Thrik

What's going on with your life?

11 hours ago, [HP] said:

My problem is debt, so , i can't really do anything about that. When my ex left me i had to sell the house when it was a rough time, so i had to sell it for less than it was worth. So, if anyone knows a magic way of reseting debts plz let me know :D

21 minutes ago, dux said:

11 hours ago, dux said:

Finding out that literally everyone is a paedo.

This story is much more complicated than it appears on the surface. She was on a website looking for a Sugar Daddy, they were together 3 times willingly and who knows if she didn't lie about her age? We have to be careful about demonizing everyone in this climate of fear and suspicion that we live now. They could have probably dealt with this a lot better than by going to the authorities, who only see black OR white (literally lol). There's also a huge difference between dating a 15 year-old, who is using her free will to look for an older dude on a creepy website, to being a pedophile (someone who sexually abuses kids and fucks them up for life, which is clearly not the case here). Mistakes were made on both sides.

I dunno man, give the right (or wrong) set of circumstances and it could happen to anyone.

On 2/4/2018 at 1:06 AM, Minos said:

This story is much more complicated than it appears on the surface. She was on a website looking for a Sugar Daddy, they were together 3 times willingly and who knows if she didn't lie about her age? We have to be careful about demonizing everyone in this climate of fear and suspicion that we live now. They could have probably dealt with this a lot better than by going to the authorities, who only see black OR white (literally lol). There's also a huge difference between dating a 15 year-old, who is using her free will to look for an older dude on a creepy website, to being a pedophile (someone who sexually abuses kids and fucks them up for life, which is clearly not the case here). Mistakes were made on both sides.

I dunno man, give the right (or wrong) set of circumstances and it could happen to anyone.

I wrote for Cliffes Half-Life website back in the days, posted news. I remember him being a rather arrogant man but we got hooked up with CS betas before they actually got released officialy. This is the only reason i kept writing haha. Hopefully it's not true, as Minos said, the #metoo movement here in Sweden has been crazy. People being hanged in media before even found guilty by a court. 

I'm okay with people being hanged after they have been found guilty. 

My father commited suicide 2004, and all i had was 4 pictures or so of him. I really loved my father and he was the best, so, when my cousin randomly sent me a dropbox video on messenger two days ago i thought it was a virus or something.

Turns out it was a video from when my grandmother turned 70. And my dad was there, and i got to hear his voice again. I never thought i would be able to do that again. Best thing in a long long time for me!! 

Edited by Tisky

On 2/3/2018 at 2:57 AM, Tisky said:

My problem is debt, so , i can't really do anything about that. When my ex left me i had to sell the house when it was a rough time, so i had to sell it for less than it was worth. So, if anyone knows a magic way of reseting debts plz let me know :D

I recomended you a fantastic book, written by a fantastic professor, and try and stop for a minute to analyse your reaction. 

There's no magic way out of anything, only taking responsibility for who you are, what you did that took you there, and your own life, and own it. We all need to play with the cards we were dealt man. 

Absofuckinlutely dude. 

Sam Harris is also an incredible character, he introduced me to meditation and how to be mindfully open while leaving dogma at the door. 

As for peterson, take everything anyone tells you with a grain of salt is indeed a good life mantra, pretty sure even he would agree with that as well. Because if you're unwilling to question your beliefs, you will never know if you are following the truth, or lies.

Both the above-mentioned persons actually had and keep having a huge impact in my life, last few weeks I've been devouring Peterson's lectures, it's usually some very thought provoking and interesting stuff, I can see why he's hated by the far left, we game devs and those in academia are sitting in ground zero for that kind of ideology, so it's important to balance the scale with a vaste array of knowledge, be it biology, sociology or psychology, so to keep your eyes open to the very interesting social and political environment we're living in. 

I tend to stay away from his biblical studies, and you touched on why, it's all stuff that is up to interpretation and open to mind masturbation, I can see why he thinks old wisdom can still be applied to todays world but I prefer to look ahead rather than backwards, maybe to a fault, time will tell. 

Ps. That Cathy Newman/Channel 4 interview is probably one of the most hilarious 30 minutes I've ever spent on youtube. Lol

On 2/19/2018 at 8:51 AM, [HP] said:

I recomended you a fantastic book, written by a fantastic professor, and try and stop for a minute to analyse your reaction. 

There's no magic way out of anything, only taking responsibility for who you are, what you did that took you there, and your own life, and own it. We all need to play with the cards we were dealt man. 

Yeah, but, its pretty hard to "climb" and try to earn more money than i do today. And i have cutten out all extra expenses that i can, sure, in the long run, i will be free. I just wish i could shorten the time to get there, what book was it that you recommended, i must have missed that?

2 hours ago, Tisky said:

Yeah, but, its pretty hard to "climb" and try to earn more money than i do today. And i have cutten out all extra expenses that i can, sure, in the long run, i will be free. I just wish i could shorten the time to get there, what book was it that you recommended, i must have missed that?

