists or just bad therapists out there.

Youtube showed her to me due to the popularity of Big Brother, the reality show. She was commenting about a certain woman in BB that was clearly a narcissist, with behaviors that really match the description of a narcissist. It's shocking to see how a narcissist is, live, on TV, with all the cameras around and nowhere to hide.

Edited by 0kelvin

1 hour ago, 0kelvin said:

I'm following a woman who holds a degree in psychology, economics and theology.

Hell yeah, been fascinated with those 3 topics for the past few years too, i've read a few books and also watched a lot of youtube lectures on them, most recently philosophy as well. Which lead me to learn about history, specifically Roman and ancient Greek history, which so many of our values and language derive from.

I think it's safe to say that psychology and philosophy became my two favorite topics to explore and research on.