Thrik

What's going on with your life?

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

2020 is really looking like those catastrophic memes that have been going round.

• Two losses in the family, grand uncle and aunt;
  • my mom has been diagnosed with spleen lymphoma, she was in the hospital all last week and they already done the first chemo cycle;
  • on friday they notified me they would make me redundant (i was expecting it but still sucks, considering colleagues keep saying they need more help and because it feels they made their choice based on my work email address -- I was assigned to a company in the group that doesn't need much design work, for accounting purposes, but I was working for all companies and brands of the group).

If it wasn't for the baby I would have more time to feel sad and sorry. She's been doing so many new things recently, just finally started to pull herself up in the last two days as well... shame she's being a pain in going to sleep but hey.

Really sorry to hear that my dude. stay strong!

6 hours ago, blackdog said:

2020 is really looking like those catastrophic memes that have been going round.

• Two losses in the family, grand uncle and aunt;
  • my mom has been diagnosed with spleen lymphoma, she was in the hospital all last week and they already done the first chemo cycle;
  • on friday they notified me they would make me redundant (i was expecting it but still sucks, considering colleagues keep saying they need more help and because it feels they made their choice based on my work email address -- I was assigned to a company in the group that doesn't need much design work, for accounting purposes, but I was working for all companies and brands of the group).

If it wasn't for the baby I would have more time to feel sad and sorry. She's been doing so many new things recently, just finally started to pull herself up in the last two days as well... shame she's being a pain in going to sleep but hey.

Life is a bitch sometimes and slaps us in the face, but these moments are also moments of growth and evolution. Sometimes these changes (like the job change) will lead you to an even better job in the future. Best luck to your mom, hope she recovers quickly!

Stay strong blackdog. Use this to come out stronger on the other side, reinforce your own foundational values and embody them. 

It's a strange ass year, that's for damn sure.

9 hours ago, [HP] said:

Yo mapcore, how you all doing?

My grandpa died in hospital presumably due to the virus or usual negligence, my left neighbors wife got cancer and my right neighbors husband got the virus. A close family friends father has died to the virus as well. It fills me with anger every time I see groups of people without masks.

My view of this country has pretty much fallen apart over the past few years. People are living paycheck to paycheck and irresponsible corps are getting bailed out for their mismanagement of billions. We now have to choose from two horrendous candidates that had their campaigns funded by a handful of the 0.1%. We have 25% of the world prison population and one of the highest re offending rates. Crime is exponentially higher than similar countries. I can go on for days like this. Every developed country has issues but the US takes it to the next level, thinking it is the best all the while. It seems like it is too late to do anything and we have been falling down pretty much every social progress index since the 90s while disparity grows.

I need to get out of this nightmare by 25

Been on my new job since 6 or 7 weeks now. It's faaaaar way more interesting from all I did during 1 year and a half on my previous one. It was a though move as it took a lot of time to change as I had to make another visa but it was for the best.

You know, you move to another country for some fresh air and because your wife reaaally want to but you just took the first job that comes because you are sick of a year of failed tests and interviews. Then you are in another country, stuck in a job you dislike since the first month because of a closed work permit and 25 000 dollars to reimburse if you leave. The feeling that your career and your skills are not growing, you make friends but, well, even if I like them a lot, I miss my coworkers from Arkane sooo much it hurts.

Then this fucking COVID and you have to work from home on a game that is not looking good but you do all you can while keeping your baby at home because daycare is closed and your wife, having an important job, can't work at home. It was a harsh and very depressive times but I kept the pain inside because I made my wife very happy and my baby will have a waaaay more interesting childhood than mine, and also because of all the shits that happened this year, it nothing really, some people are having worse, I would have been a fucking crybaby.

But I had this little question in my mind, did I really made the right decision ?

Now I'm happy, even if I'm working at home, I'm working with cool people, we talk a lot on discord, the kid is in daycare, we are moving on a bigger condo where I will have an office (won't work anymore in the bedroom, yeah !) even if will will miss the area we are living right now. And I like my job ! It's cool, interesting, not perfect of course, but well paid and I will learn a lot. Well I will learn and do what my previous company promised me when they took me in an interview, those fucking liars !!! (even the job daycare was a lie, seriously !) I"m just happy of all the shit this company has to take now (but I hope good people won't be to much in trouble also). Never again.

tl;dr :

My life, after a strange turn, is finally going in the right direction. :)

Edited by ElectroSheep

I was going to complain here but then I made a mental checklist of how things are going and there is honestly nothing I can reasonably complain about.

It's my responsibility to fix stuff that bothers me.. so I guess I really can't have a moan? There are things that are out of our control but most really aren't.

2 hours ago, Buddy said:

I was going to complain here but then I made a mental checklist of how things are going and there is honestly nothing I can reasonably complain about.

It's my responsibility to fix stuff that bothers me.. so I guess I really can't have a moan? There are things that are out of our control but most really aren't.

Fuckin A, only this mentality will take us out of this mess, the dichotomy of control.

1 hour ago, Evert said:

Isnt talking about stuff; like moaning also part of dealing with it? Otherwise, whats the point of your post lmao

Well, to talk about stuff is one thing, to moan is another, amirite?

Not that I think this is a problem around these parts, unless we're talking about CS xD

11 hours ago, Buddy said:

Who am I to say what's right or wrong but you may be depriving yourself from valuable resources by not complaining. It's useful to complain to friends sometimes, you might get a different perspective on what troubles you, some suggestions, or even a pat on the back to give you some energy. (or a hump from behind if your friend is HP).

A bit unrelated, but the other day the weed was super strong and me and a buddy got into a nice philosophical discussion. He argued that people should do whatever they want as long as they don't harm others. I used to live by that thought, but the more I mature, the more I realize that kind of thinking is what got us into some of the troubles we have today. Sure, you should be free to pursue your dreams and Earthly pleasures, but we also need to develop a stronger sense of duty and responsibility if we are to live better lives, and that means doing things that you don't like sometimes, that benefit the greater good, otherwise we just live a meaningless life chasing after material things and pleasure, never feeling quite content or fulfilled.

In Starship Troopers to become a citizen (and have the right to vote) you first have to serve your country. Of course in reality, this would mean fighting other people's wars. But it would be awesome if we had some program to get benefits in exchange for public service. For example, clean some streets or beaches, or paint some walls, and get a tax break etc...

image.jpeg.2741c3c4d7551ac5c7ae56535a6ad731.jpeg