You got this man.

You can find the book here, and the short 1.5 hour video of it here.
May I also recommend you take a look at stoicism? Something tells me that just shifting your outlook in life, may make it much better with patience and persistence.

20 hours ago, [HP] said:

if you're unwilling to question your beliefs, you will never know if you are following the truth, or lies.

The reality is much more complex tho, i'm going full philosophy here, but it's extremely complicated to get rid of dogmas, at some point, the only way to make a judgment is to accepts axioms as inherent parts of our representation of the reality, (you accept that what you see/hear/smell is indeed the only representation of what could be the interpretation of reality), and therefore you can't legitimately consider the opposite of a dogma because it would ultimately lead you to a degree of nihilism of some sort, in both way, either you can say you're mindfully open about everything, then you can't really believe in anything, or you're saying that dogmas and axioms are the only way to get an answer, but you'll never know if it's the right one.

I personally think that the confirmation bias is ruling the way we apprehend logic and understanding, and whatever you think, your pre-existant beliefs will ultimately lead you towards a more invariable mindset than a more mindful mind, whatever that means.

Nihilism or dogmas, pick one.

/philosophical rant

6 hours ago, RaVaGe said:

The reality is much more complex tho, i'm going full philosophy here, but it's extremely complicated to get rid of dogmas, at some point, the only way to make a judgment is to accepts axioms as inherent parts of our representation of the reality, (you accept that what you see/hear/smell is indeed the only representation of what could be the interpretation of reality), and therefore you can't legitimately consider the opposite of a dogma because it would ultimately lead you to a degree of nihilism of some sort, in both way, either you can say you're mindfully open about everything, then you can't really believe in anything, or you're saying that dogmas and axioms are the only way to get an answer, but you'll never know if it's the right one.

I personally think that the confirmation bias is ruling the way we apprehend logic and understanding, and whatever you think, your pre-existant beliefs will ultimately lead you towards a more invariable mindset than a more mindful mind, whatever that means.

Nihilism or dogmas, pick one.

/philosophical rant

Well, there's a lot to unpack here, and you forgot to mention a third element on top of nihilism or dogmas: cognitive dissonance, which is also dangerous, because no meaningful progress would take place.

Can't an axiom can be used as a tool though? Even though it's inherently a subset of truism. It can still exist inside your "orienting reflex" that allows you to look at ideas that are thought provoking, and makes you question. Once you hear, read or see something that doesn't necessarily fit into your little box of pre-existing ideals, axioms or what have you, the first thing one does is act defensively, we are wired for that to happen for some reason (probably an evolutionary reason), because for our mind it's new and dangerous, (confirmation bias as you called it) but it's important to let your exploratory systems be activated. That is a great place to be in, because you go from skepticism to enhanced attention.
Good science needs to be skeptical about anomalies, otherwise we'd live in chaos, but it also needs to be able to shift in light of better ideas or new research.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I don't necessarily agree with you that nihilism and dogma need to be mutually exclusive, I actually believe that standing right in the middle of order and chaos can, and probably is, one of the most enlightening frame of minds a person can be, as long as you don't go over the border of cognitive dissonance. it's for me, the yin yang of philosophy that I try to live my own life in.

PS. In regards to the above post, there's maps being worked on and posted here on a daily basis, what are you talking about lol.

16 hours ago, [HP] said:

Well, there's a lot to unpack here, and you forgot to mention a third element on top of nihilism or dogmas: cognitive dissonance, which is also dangerous, because no meaningful progress would take place.

Can't an axiom can be used as a tool though? Even though it's inherently a subset of truism. It can still exist inside your "orienting reflex" that allows you to look at ideas that are thought provoking, and makes you question. Once you hear, read or see something that doesn't necessarily fit into your little box of pre-existing ideals, axioms or what have you, the first thing one does is act defensively, we are wired for that to happen for some reason (probably an evolutionary reason), because for our mind it's new and dangerous, (confirmation bias as you called it) but it's important to let your exploratory systems be activated. That is a great place to be in, because you go from skepticism to enhanced attention.
Good science needs to be skeptical about anomalies, otherwise we'd live in chaos, but it also needs to be able to shift in light of better ideas or new research.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I don't necessarily agree with you that nihilism and dogma need to be mutually exclusive, I actually believe that standing right in the middle of order and chaos can, and probably is, one of the most enlightening frame of minds a person can be, as long as you don't go over the border of cognitive dissonance. it's for me, the yin yang of philosophy that I try to live my own life in.

PS. In regards to the above post, there's maps being worked on and posted here on a daily basis, what are you talking about lol.

CS:GO maps *, they don't count. :P

I don't think you can really stand in the middle, you can have this feeling of course, kind of like how we believe that our decisions are determined by our own free will, which is totally delusional to some extent.

But don't mind what i've said tbh, it's purely intellectual masturbation and in the end it doesn't matter, as long as you enjoy what you're doing it's ok I guess.