will2k

Sharing my newly released paper on optimization testing in Source engine

Visiting the site produced two pop ups, after closing them, the site filled with ads, then the App Store loaded (on my iPad)... I didn't even know that behavior was still a thing?

Visiting the site produced two pop ups, after closing them, the site filled with ads, then the App Store loaded (on my iPad)... I didn't even know that behavior was still a thing?

The free plan of tripod hosting is still ad-based. I usually have ad block enabled and don't get the ads but even without ABP, the site will display a thin horizontal ad banner on the top that won't interfere with browsing the site and won't open any pop-up or take you to other sites unless you click on it. I'm not sure what happened with you :???: , maybe browsing from a tablet exhibits this behavior? or you inadvertently swiped the ad?

lmao. Good old Tripod. :oops:

The article looks excellent, though.

lol yeah :D

I've had this Tripod site since 2001; before that I used Geocities :cool: to host my site but they kept their free plan at 5 MB storage in 1999-2000 :shock: and I had to make the switch to Tripod when they offered 'gasp' 20 MB of free storage lmao :lol: (end of history lesson :v )

Thanks for the support mate, appreciate it :)

I think the second link  - the Game Banana one is easy enough to get it from - I had issues with the first link as well.

I read the two tutorials. Comprehensive, and easy to understand. Surprised to see Sun Tzu quoted in an optimisation guide for the Source engine, but somehow it feels like a good fit :lol:

I think the second link  - the Game Banana one is easy enough to get it from - I had issues with the first link as well.

I read the two tutorials. Comprehensive, and easy to understand. Surprised to see Sun Tzu quoted in an optimisation guide for the Source engine, but somehow it feels like a good fit :lol:

Whenever there is a war/battle, Sun Tzu will fit in :D

Thanks for your support :)

Maybe mapcore could host it as well? :)

Hey Pampers, thanks for dropping by :)

I usually host my papers on my mediafire account and keep a second version on Gamebanana since the site is primarly there to host custom content related to gaming. I wasn't aware that mapcore has hosting services too and if you think hosting my work here will be beneficial, then why not :) .

I'll keep that in mind for my next upload ;)

With that kind of hosting, I would imagine it to be huge turn off for potential employers.

btw, will read the article! Love optimization discussions.  

Jason :) , thanks for your input.

you're right that without ad block, those pesky ads are annoying for everyone. I didn't upgrade my free hosting plan since I wasn't actively trying to land a job in the gaming industry.

I guess it's a bit late now to make the switch to the gaming industry :v; I should have made the jump some 12 years ago when i was still in my early 20s and the industry was still blooming out of its infancy and still accepting "amateurs" :)

Thanks again mate and hope you find the 2 papers helpful and enjoyable to read.

Edited by will2k

In a related topic to the above, I have published my newest article titled "Hints about Hints - Practical guide on hint brushes placement".

It's a technical article in which I showcase how I think about and approach hints placement in Source engine and how I systematically proceed with hint brushes with some practical examples. 

Hope it provides helpful insights for aspiring Source mappers and offers a good read for experienced ones.

The link is on Gamebanana: Hints about Hints

Enjoy the read :)

Will2k

Continuing with the "practical placement guide" series, I have published the 2nd article in the series:

It's a technical article that deals with the systematic placement of areaportals in the Source optimization process:

Practical guide on areaportals placement

The first article in the series was about "hints" published back in June (Hints about Hints - Practical guide on hint brushes placement)

The 3rd will cover occluders and will be published later this month.

Thanks and enjoy the read

Will2k

Greetings with the final update :)

Ending the "practical placement guide" series, I have published the 3rd and final article in the series.

Practical guide on occluders placement

It's a technical article that tackles the systematic placement of occluders in the Source optimization process.

The previous articles released over the course of the last 2 months dealt with hints and areaportals placement (links in previous post).

Thanks and enjoy the read.