Thrik

What's going on with your life?

Very interesting @AlexM, and those numbers are impressive, I would think that without the right weight and pushback/resistance caused by real human flesh/bone, the best improvement you would have is just knowledge.

Also I imagine at some point this will be the way all operations will be conducted, I mean surgical robot arms controlled from the room next door (or maybe the other side of the continent!)

6 hours ago, AlexM said:

Oh man, I've had to watch so much surgery footage as research. At first I could barely watch and now I can eat a hamburger while watching most surgery. Unless they are pumping the patient full of saline, human water balloons still freak me out :D

Dude, this is some legit badassery right here. Talk about stuff that's going to better the human race. 

Do you think that VR allowing for the opportunity to explore fields like these is exactly the kind of stuff that will make it explode? 

Something tells me that video games might not actually be what makes VR popular, and widely used, it'll be more utilitarian stuff like this. Like your phone, it plays games sure, some of them even really good but you don't really use it for that, mainly. 

On 6/6/2020 at 12:50 AM, blackdog said:

Very interesting @AlexM, and those numbers are impressive, I would think that without the right weight and pushback/resistance caused by real human flesh/bone, the best improvement you would have is just knowledge.

Also I imagine at some point this will be the way all operations will be conducted, I mean surgical robot arms controlled from the room next door (or maybe the other side of the continent!)

The lack of proper resistance is one of the biggest problems. There is hardware out there that helps alleviate the problem but it's far from ideal. Here's an example : https://haptx.com/

In some countries that typically cremate their dead it can be extremely difficult to procure practice bodies. So hard that sometimes a surgeon performs their first surgery on a living patient. In those cases you could say that VR training is better than no training. Of course I'm no medical professional so take my opinion as such :)

On 6/6/2020 at 1:15 AM, [HP] said:

Dude, this is some legit badassery right here. Talk about stuff that's going to better the human race. 

Do you think that VR allowing for the opportunity to explore fields like these is exactly the kind of stuff that will make it explode? 

Something tells me that video games might not actually be what makes VR popular, and widely used, it'll be more utilitarian stuff like this. Like your phone, it plays games sure, some of them even really good but you don't really use it for that, mainly. 

I definitely do feel VR is more suited for non-gaming stuff than gaming stuff. I often play games for more than 30 mins at a time and that's just too long to wear a headset. Also a lot of games I don't feel are necessarily better in VR. It's kind of like going to an amusement park. You love the rollercoaster but you don't want that rollercoaster in your back yard every day of your life, it loses its appeal. I think just about every experience I've enjoyed the most in VR were not games (painting, meeting, google earth, etc etc).

In the case of training or an online meeting you most likely won't be spending large amount of time with the headset mounted so it certainly feels like the better direction for VR.

One other thing to note is the current hardware also is just too bulky for the mainstream IMO. Especially for non-tethered solutions. I'm looking forward to when they can get a headset that has a comparable feel to a pair of glasses and has no cables or computer required. To get there ARM or someone else really has to push a lot harder on mobile processors, they have been stagnating the last few years. Apple seems to the only company really making moves on that front that I know of.

Edited by AlexM

On 6/7/2020 at 7:30 PM, FMPONE said:

So happy for you, you seem like a really proud dad!

Thank you! Yeah I’d say that is taxing and feel like I can’t do anything else, but it does also feel rewarding.

We don’t know if there is some underlying problem, the health visitor that sees us has (had) some concern in terms of development/learning… basically that she could have a mild autism. We are booked to see someone but because of Covid nothing happens.

Fingers crossed it’s nothing, I kept saying and observing that she grew awfully fast (at 8 mo she was already as big as some 1 yr old, she wasn’t that far from my best friend’s 3 yrs old!), she had quite a big head impeding/making movement harder, plus she’s been teething like crazy, she has almost every teeth out already, when friend’s say theirs (born about same time) have 4. The pretty much constant pain must be distracting and slow her.

In this period, I came to the conclusion that the expression “some teething problems” [in IT] sounds much less problematic than it is real teething. Maybe is just me being English my second language.

Edited by blackdog

have you guys heard about nz nexus, the epic map decompiler who ruled the IRC and natural selection forums with the most bizzare quotes such as zimbabwe matrix codes and nigeria off topic, made ken20banks fall of his chair and more.

could mandy be nexus? no one knows.. very interesting. i think nexus got banned alot from forums because he made such amazing maps that people could not believe so they blamed on nexus that the maps were decompiled, in fact they were not.

hmm.

ask yourself again

could mandy be nexus?

Edited by mandy lane
funny

46 minutes ago, mandy lane said:

have you guys heard about nz nexus, the epic map decompiler who ruled the IRC and natural selection forums with the most bizzare quotes such as zimbabwe matrix codes and nigeria off topic, made ken20banks fall of his chair and more.

could mandy be nexus? no one knows.. very interesting. i think nexus got banned alot from forums because he made such amazing maps that people could not believe so they blamed on nexus that the maps were decompiled, in fact they were not.

hmm.

ask yourself again

could mandy be nexus?

giphy.gif

We are all too old to live through the Nexus years again. It took years off our lives.

Also I'm convinced it was rick or peris taking trolling to a new level :v 

3 hours ago, dux said:

We are all too old to live through the Nexus years again. It took years off our lives.

You think it's a coincidence that rickd just posted a few days ago? ZING

On 7/3/2020 at 4:00 PM, dux said:

Nah man, I also saw Nexus in a music forum years ago, dude's legit.

20 hours ago, kleinluka said:

Appendicitis in March, now I have a kidney stone. Fuck you 2020.

Fuck bro. Get better. 

Kidney stones are not a fun thing to get. 

2020 is really looking like those catastrophic memes that have been going round.

• Two losses in the family, grand uncle and aunt;
  • my mom has been diagnosed with spleen lymphoma, she was in the hospital all last week and they already done the first chemo cycle;
  • on friday they notified me they would make me redundant (i was expecting it but still sucks, considering colleagues keep saying they need more help and because it feels they made their choice based on my work email address -- I was assigned to a company in the group that doesn't need much design work, for accounting purposes, but I was working for all companies and brands of the group).

If it wasn't for the baby I would have more time to feel sad and sorry. She's been doing so many new things recently, just finally started to pull herself up in the last two days as well... shame she's being a pain in going to sleep but hey.