Mapcore Advice: Tv's!

dux

Yo bros. I'm looking to get a pimp TV. Any recommendations? What I'm searching for is a 50 inch Plasma, HD, 1080p and all that jazz. A few have caught my eye buy it doesn't hurt to ask around before buying. And seeing as the majority of you are console dudes I figure some of you might know what's good.

My experience is that Panasonic's VIERA plasmas have trumped the quality of every single LCD I've ever seen including LED-backlit screens, literally no exceptions. They have a native contrast ratio that LCD is simply incapable of achieving, and even though numerous tricks are used on LCD screens to simulate the same ratio (i.e. dynamically changing the backlight brightness) it just doesn't compare. It's as close to cinematic quality as you can get right now IMO, with the only thing that could really match it being an actual projector in a light-proof room.

Another huge plus of plasmas that's often overlooked is that despite their high quality, the prices are usually lower than LCD equivalents. If you sacrifice built-in speakers because you have your own, you can get an exceptional screen for a highly reasonable price. Even a plasma from a few years ago pisses over the LED-backlit LCDs I'm seeing in shops right now.

That said, Panasonic has actually exited the plasma market now and this year's models are their final ones. I believe that LG and Samsung are held in similarly high regard, though.

Because why not.

Susceptible to burn-in, shorter life span, not as energy-efficient as LED-LCD's, generate more heat, thicker panels, soon to be absolute, etc.

Samsung LED's are the way to go (imo)

You might also want to look into Smart TV's. No more mandatory cable. Just hook it up to the Internet and stream from your NAS/PC/ETC. Use apps like Netflix and HBO GO.

The energy efficiency and heat points are valid, but plasmas haven't suffered from significant burn-in or shortened lifespans for years now. I've had a VIERA going for five years and there's no permanent burn-in or any other signs of longevity issues.

The OLED TVs which are appearing right now are definitely the future but they currently suffer from bigger issues with lifespan than plasma ever had, mainly due to the blue parts of the image ageing more quickly than the others — although I believe that LG has very recently figured out a fix to this that hasn't made it into any models yet. Current OLEDs also suffer from burn-in.

That only really leaves plasmas, LCDs, and LED-backlit LCDs (completely different to OLED, basically just LCD); all of which are now obsolete technologies in the face of the move to OLED/AMOLED. (AM(O))LED is without a doubt the direction all screens are going in, but they're prohibitively expensive and teeming with issues right now.

It'd actually probably be cheaper to get a good plasma — or if you really want, LCD — and then replace it in a few years when OLED matures rather than be an early adopter now.

Dude, I've got mine Plazma, thanks to some advices here, and I'm fucking in heaven ! The blacks/greys are spot on. It's 51 and for me that enough. Plazma is a little bit cheaper but more power consuming (but its very less, I mean I havn't even notices any difference in my bills). Quality wise plazma is the way to go !

We already had a thread like this a few months ago, (Knj, it was yours, can you dig it out of the pile and link it here?) my opinion remains. Go for a good plasma, they're perfect for games due to the insanely high refresh rate and the blacks / contrast on those things beat LED any day of the year.

You see less and less of them in the market because they're more heavy and probably more expensive to build, but they're the best thing out there.