What's going on with your life?

Thrik

18 hours ago, Bastion said:

Starting work a week from now and the one vital item I need is my passport, can't work without it.

Surprise surprise, it's gone missing.

aaaaaaa

Nightmare over, I can use my birth certificate instead, which I've got with me still.

Aside from that I got my photocard done today so I can buy my monthly train tickets.

I'm almost ready, six days to go!

Edited by Bastion

Haven't posted in here for quite a while. Just lurking, but I feel I have something to share.

I came back from vacation this monday and starting a new work routine. Now I work 50% (9.00 AM-14.00 PM) at The Game Assembly, still as level design teacher and 50% (14.15-18.00 PM) at my own studio. Over the course of 3,5 years I haven't worked on a daily basis on my own studio and I'm finally there, can't believe it. Earlier there was always another mail to read/write, a tweet to post/answer, spontaneous 2-4 hour meetings in the middle of the week et cetera, another hole in the budget for me to solve singlehandedly within 3-4 weeks with impending doom of being forced to fire our two fulltime programmers - but now that's over. Finally I can focus, well rested and DAY TIME. 

Always had the plan of dropping down to 50% with my teaching job but I didn't intend on it happening so soon. The trigger for this change was actually some kind of a breakdown, some six weeks ago, a sunday night, I just couldn't fall asleep due to massive stress, head was spinning, couldn't stand up because of the diziness. I guess my body finally gave me a serious response. I didn't go to work the following week and when I came back I had a serious talk with my boss. We concluded that my work situation didn't work out and I got to drop down. It was a weird experience to me, I think I remember myself being a lot more stressed out than that evening/night because of much more urgent and important matters but I guess it was about the longitude.

It's not only that I want to vent this. I really just want to once again mention the pains of overtime and why you REALLY should listen to yourself. If it wasn't for the fact that I could escape my life for the full length of swedish summer vacation (4 weeks) I'm not sure what would've happend. I'm not sure I was close to 'burning out', but not being able to stand up because of the pressing thoughts in your head aren't good signs.

Anyway, now I feel good and well rested after the vacation and I decided it was time I separate my home from work. I have uninstalled slack from my home pc, disconnected my workmail et cetera (I think you should too.) Still haven't figured what I'm gonna do with all this free mental space, but that's not really a problem.

And that feels so fucking good to say.

Edited by Sjonsson

Sucks that you had to go through that Stefan, but in the end it worked out alright. I completely support your removing work distractions from your home life as it is highly disruptive and stress inducing to be at home and still have your mind on work. I too learned this lesson (not quite as harsh as your version). It really does wonders to make the distinctions necessary for us to decompress.

As for what to do with your new found free time, I suggest taking up something that is relaxing to you. As an example, I cook to relax. It takes my mind completely off of the day's to-do lists and I focus solely on what's in front of me (delicious food). Not to mention it makes the wife very happy too (women love men who can cook). Stay away from anything that is actually related (in subject) to your work though. It would only help drive your mind back towards your work and potentially re-trigger your stress.

22 hours ago, Sigma said:

Sucks that you had to go through that Stefan, but in the end it worked out alright. I completely support your removing work distractions from your home life as it is highly disruptive and stress inducing to be at home and still have your mind on work. I too learned this lesson (not quite as harsh as your version). It really does wonders to make the distinctions necessary for us to decompress.

As for what to do with your new found free time, I suggest taking up something that is relaxing to you. As an example, I cook to relax. It takes my mind completely off of the day's to-do lists and I focus solely on what's in front of me (delicious food). Not to mention it makes the wife very happy too (women love men who can cook). Stay away from anything that is actually related (in subject) to your work though. It would only help drive your mind back towards your work and potentially re-trigger your stress.

Thanks for the fine words! :) 

Yeah I think you're entirely right. I've decided to do some interior design in my appartment like buying some old stuff and refurbish them. You're not the first who warns me about re-triggers, I hope the structural difference, that I now only work daytime is enough to have it sorted. Gotta get that wifu thing sorted as well.

Serious stuff @Sjonsson, glad you managed to find a quick solution and I'm sure you will feel much more rewarded.

Definitely overtime is a killer, I always say that giving back time when company has downtime, doesn't really help because sustained overtime feel "longer" (the time it take to relax is much longer than the hours you will take back in downtime).

