Jump to content

What's going on with your life?


Thrik

Recommended Posts

I burned out too while working on Riders Republic at Ubisoft Annecy last year. I can rely and say that not having a full time job is nice ahah. I've had kind of the same recovery moment after the burnout, covid madness and political insanity in France, climate change depression, breaking out with my girlfriend, family member's illness.... Life shit. 

But it's cool, I took time to build new courses for my level design lectures, I finished to write my game career book and signed a contract with a french book editor, I have time to read (I read the Ants trilogy from Bernard Werber, Karl Marx's misery of philosophy (and soon others), and bought many other things like Proust, Balzac and more classics) and exercices more. More importantly, I ride around France during two months by bike, visiting, riding and camping, meeting new people and way of living. That was a energizing adventures for sure. Will do again. 

Now, I have regular lectures in game schools for level design, I've started again my interview podcast of game devs (only in French sorry). The main question now is what do I do? Do I take a new job in a company? There are plenty of opportunities for technical design positions. Or do I go freelance as my heart is telling to? Am I able to work remotely? Am I not already too lonely? Should I live in a big city to benefit of culture and plenty of chicks? Or should I go and live in the countryside to get the garden I need, green lands and space for a dog? Wouldn't I be too lonely ? 

I'm really fighting with myself on those questions. My heart would like to work a third of my time on freelance mission, a third on lectures, and a third doing what I want but the impostor syndrome is challenging my ability to build a freelancing business on level design and tech design. Yet, I have an int for a potential client working on serious games and requesting assistance on UE4 stuff, may be that could be a good start and try for this way of life.

Edited by TheOnlyDoubleF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TheOnlyDoubleF said:

I burned out too while working on Riders Republic at Ubisoft Annecy last year. I can rely and say that not having a full time job is nice ahah. I've had kind of the same recovery moment after the burnout, covid madness and political insanity in France, climate change depression, breaking out with my girlfriend, family member's illness.... Life shit. 

But it's cool, I took time to build new courses for my level design lectures, I finished to write my game career book and signed a contract with a french book editor, I have time to read (I read the Ants trilogy from Bernard Werber, Karl Marx's misery of philosophy (and soon others), and bought many other things like Proust, Balzac and more classics) and exercices more. More importantly, I ride around France during two months by bike, visiting, riding and camping, meeting new people and way of living. That was a energizing adventures for sure. Will do again. 

Now, I have regular lectures in game schools for level design, I've started again my interview podcast of game devs (only in French sorry). The main question now is what do I do? Do I take a new job in a company? There are plenty of opportunities for technical design positions. Or do I go freelance as my heart is telling to? Am I able to work remotely? Am I not already too lonely? Should I live in a big city to benefit of culture and plenty of chicks? Or should I go and live in the countryside to get the garden I need, green lands and space for a dog? Wouldn't I be too lonely ? 

I'm really fighting with myself on those questions. My heart would like to work a third of my time on freelance mission, a third on lectures, and a third doing what I want but the impostor syndrome is challenging my ability to build a freelancing business on level design and tech design. Yet, I have an int for a potential client working on serious games and requesting assistance on UE4 stuff, may be that could be a good start and try for this way of life.

It sounds like you've really been using your time well. Spending 2 months biking around France sounds amazing! Balzac also sounds really interesting, I should read that some day. Maybe in French.

Post a link to the podcast! Quand j'etais un enfant je pouvais parler plus Francais que Englais m'est je n'avais pas parler Francais chaque jour pour 20 ans alors c'est jours mon Francais est merd :D

I'm also heavily struggling with the city vs country thing. My partner is Japanese and the Japanese government is currently giving away 8 million houses, sometimes they even give you extra money to renovate them. We've thought a lot about maybe moving there and possibly having some sort of cafe or business. Either way, Japan is WAY cheaper than Vancouver. Since I'm a programmer I can pretty much work from anywhere and stuff is relatively cheap in Japan compared to where I live.

I'm Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do :)

Here's an example of a cafe started by some game developers close to Tokyo. They run the cafe and work on their games at the cafe at the same time. Sounds amazing https://picopicocafe.com/index_en.html

EDIT : I found some more photos of the cafe with people in it https://placehub.co/articles/2911580594

Edited by AlexM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Voilà le lien vers le podcast : https://open.spotify.com/show/6nyuHat61nBpT8flQcfpZ8?si=C2f4eh6iT22MZz_6pZHiYA ;)

I would not hesitate if the French Government was giving away houses in the countryside ahahah. 

