will2k

De_forlorn WIP

map is progressing steadily; I have also implemented many Half-Life Easter eggs across the map with more to come (looking at you @jackophant :D)

Oooooh, do we get a list? :D:D 

I was thinking you could have a bombtrigger as well: after the bomb explosion you could have the typical klaxon sound they use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqnrpDwaCM

When can we play this?

Edited by jackophant

Oooooh, do we get a list? :D:D 

I was thinking you could have a bombtrigger as well: after the bomb explosion you could have the typical klaxon sound they use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqnrpDwaCM

When can we play this?

It's better if these Easter eggs are discovered first hand in-game so I'm not gonna spoil it with an exhaustive list :D but in general, so far we have interactive retinal scanners, various buttons and keypads with HL sounds, various signs subtly hinting at HL, office signs referencing  HL characters (check last screenshot :v), reference to Lamarr (Kleiner's headcrab) in the vents,...(more planned)

I decided the G-man will eventually make a cameo albeit not in the playable area as to not scare the shit out of unsuspecting players as we discussed last time :P

The iconic HL alarm siren is another brilliant Easter egg suggestion of yours and will probably be incorporated as it fits the theme and the backstory of the map (as described in the first page of this WIP thread)

As for your question "when we can play this?"; the sound or the map? :v kidding.

Well, I don't have a fixed date yet but at some point in the near future, I will have to test the beta1 I'm currently working on, so stay tuned ;)

On a related note, I was checking the new Nuke and the new custom assets fits perfectly with my map's theme; I was running around the map with dilated pupils like a kid in a candy store :-D

Screenshot from the latest beta build of last week

920325b1e1z0x7xzg.jpg

I spy a G-Man access point on that well lit, inaccessible balcony up top ;) 

Also, maybe one of the teams could be dropped off by one of the typical VTOLs (V-22 Osprey) or just have them flying by like the guardian mission.

Sorry, every time I see your map I just start fanboying :P Hurry up and release something! :(

it's a feature. you now have time to make a steak dinner now while your map loads :)

:D

but seriously though, this is gonna suck when you are in the lighting tweaking phase. Source 2 Hammer (or whatever it will be called) needs to be streamlined and targeted at 2016 not 1996.

I spy a G-Man access point on that well lit, inaccessible balcony up top ;) 

Also, maybe one of the teams could be dropped off by one of the typical VTOLs (V-22 Osprey) or just have them flying by like the guardian mission.

Sorry, every time I see your map I just start fanboying :P Hurry up and release something! :(

Touché my dear friend, spot on :P; that would be the Gman "intermittent" observation room

The helipad is there and I'm still toying around with several ideas/scenarios :)

I'm also itching to release something :D; will have something for you soon.

Thanks for the continuous support and uplifting cheers :)

The HL inspiration is readily apparent. You are a master texture artist! All the little references you're dropping in are a great touch.

I'm wondering about something a bit unrelated. When you started using the new Nuke assets, did you decompile the map or find them using console commands in-game or is there a separate folder in materials/models for the new assets? I ask because I'm having trouble decompiling the map. BSPSrc does it with no errors, but in Hammer all the models show up as errors. As far as I can tell the assets are in the .vpk so I'm at a loss. This has happened with a number of other official maps, though not all. Do you have experience with this?

Sorry for the tangential question, looking forward to beta1!

Edited by sevin

:D

but seriously though, this is gonna suck when you are in the lighting tweaking phase. Source 2 Hammer (or whatever it will be called) needs to be streamlined and targeted at 2016 not 1996.

Valve just released more info about the vrad update. I'm sure you'll be interesed in it :)

The HL inspiration is readily apparent. You are a master texture artist! All the little references you're dropping in are a great touch.

I'm wondering about something a bit unrelated. When you started using the new Nuke assets, did you decompile the map or find them using console commands in-game or is there a separate folder in materials/models for the new assets? I ask because I'm having trouble decompiling the map. BSPSrc does it with no errors, but in Hammer all the models show up as errors. As far as I can tell the assets are in the .vpk so I'm at a loss. This has happened with a number of other official maps, though not all. Do you have experience with this?