I didn't experience what you experienced but I have been this close to say "fuck you" to my boss, I would play Doom or music as loud as I could to make people around me aware I was angry, and went outside in the bin where we throw broken crockery to smash stuff up…

Been eating healthy and working out for a week now, feels good. I have more energy even tho i started working hard after the summer vacation. I try to keep my mind focused on this instead of the shitty first half of the year. Damn women! 

She finally seem to have stopped stalking me, and liking my posts and it feels good. I am on tinder and shit, occasionally i talk to someone interesting but once they find out i have kids almost full time on my own they stop replying. Sucks.

Altho talking to other women and working out sets my mind off the girl i still miss, and it gets me more motivated to work out. I will look so good i am the one dissing them. Best motivation so far for me haha. 

I wish i lived in a bigger town, where the odds of meeting someone that isn't 10 years older or younger than me was actually possible. I have slowly started accepting my situation and that feels bad. My hope is getting fit and more attractive, if that fails, i am out of options really (since i cannot move). Anyway! One day maybe that someone special turns out living next door. Time for some dumbbells.

On 07/08/2017 at 6:18 PM, blackdog said:

I didn't experience what you experienced but I have been this close to say "fuck you" to my boss, I would play Doom or music as loud as I could to make people around me aware I was angry, and went outside in the bin where we throw broken crockery to smash stuff up…

> Playing Doom while being at work

> Complain about your boss

> ...

> Profit

14 hours ago, Bastion said:

Had my first couple days at my new job, and my god. Fucking amazing.

Only downside is the trains, left at half six tonight and got hit with delays going home, took me nearly two hours when it usually takes one.

Yeah commuting sucks but when you have an awesome job it's not so bad. My commute is about 1 hour 15 by car each way. Took me nearly 2 hours today though since there was a crash.

I guess the good thing about a train is you can get yourself a laptop and work on something if you can get a table! I've sometimes contemplated moving to the train (2 hours each way) and getting a laptop so I can work on a level or something.

Glad you're enjoying it though! Can you say what you're working on?

Edited by Beck

6 hours ago, RaVaGe said:

> Playing Doom while being at work

> Complain about your boss

> ...

> Profit

Clarification: I have a room to live in where I work, was playing straight after work…

~

Just waiting for my flight to take off and head to Toronto. My first time across the Atlantic!

Been such a rush, didn't sleep last night to pack ?

On 2017-08-07 at 6:18 PM, blackdog said:

Serious stuff @Sjonsson, glad you managed to find a quick solution and I'm sure you will feel much more rewarded.

Definitely overtime is a killer, I always say that giving back time when company has downtime, doesn't really help because sustained overtime feel "longer" (the time it take to relax is much longer than the hours you will take back in downtime).

Totally agree with how long it actually takes to relax and regenerate. Longetivity burn tears you up good.

Haha, I never had that anger with a boss. Man must be really hard. :D

9 hours ago, Beck said:

Yeah commuting sucks but when you have an awesome job it's not so bad. My commute is about 1 hour 15 by car each way. Took me nearly 2 hours today though since there was a crash.

I guess the good thing about a train is you can get yourself a laptop and work on something if you can get a table! I've sometimes contemplated moving to the train (2 hours each way) and getting a laptop so I can work on a level or something.

Glad you're enjoying it though! Can you say what you're working on?

I honestly prefer to stand on the train for the full hour each way, I'm sitting down for 9 hours at a time so I feel like I need it.

But yeah, I've been considering a laptop, although that'l have to wait a few months so I can afford a competent one. could slap some decent singleplayer games on it or just do a bit of random writing.

One of the first things I saw on the way to my Airbnb 

IMG_3408.thumb.JPG.6a99583217460c88d530722d4855c5b7.JPG

As I never got high in my life I might check if they have cookies lol

Gosh flight was shit, I won't ever recommend WestJet, seems the easy jet of the Atlantic. Hope the flight from Vancouver bawill be on a newer plan!

~

@Beck just curious, you talking about personal projects or work stuff? I would just be surprised the company would allow to work on their stuff in public for fear of leaks.

Guess depends what kind of trains you travel on, those that I normally get I wouldn't be able to use a mouse even on table seats… but there last few days I was on the hunt for a Surface I was wondering if Hammer works alright with pen input. Otherwise I see train good only for writing or coding; in uni times I've done some Photoshop with the touchpad, but level design seems so impractical that I'd just prefer to have a break after a full day of that, and rather study or read

Edited by blackdog