Thrik

What's going on with your life?

5 hours ago, Minos said:

Who am I to say what's right or wrong but you may be depriving yourself from valuable resources by not complaining. It's useful to complain to friends sometimes, you might get a different perspective on what troubles you, some suggestions, or even a pat on the back to give you some energy. (or a hump from behind if your friend is HP).

A bit unrelated, but the other day the weed was super strong and me and a buddy got into a nice philosophical discussion. He argued that people should do whatever they want as long as they don't harm others. I used to live by that thought, but the more I mature, the more I realize that kind of thinking is what got us into some of the troubles we have today. Sure, you should be free to pursue your dreams and Earthly pleasures, but we also need to develop a stronger sense of duty and responsibility if we are to live better lives, and that means doing things that you don't like sometimes, that benefit the greater good, otherwise we just live a meaningless life chasing after material things and pleasure, never feeling quite content or fulfilled.

In Starship Troopers to become a citizen (and have the right to vote) you first have to serve your country. Of course in reality, this would mean fighting other people's wars. But it would be awesome if we had some program to get benefits in exchange for public service. For example, clean some streets or beaches, or paint some walls, and get a tax break etc...

image.jpeg.2741c3c4d7551ac5c7ae56535a6ad731.jpeg

Ahah, if people would have to serve their country before they vote the participation rate would go down to 3% lol

I wouldn't mind some sort of imbecile filter like a couple extra question on the ballot to verify that you know what you'er voting on, though.

Edited by Buddy

On 8/23/2020 at 4:46 AM, st0lve said:

Hi internets~

I'm good these days, even though I lost my job. Healthy, strong and lots of productive pursuits.

st0lve~

Didn't you start your own company? Or am I tripping? Still skateboarding?

A lot of people heres have had some real tough stuff to deal with. So sorry for people who have lost loved ones or, say, have been in the hospital (Klein glad you are recovering from multiple things) as an example. 

By comparison we have had it easy since my wife and I are both employed, but home schooling two elementary school age kids is brutally tough, even with the "improved" distance learning that started this month compared to end of last academic year in Q2.  

Honestly I just come here to read about what's going on with familiar people that I've known (mostly virtually) for up to 15+ years. HOLY HELL mapcore is that old?  Where are my reading glasses? Get those teenagers off my lawn! By garrr...it's been a while....

On 8/24/2020 at 11:50 PM, Minos said:

st0lve~

Didn't you start your own company? Or am I tripping? Still skateboarding?

I have my own company, but it's almost always been on more of a hobby/side-project basis except for shorter periods of full time focus and/or consultancies. I've been with my last employer for 3 years. I actually got a new job offer yesterday! It's weird to just get job offers without applications or proper interview processes, but it's always been like that for me. Jobs I actually apply for, I typically never hear back from.

Still skateboarding, but I am missing a few ligaments here and there and I am turning 32 tomorrow, so my body isn't what it used to be even though I am physically fit. I do a mix of skateboarding, boulder, bike and yoga. Anything that keeps me out of a traditional gym.

1 hour ago, Corwin said:

I've been working too hard for a few years now, went through some deep burnouts and such, but taking control back a bit. Putting boundaries on work, and investing in a healthier lifestyle -- I realize I don't like living in a city because I don't know what to do when I take a break from work (that is, things that don't involve spending money) and have been picking biking and exercising a bit. The appartement above mine was also not used for the last 3 years but now peeps are moving in and I have to get used to the reality of living in an appartement building (especially since I work late at night to be in sync with the US.)

Working too much did help me save money so I've been looking at houses for a few weeks but running into walls: houses that were sold in less than 24 hours or while I was on my way to visit them, and since I'm renovating my mom's house I don't quite feel like another year's worth of renovations for the next purchase. When I was starting to think I should wait this housing market rush out (the rate of people looking for homes vs those selling is crazy right now in this part of France), I ran into a cool house close to the coast that ticks all my requirements. It's like a 8 min walk to the beach and close to hiking trails. Was dubious at first because there's no cell-phone coverage at all and shittiest internet, but after poking around the town officials guaranteed optic fiber internet and 4G coverage by end of year. My offer was just accepted I got pretty lucky on it as the estimation was done before confinement so prices didn't rise, and I might be selling my flat super quickly and at a good price because there's a high demand in the area. Peeps built it themselves because the whole family worked in construction, so it's a 2nd-hand. Its layout is weird and its interior is a bit odd for the area (the owners liked the style of mountain homes, with lots of visible wood inside), and I'll tweak the decoration, but I generally really like it.

Now if only I could see my american girlfriend, we've been kept apart since February...

4c5c1665-24d3-4042-abfb-2c9ce7948514.jpg

3b4092c9-6da9-4b78-bd0f-9b33a1d667ce.jpg

Aaaaah la Bretagne ❤️ 
Belle maison et excellent choix de vie !
On croise les doigts pour ta copine, chaud :(

PS : yup, french ! ^^  

15 hours ago, Corwin said:

I've been working too hard for a few years now, went through some deep burnouts and such, but taking control back a bit. Putting boundaries on work, and investing in a healthier lifestyle -- I realize I don't like living in a city because I don't know what to do when I take a break from work (that is, things that don't involve spending money) and have been picking biking and exercising a bit. The appartement above mine was also not used for the last 3 years but now peeps are moving in and I have to get used to the reality of living in an appartement building (especially since I work late at night to be in sync with the US.)

Working too much did help me save money so I've been looking at houses for a few weeks but running into walls: houses that were sold in less than 24 hours or while I was on my way to visit them, and since I'm renovating my mom's house I don't quite feel like another year's worth of renovations for the next purchase. When I was starting to think I should wait this housing market rush out (the rate of people looking for homes vs those selling is crazy right now in this part of France), I ran into a cool house close to the coast that ticks all my requirements. It's like a 8 min walk to the beach and close to hiking trails. Was dubious at first because there's no cell-phone coverage at all and shittiest internet, but after poking around the town officials guaranteed optic fiber internet and 4G coverage by end of year. My offer was just accepted I got pretty lucky on it as the estimation was done before confinement so prices didn't rise, and I might be selling my flat super quickly and at a good price because there's a high demand in the area. Peeps built it themselves because the whole family worked in construction, so it's a 2nd-hand. Its layout is weird and its interior is a bit odd for the area (the owners liked the style of mountain homes, with lots of visible wood inside), and I'll tweak the decoration, but I generally really like it.

Now if only I could see my american girlfriend, we've been kept apart since February...

4c5c1665-24d3-4042-abfb-2c9ce7948514.jpg

3b4092c9-6da9-4b78-bd0f-9b33a1d667ce.jpg

Jesus... Thats cozy looking house 🤩 Congratz!