I had some sort of alternative idea too. When I left ubisoft, my plan was to build a place outside of a big city where I could have a small game dev team but also space to have additionnal people working there like local freelancers, etc. A coworking place next to our game dev studio, and possibly welcoming some kind of game art residence there in greenlands. Sure the place would have a common food forest and a crop garden for people working there.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheOnlyDoubleF said:

Voilà le lien vers le podcast : https://open.spotify.com/show/6nyuHat61nBpT8flQcfpZ8?si=C2f4eh6iT22MZz_6pZHiYA ;)

I would not hesitate if the French Government was giving away houses in the countryside ahahah. 

I had some sort of alternative idea too. When I left ubisoft, my plan was to build a place outside of a big city where I could have a small game dev team but also space to have additionnal people working there like local freelancers, etc. A coworking place next to our game dev studio, and possibly welcoming some kind of game art residence there in greenlands. Sure the place would have a common food forest and a crop garden for people working there.

 

 

Sounds awesome, the dream. Can you send me some of your riches please so I can do this.,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, AlexM said:

I'm also heavily struggling with the city vs country thing. My partner is Japanese and the Japanese government is currently giving away 8 million houses, sometimes they even give you extra money to renovate them. We've thought a lot about maybe moving there and possibly having some sort of cafe or business. Either way, Japan is WAY cheaper than Vancouver. Since I'm a programmer I can pretty much work from anywhere and stuff is relatively cheap in Japan compared to where I live.

That's fantastic! I'm surprised they have houses to give away really, thought it was hard to find as they seem so squished together in cities. You talking about apartments or other sorts?

Italy has been doing this as well for several years, or better said, local municipalities that have become progressively deserted due to youngs moving to cities. I think in most cases you have to pay a nominal fee, maybe just some law loophole, but we are talking of €1-2. The catch is that in most cases you have to turn them into businesses, cos they are of course hoping to revive those areas with these operations.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the same sort of deals in past years in central Italy, and I think the occasional "train crossing house" goes on sale (I believe is where crossing operators used to live as they had of course to be on-site to do it).

~

@TheOnlyDoubleF the idea sounds amazing, throw in an Airbnb for game jams :D anyway was great to see your face on your facebook updates during the cycle. Grand adventure, well done!

Edited by blackdog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheOnlyDoubleF said:

Voilà le lien vers le podcast : https://open.spotify.com/show/6nyuHat61nBpT8flQcfpZ8?si=C2f4eh6iT22MZz_6pZHiYA ;)

I would not hesitate if the French Government was giving away houses in the countryside ahahah. 

I had some sort of alternative idea too. When I left ubisoft, my plan was to build a place outside of a big city where I could have a small game dev team but also space to have additionnal people working there like local freelancers, etc. A coworking place next to our game dev studio, and possibly welcoming some kind of game art residence there in greenlands. Sure the place would have a common food forest and a crop garden for people working there.

 

 

That sounds amazing.

 

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

That's fantastic! I'm surprised they have houses to give away really, thought it was hard to find as they seem so squished together in cities. You talking about apartments or other sorts?

Italy has been doing this as well for several years, or better said, local municipalities that have become progressively deserted due to youngs moving to cities. I think in most cases you have to pay a nominal fee, maybe just some law loophole, but we are talking of €1-2. The catch is that in most cases you have to turn them into businesses, cos they are of course hoping to revive those areas with these operations.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the same sort of deals in past years in central Italy, and I think the occasional "train crossing house" goes on sale (I believe is where crossing operators used to live as they had of course to be on-site to do it).

~

@TheOnlyDoubleF the idea sounds amazing, throw in an Airbnb for game jams :D anyway was great to see your face on your facebook updates during the cycle. Grand adventure, well done!

The thing about those 8 million houses is they are in very small towns. Very little of the free stuff is in the city. My understanding is that part of the reason this program exists is there were people who died who were the last of their bloodline so the property went to the government. The other motive is to bring people back to small towns that are losing population. I guess there's some similarities to Italy's program.

About a week back, we did see a listing where you can inherit a large onsen ryokan (traditional japanese hot spring inn) but part of the deal is you have to agree to run it for at least 5 years.I wouldn't be able to pull that off :D

Btw : love those Kirsten Dirksen videos!

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ElectroSheep said:

Also fuck the cold. I wish I was in California or somewhere hotter right now :ohhh:

I went on vacation to Montreal a couple years ago in August and absolutely loved it. Way more interesting city that Vancouver when it comes to nightlife and stuff to do. I was seriously considering moving there.

