MapCore CS:GO Playtesting 4.0

'RZL

Kolari, I really like DE_Tibet. Sorry I climbed on the roof. :P Clipping issues aside, the layout made a lot of sense to me. I think the mountainous skybox helps to orientate the player in the world, so it was pretty easy to learn and navigate even without lots (or any? I forget) of signage. The only frustrating point for me was the CT approach to bombsite A (I think ... the one on CT's left-hand route?), which either needs more cover for the CTs as they come out of the little house, or a quicker way to counter T's rushing by lobbing grenades over the wall.

Cincinnati, I realise you're not looking to change much geometry-wise in de_disruption but there are some big improvements you could make with minimal effort:

-Block off the long dead-ends with fences or something. Namely the long corridors near the underground bombsite. Not only do they give attacking players too many dark corners to check, first-time players will always be put off by having to turn back on themselves to return to "the action".

-On the big staircase with the orange walls, fix the B arrow that points the wrong way. I get that it's a passage that's been narratively blocked off so in the real world the signage wouldn't just disappear, but it's frustrating from a gameplay standpoint.

-Make the strip lights in the underground bombsite in to func_illusionary or clip them off so that defenders can't perch on them -- it's just one more awkward place to check in an already complicated space.

-T's start out in that really long canal path followed immediately by another quite long sewer path -- maybe break them up a bit with some more corners so that it doesn't feel like a really long trudge.

-There are lots of neat little holes to shoot people in other areas from, but perhaps a little too many. Options are great and all, but it will always feel unfair to get shot by somebody you have barely any chance of seeing. The most irritating one for me was in the afforementioned big staircase, a little square window on the right-hand side as you go up. The one at the top of the stairs leading down to the outside bombsite seems a little unfair as well, especially given how far away it is from the areas it covers.

OrnateBaboon, I've been looking forward to playing that map since you first posted shots. I know some people think the Italy assets are overused, but when they're overused that well I don't mind, and that's the first time I seen them mixed with the gothic elements so good work there.

Layout-wise, there was one connector that I found a bit too right-angley. The one leading from T's left-hand route back to the lower part of mid. You could simplify this path by making it a V shape instead of a U shape without damaging timings, seeing as it's a pretty dangerous route to take early in the round anyway.

Visually I think the easiest option is to stick with the warm version, but the snow did look really good in some areas so with a bit of work you could pull it off. It may mean you need to lose the palm trees completely, or make a few new assets to tie them in to the wintery setting.

There was a clipped doorway on the route between the bombsite with the climbable crates, and T-Spawn which could do with a gate or something to show why the player can't get in there. Also, on the T route to the other bombsite, near the U shaped connector I was rambling about there are some very low barriers blocking scenery parts of the level. I realise it's just scenery, but if it looks like it should be reachable a lot of players will be annoyed that it can't, so maybe use higher barrier props, or add some barbed wire or something.

Anduriel, I loved lost temple in source so I was pleased to play it again in CS:GO. Are you one of the original authors, or did you get permission to port it?

I don't really like the addition of the connector in middle. It essentially connects to another connector, so it feels a bit superfluous and it undermines that midway point that the original did so well, whereby it really felt like the two teams were clashing along a straight line cutting through the middle of the map.

The scale of the map seems to have changed a bit as well. I guess the Source version could probably be badly spammed by molly's so that seems like a sensible decision, but I think the swamp route could be made a little narrower for more interesting grenade action.

Thematically speaking obviously it's difficult to tell where you're going as it's mostly gray box, but it seems like you might be doing a more Roman/Greek temple than the old tropical/Aztecish one?

Anduriel, I loved lost temple in source so I was pleased to play it again in CS:GO. Are you one of the original authors, or did you get permission to port it?

I don't really like the addition of the connector in middle. It essentially connects to another connector, so it feels a bit superfluous and it undermines that midway point that the original did so well, whereby it really felt like the two teams were clashing along a straight line cutting through the middle of the map.

The scale of the map seems to have changed a bit as well. I guess the Source version could probably be badly spammed by molly's so that seems like a sensible decision, but I think the swamp route could be made a little narrower for more interesting grenade action.

Thematically speaking obviously it's difficult to tell where you're going as it's mostly gray box, but it seems like you might be doing a more Roman/Greek temple than the old tropical/Aztecish one?

First of all: No, I'm not one of the original authors. The original de_losttemple was made by Magikus and StarD00d (as d00ds.com). But there's a little bit of background story. Back in the days of Counter-Strike: Source Magikus and I were part of a team running a german CS Fansite. I learned how to use the hammer editor because of his mapping tutorials. But Magikus quit many years ago and nowadays I'm running the site. SirK joined our team during the CS:GO Beta. So the remake is not from the same people, but from the same community :) And yes we've got permission from StarD00d to port the map, he also sent us the original VMF (thanks to him at this point!).

Now let's get to your feedback. During the playtest I felt that the map is too much T-sided. The new connector doesn't work out that well, you're right with that. It feels like the Terrorists have to much options and as CT you just don't know what exactly you should cover. I think I'll just remove the connector and focus on the other routes. Which brings me to your second point. The scale of the whole map is the same, but it changed a little in the individual parts of the map. I'll take your advice and try to make some of the areas (including the middle route) a bit narrower to make it harder for the terrorists to get through.

About the visuals: As you guessed correctly where going for a roman/greek temple style. I think the next version will include some custom textures as well.

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by Anduriel

Playtest Schedule

Playtest 24.04.14

• KingGambit's DE_Fracture
  • Vinneri's DE_Theos

Playtest 27.04.14

• Gooba's DE_Apache
  • Jebus' DE_Rostok

Playtest 29.04.14

• text_fish's map
  • Vilham's CS_Mass

Playtest 01.05.14

• [OPEN]
  • [OPEN]

Playtest 04.05.14

• Cashed' DE_Fuel
  • Tr0nic's DE_Mocha

Playtest 06.05.14

• [OPEN]
  • [OPEN]

Playtesting sessions are scheduled on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays at 21:00 GMT+1. We playtest a maximum of 2 maps per playtest.

For map creators:
If you want your map tested, post in the thread and suggest a day that is suitable for you. If the above mentioned time isn't a good fit, let us know and we can probably work something out!

Prior to the test you will have to send Roflzomglol one .bsp file, one .nav file and an optional .kv file. All custom content (models, materials, sounds, mapradar) needs to be packed into the bsp. For this, you can use Pakrat. He'll take care of the rest!

Submissions can be considered accepted if they appear in the schedule, this can take up to 24 hours.

Edited by 'RZL