It seems for some people it works just fine to just decompile the map and load it into Hammer, while for others it's littered with missing models (like for me). I explained it here how you can fix this (unless your problem is something else, but then just let us know).

Valve just released more info about the vrad update. I'm sure you'll be interesed in it :)

It seems for some people it works just fine to just decompile the map and load it into Hammer, while for others it's littered with missing models (like for me). I explained it here how you can fix this (unless your problem is something else, but then just let us know).

I opened the .bsp with GCFScape to see if anything was packed, and I didn't see anything. You extracted them from the .bsp? I have this issue with other maps as well.

Edited by sevin

I opened the .bsp with GCFScape to see if anything was packed, and I didn't see anything. You extracted them from the .bsp? I have this issue with other maps as well.

Yes, I checked with Pakrat to see if any models were packed. And extracted all of them that I spotted. Strangely enough they're all located in a folder called "autocombine/". That folder name and the fact it works just fine (without extracting anything) for most other people and the fact that all "autocombine" props in Hammer look like a combination of regular modular props make it seem something went horribly wrong somewhere for some of us :)

Yes, I checked with Pakrat to see if any models were packed. And extracted all of them that I spotted. Strangely enough they're all located in a folder called "autocombine/". That folder name and the fact it works just fine (without extracting anything) for most other people and the fact that all "autocombine" props in Hammer look like a combination of regular modular props make it seem something went horribly wrong somewhere for some of us :)

Yes, I noticed the model paths included "autocombine" and I thought it was just a decompiling mistake. Thanks for the download, works perfectly now! 

Resume Forlorn discussion. :)

Thank you :)

I haven't added any new Nuke assets to the map yet, will start doing the switch today. What you see in the screenshots is mostly concrete textures from de_train (new one) and de_vertigo, in addition to many custom textures that I created myself.

As for accessing the new assets in Nuke, you have 3 ways to do so:

- The classic, old-school way: you just open the texture browser or the model viewer in Hammer, and search for "hr" (high resolution) and you will basically filter the new content from Train and Nuke (easily identifiable)

- Another way is to use the new map delivered by Valve, nuke_zoo, where they compiled all the modular assets from Nuke into one location for easier access.

- The third way is to decompile Nuke and check the custom assets there. As for you getting errors in the decompiled version, it is because Valve further combined the modular assets into new ready-to-use assets, and placed them into a new folder. Check my reply further below to Squad to see how you can easily counter this issue.

Thanks buddy :)

I read the blog moments ago and it confirmed my suspicions about vrad from my previous comment; not only they changed the way static lighting for props is calculated (more rays firing) but they also changed the process for displacements lighting which is why vrad is exponentially increasing its compile time on final (even on fast, the increase is considerable).

Fun fact: I tried compiling the new nuke on fast vrad and it took...3 hours and 13 minutes to finish, just vrad time :shock:; the amount of props is insane.

For the errors you are getting on decompiled nuke, I am assuming you are using the latest version of bspsrc to do so.

As I told sevin earlier in this comment, Valve, for their ease of use and access, merged several modular assets into new ones and placed them in a new folder called "autocombine". Basically they are still the same props but Hammer will treat them as new props/new mdl's in a new directory.

What you can do is go to the last tab in bspsrc labeled "other" and tick the "extract embedded files"; this way bspsrc will decompile the map and extract the "new" custom assets along. These will be placed next to the decompiled map preserving any file/folder hierarchy; you just need to move the textures and models folders (the autocombine) into the csgo/materials and csgo/models directories respectively and the decompiled map will show no errors models.

Thanks again for dropping by and will talk to you soon about forlorn beta1 ;)

Thanks for the information! How recent was the Train overhaul? Was it done in collaboration with Volcano? Haven't been paying much attention to CS:GO for awhile. The new assets are certainly worthy of the hr prefix.

Edited by sevin