TopHATTwaffle

Hammer Tutorial #21 "Optimization"

Best. Optimisation. Tutorial. Ever.

Actually this time i haven't learned anything but it's perfect so i'll share to everyone who is asking me how to optimise a map.

Excellent job Tophatt, i always really appreciate your tutorials.

I didn't know you could negative hallow. !!!! .

Haven't touched Hammer in a few years, but if things are still the same you can use negative values on pretty much all the tools. For example using negatives on the texture editor flips the texture.

Great tutorial as usual Doug. However, could you go a bit more in-depth about occluders and their practical uses? I know you say you don't use them often, but I know several mappers who use occluders a lot on smaller maps where areaportaling and splitting visleafs doesn't help them as much.

Edited by Sevin

If I create normal brush with decal texture, like bomb site A mark, is it heavy for processing? I cant find normal sized decals so I had to use them as normal texture to change the size.

You can change the scale of overlays (use overlays, not decals). Make sure texture lock is on and just make them the size you want them to be.