What's going on with your life?

Thrik

• 1 month later...

As probably most of the UK workforce, I am being furloughed so the government can pay 80% of our wages and the companies can keep us on (for now).

It's shitty to receive an email at 17:20 about it, with the thing starting two days after.

Hope everyone here is quite safe with their jobs and can continue doing what they love.
Working from home without a proper office setup is quite hard, especially with a baby. Also I feel my partner hasn't gotten the understanding of the seriousness of the situation, or worse, I fear she looks forward me losing the job so we can move to Scotland with her dad ?

Damn, sorry to hear it dude. At least you're still getting a bit of cash!

How's everyone getting on with this coronavirus shiz? It's a weird time, even though I work from home anyway, it just feels.. different.

A few months ago, me and my partner found out we're gonna struggle to have kids naturally, so were going to go through IVF treatment.. that has now been postponed so it will likely be a year before we can even start IVF treatment. Really sucks, because it now means we're going to be slightly older parents if we choose to go through with it. Fuck you Coronavirus, and fuck people going out and increasing the chances of spreading it to other people and prolonging the situation.

3rd week for us. Hard to work from home with a 15 months old kid who love to climb everywhere. My wife is working for a medical company and is not here 80% of the time. The worst thing for me is my job. I'm in the process of changing and should have started my new one 3 weeks ago. But I'm having trouble getting the papers and everything in slow down with this shit. So now I'm between a company that is waiting for me and another one wondering when I'm leaving.

5 hours ago, PogoP said:

Really sucks, because it now means we're going to be slightly older parents if we choose to go through with it. Fuck you Coronavirus, and fuck people going out and increasing the chances of spreading it to other people and prolonging the situation.

You've got plenty of weeks ahead of you to try it old school! Good luck man.

Hang in tight there everyone, these are hard times for everyone, but there's still loads of things to be thankful for, this shit will pass soon and we'll be back to complaining about Trump and tities in video games in no time.

Switching over to WFH hasn't been too bad for me. The only issue is we currently live with my fiance's parents whilst we save for a house. So my PC is in our bedroom and since my fiance works nights (she's an essential worker) and I start work in the morning she's forced to sleep elsewhere. Could be worse though.

In good news we had our offer on a house accepted and got our mortgage application submitted just in time. Most banks are now retracting all of their mortgages since nobody knows wtf will happen with the economy or anything. So we've almost got our foot on the ladder, just wish we could move now!

Edited by Beck

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working from home for about a month now. Luckily I still have my job. On March 24th my body decided "Now is a good time to give this guy appendicitis"...so I went to the ER and had my appendix taken out. Let me tell you... NOT a good time to be in the hospital right now. They treated me like I had the virus as a precaution (was actually good to see!)... Whenever a nurse entered my room they had to put on an additional gown on top of the one they were already wearing, a new face mask, and a face shield...then when they left the room they threw it all into a bin. It was quite surreal. I am back at home now and it's been about 3 weeks since my surgery. Still in some pain but hopefully gonna get better soon. Feeling lucky that both me and the fiancee still have jobs and can continue to pay our rent and bills.

That being said, both my mom and stepdad were diagnosed with stomach cancer last year and both had their stomach taken out. My mom additionally was diagnosed with Mesothelioma (a cancer caused by asbestos) and had to have that surgically removed as well. Suffice to say they are both extremely immune-compromised and living in Germany while I am in Canada. It's nerve wrecking.

On the bright side I've been playing a lot of videogames obviously.... I am playing through the entire Uncharted series again, just finished Uncharted 1 :) .... Also started re-watching The Walking Dead which made me realize that things could be A LOT worse lol.

Hang in there everyone!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Phew, what an experience @kleinluka! Happy all turned out alright, also sorry to hear about your parents, it must be very hard to be so far away and unable to visit anyway. I’ve been thinking since this started how difficult would be if I had to go back if something serious happened.

Actually, I lost my grand-uncle a couple weeks ago*, but of course can’t go there, couldn’t even have the funeral anyway.

*(not Covid-19, he had an aneurysm and was already suffering of dementia – which debilitated him at a scary pace, but I think that’s better for him as I imagine he couldn’t realise what was happening)

~
I’ve binged on the latest TWD as well -4 ep in one sitting- leaving ep 15 to go along 16, but I read around it’s not clear when will come out due to the pandemic.

The Uncharted serie might be the next game(s) I play on the PS after completing TLOU… just have too many games started at once and I happened to get really into This War of Mine after starting it as a design research ?

Edited by blackdog

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to be working on my home office for the previous year. Now I'm actually using it. I must say for my line of work WFH makes more sense. Ideally I'd go into the office once or twice a week for design meetings and my general sanity though.

Anywhoo. Epic just did a video on our company. We use the unreal engine.

Oh man, I've had to watch so much surgery footage as research. At first I could barely watch and now I can eat a hamburger while watching most surgery. Unless they are pumping the patient full of saline, human water balloons still freak me out :D

Very interesting @AlexM, and those numbers are impressive, I would think that without the right weight and pushback/resistance caused by real human flesh/bone, the best improvement you would have is just knowledge.

Also I imagine at some point this will be the way all operations will be conducted, I mean surgical robot arms controlled from the room next door (or maybe the other side of the continent!)