Thrik

What's going on with your life?

My baby is sick for the first time in 9 months. Harsh time, haven't really slept last few night. :(

And that when you understand you were on the small lucky side of parents being able to have full nights of sleep. Can't immagine when your kiid don't sleep how it could be difficult ^^

So a couple of days ago, I worked my first day. It's quite nice actually. But I'm really gonna have to get used to standing all that time. But aside from that, it's quite simple. I'm sure I'll get used to it! And besides, the pay is actually above average for the position! So that's a plus :D

Once again, thank you all for wishing me luck! It looks like I'll finally be able to take my brother bowling like he always asks me to!

Edited by That50'sGuy

On 11/22/2019 at 6:55 PM, That50'sGuy said:

Well it's nothing too fancy, I now man the deli counter at my local grocery store. But I'm still super grateful! :D

I also recently started a new job working on the counters in a local store. I am training to work as a baker primarily but also on deli, meat and fish. Certainly, isnt my life long career but it pays decently and you get to learn a lot about food. It beats shelf stacking any day even if the standing up and early starts can get tiring.

Good for you guys, this kind of work it’s useful, especially if you are interested in food/cooking. But in general, low level stuff builds confidence, life skills… and motivation to aspire do something else.

it also keeps you humble and lets you appreciate people that do these jobs for you once you move on.

Funny I also applied and was offered a position at deli/fishmonger counter once :D

I worked as a cafe/bar waiter as my first summer job, summer postman to pay uni; when I moved here in the uk I ended up working four years in hospitality and catering, went from cleaning rooms and toilets and be a cook’s aid to manage the department.

It was quite hard with the incredibly long hours and living on-site to get out of there but I managed to get at least back into web design (for now 😌)

Edited by blackdog

Makes me nostalgic... I also did my fair share of work in the food industry, from 14 to 20 years old to be exact... butcher, fast food cook, cashier, diver, boss boy, you name it!

Nowadays one thing I like to say is this: 50% of the skillset you need for your dream job is common to any job. So you can always work on fundamental skills like teamwork, social, discipline, professionalism, etc. and master those while you're on your way to your dream job 😌

Congrats @That50'sGuy and @Quotingmc 👍👍

On 11/24/2019 at 5:05 PM, 0kelvin said:

I think I'll quit japanese classes. For this beginner level I think it's just too expensive and I can go on with textbooks alone.

Do you have someone you can talk to easily outside of class? That's generally the main reason I go to classes. That and forcing me to practice grammar I'm too lazy to do at home ;)