I mentioned my thoughts to the security guard at the hotel we were staying and he said "maybe take another vacation here in December before you decide to move here :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, AlexM said:

I mentioned my thoughts to the security guard at the hotel we were staying and he said "maybe take another vacation here in December before you decide to move here :D

Yeap, exactly this.

At least Vancouver's weather is way more tolerable, since the pacific ocean (and coast) is way warmer than the atlantic.

I have a friend who just moved from London to Vancouver this week, he told me that if you look at the avg temps between both cities during this time of year, you'd think they're about the same, but Vancouver feels way warmer. This actually sent me down one of those internet rabid holes, and turns out there's other aspects to how cold it feels that temperature (C/F) can't read, there's the dew point and relative humidity and others that might or might not be less relevant like how far you are from the arctic jet streams. So since London tends to feel more humid, 10c will feel way colder than 10c in drier location, which will just feel cool.

But yes, fuck the cold man... I can take rainy weather, but I'm not a fan of freezing my ass off!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ┌HP┘ said:

Yeap, exactly this.

At least Vancouver's weather is way more tolerable, since the pacific ocean (and coast) is way warmer than the atlantic.

I have a friend who just moved from London to Vancouver this week, he told me that if you look at the avg temps between both cities during this time of year, you'd think they're about the same, but Vancouver feels way warmer. This actually sent me down one of those internet rabid holes, and turns out there's other aspects to how cold it feels that temperature (C/F) can't read, there's the dew point and relative humidity and others that might or might not be less relevant like how far you are from the arctic jet streams. So since London tends to feel more humid, 10c will feel way colder than 10c in drier location, which will just feel cool.

But yes, fuck the cold man... I can take rainy weather, but I'm not a fan of freezing my ass off!

That explains a lot. When I lived in Japan it wasn't THAT much hotter than Vancouver in the summer but I was dying and taking like 5 showers a day. It was however WAY more humid. Most of my neighbors had rice paddy's and they would flood them in May. During that time I felt like I was drowning just breathing air :D

Now I know what people mean when they say "it's not the heat, it's the humidity"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AlexM said:

I went on vacation to Montreal a couple years ago in August and absolutely loved it. Way more interesting city that Vancouver when it comes to nightlife and stuff to do. I was seriously considering moving there.

I mentioned my thoughts to the security guard at the hotel we were staying and he said "maybe take another vacation here in December before you decide to move here :D

Yeah have a friend that moves to Montreal for a few months every year for work and when I startd talking Canada he was questioning if I really would like to shovel snow every morning lol.

11 hours ago, ┌HP┘ said:

But yes, fuck the cold man... I can take rainy weather, but I'm not a fan of freezing my ass off!

I'm all for dry cold (or dry heat). Wet is just shit. You go out and you get muddy, wet... the house can get mould and so on.

My year in Namibia was so much better than one summer in NE Italy despite temps in Africa are obviously hotter. Same loved my holiday in Iceland, lots of snow, dry cold... wear the right gear and you don't even feel it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • MapCore on Discord

  • Our picks

    • Mapcore X Prodeus Winners Announced!
      The winners of Mapcore X2 Prodeus 
      1st place: Paws [ Retail Therapy ]
      P-link: m-MC0iuUs2j6

      - $1,500.00 USD 
      - One year of Humble Choice 
      - Excalibur Shotgun and Gauntlets (skins)
      - Biker Gloves (skin) 
      - Special winners role on the Prodeus Discord
       



       

      2nd Place: Grays [ Firebase Kodai ]
      P-link: m-5J9cCzaepH

      - $1000.00 USD 
      - 1 month to Humble Choice 
      - Excalibur Gauntlets + Biker Gloves (skins) 
      - Special winners role on the Prodeus Discord
       


       

      3rd Place: Vladd [ Maximum Menace ]
      P-link: m-9yZfaAliyx

      - $500.00 USD 
      - 1 month to Humble Choice 
      - Biker Gloves (skin)
      - Special winners role on the Prodeus Discord
       


       

      All of the winners will also be showcased on our Youtube channel, and because we had so many amazing entries, we’ll be showcasing parts of our Staff Picks too. 

      We want to thank the wonderful folks over at Mapcore for hosting this sick competition, and a big ol shoutout to our sponsor Humble Games (who publish Prodeus), for making a large contribution to our prize pool this time around. 

      Looking forward to the next competition already! Maybe will do a coop one with teams allowed? WHO KNOW!? Can't wait, see you then!
       
      • 2 replies
×
×
  • Create New...