Thrik

What's going on with your life?

Fighting off a lot of stress at the moment. Feels like bit of a losing battle sometimes. Everything comes in waves, typical :v 

50 minutes ago, dux said:

Fighting off a lot of stress at the moment. Feels like bit of a losing battle sometimes. Everything comes in waves, typical :v 

You can handle it man, don't worry. Try and find little things to do that help you relax, even if you have to force those moments. Otherwise just get it off your chest and post it here or in a pm. I always felt that talking about feelings is a bit pussy, but it does help, especially when you're stressed out.

1 hour ago, dux said:

Gym it up bro. You got this.

Bit of a mixed bag of emotions today. On a positive note, got the keys to our new house (renting still for another year or so then gonna buy), on the other hand, my mom had a mini stroke. So err, that wasn't fun. My dad didn't tell me because he didn't want us to worry on our big day... 

She's fine now but gotta be on drugs for the rest of her life to thin her blood etc. Scary stuff.

Makes me realise that my parents are getting older and won't be around forever. That shit terrifies me.

3 hours ago, PogoP said:

Bit of a mixed bag of emotions today. On a positive note, got the keys to our new house (renting still for another year or so then gonna buy), on the other hand, my mom had a mini stroke. So err, that wasn't fun. My dad didn't tell me because he didn't want us to worry on our big day... 

She's fine now but gotta be on drugs for the rest of her life to thin her blood etc. Scary stuff.

Makes me realise that my parents are getting older and won't be around forever. That shit terrifies me.

About 6 years ago, I lost my grandfather to a stroke, and a year after that my grandmother had a stroke so big she can barely walk and she's unable to speak. Strokes are horrible man, glad it was a small one, i have an aunt that had a small one about a year ago and she completely changed her life around, she's doing yoga, exercising, eating healthy and whenever I go back home, she's happier now than i ever remenber seeing her during my childhood. 

With blood thiners, healthy diet, exercise and positive thinking she can live a long healthy life.

Best of lucks, hang in there man. 

Currently trying to broaden my competence as a level designer.

Growing really tired of having ideas and not be able to create them.

It always feel that there are crucial materials, models or assets that are missing.

Therefore I am currently picking up 3DS max to learn how to model my own assets and Substance Designer to create my own materials.

As I think Bastion here on mapcore said "A real level designer can model".

That got me going.

6 hours ago, GRiNET said:

It always feel that there are crucial materials, models or assets that are missing.

Therefore I am currently picking up 3DS max to learn how to model my own assets and Substance Designer to create my own materials.

That got me going.

A real LD can model, but if you really wanna specialize in LD, careful with spending too much time in substance. Maybe your time is better spent modeling/blocking out levels, then diving into the world of materials, specially with such a niche program like Substance. If you're starting out, there's more than plenty materials out there, textures.com, megascans, even designer I'm sure has libraries of stuff you can use in your levels. 

My 2 cents! :D

7 hours ago, GRiNET said:

That got me going.

You're going the wrong way imo, not saying that being able to create your own stuff is a bad thing, but it's a mistake to think you're not able to make a map because you don't have the right texture or the right model.

Imo a good LD use what he has on stock, limitation breed creativity.

Edited by RaVaGe

5 minutes ago, marble said:

found my excuse for being too lazy to learn modelling 8) 

Actually i've never said it was bad to be able to create your own models, of course it's better. A LD who can model is a more interesting profile but I was just saying that you don't have to model to make a good map.

Edited by RaVaGe

Starting work a week from now and the one vital item I need is my passport, can't work without it.

Surprise surprise, it's gone missing.

aaaaaaa

18 hours ago, Bastion said:

Starting work a week from now and the one vital item I need is my passport, can't work without it.

Surprise surprise, it's gone missing.

aaaaaaa

Nightmare over, I can use my birth certificate instead, which I've got with me still.

Aside from that I got my photocard done today so I can buy my monthly train tickets.

I'm almost ready, six days to go!

Edited by Bastion

Sucks that you had to go through that Stefan, but in the end it worked out alright. I completely support your removing work distractions from your home life as it is highly disruptive and stress inducing to be at home and still have your mind on work. I too learned this lesson (not quite as harsh as your version). It really does wonders to make the distinctions necessary for us to decompress.

As for what to do with your new found free time, I suggest taking up something that is relaxing to you. As an example, I cook to relax. It takes my mind completely off of the day's to-do lists and I focus solely on what's in front of me (delicious food). Not to mention it makes the wife very happy too (women love men who can cook). Stay away from anything that is actually related (in subject) to your work though. It would only help drive your mind back towards your work and potentially re-trigger your stress.