DE_Theos By Vinneri

Hello partners!  I'm fairly new here, so I must introduce myself. I have been playing CS, from early Source. Competitive scene is familiar me, because I've played CS:S in various semi-competitive teams and I have been competing in few LAN-tournaments around Finland. When CS:GO was released I started to get familiar with it, but I never really started to play competitive. I have watched CS streams from the time Twitch was released and I still love watching high-talented teams play against each other. After all these years I'm pretty sure I know mostly how the CS plays.
       I started using hammer about 4 years ago. First I made some easy CS:S maps and L4D survival maps. It took few years to get known with Hammer and those projects were actually not so bad :D Then suddenly I lost my interest in making maps. It took over a year to finally found back, just to start from beginning. I was so pumpped, that I wanted to make the best map I could ever do. I took one of my old CS:S projects, because I liked it a lot and started to convert it to CS:GO. After many long nights and days I'm here to show you what I got.
     I know that here are some of the most talented mappers, so I'm waiting for responses how to make this map even better ;) I have playtested this map few times with my friends and you maybe have noticed that you are going to get one too! (I'm so excited!) If you could give me things I could do to make this look better that would be awesome. I have promised to myself that this will be released, when it's perfect. And I'm aiming to that.

So...

I'm presenting for you, DE_Theos (beta)

It's a semi-modern map taking place in drug dealers homefarm in unknown location. Police have found the secret hideout and are trying to prevent terrorists from hiding trails. Terrorists are trying to destroy the drugfacility and/or the mansion to cover all the trails from drug manufacture. Map is build to be competitive 5v5 and have various opportunities for tactics. With good smokes, flashes and teamplay any team can win.

7Q1wB.jpg

7Q1Bp.jpg7Q1F1.jpg7Q1GT.jpg7Q1HM.jpg7Q1Je.jpg7Q1K5.jpg7Q1Lh.jpg7Q1Mi.jpg7Q1Dp.jpg7PZKv

I'm not giving mapfile yet, so spot as many awful looking place from pictures as you can and give me feedpack if you want.

Thank you! :)

Edited by Vinneri

Feedback from images:  Detail/adjustment for eye detail ("NOT GAMEPLAY")

1st image

The new addition to the concrete is a nice addition giving it a more realistic feel compared to the solid "Tile texture" used before.  The white building with the big heart one it.  The roof texture could use some adjustment in terms of moving the texture down to match where the edge ends.  Plus maybe add a little more overhang to the roof to give more detail.

2nd image

The roof with all the foliage on it seems a little repetitive.  

3rd image

This is by far the best looking part of the map as of right now.  Not much to see change excluding the addition of decals on the floor and or around the broken in concrete area.

4th image

Where the gravel connects to the concrete area, it seems to be black from the image.  The concrete texture choice also seems a little plain, maybe change the texture to dirt or something "Again from image view, not sure what's behind the camera".

5th image

The floor could use some missing planks and decals.  The roof above seems it could use some more detail  or variation to keep it repetitive.  ("Or an addition of a more room under construction feel i.e. de_vertigo").

6th image

The skylight could use a beam detailing the parameter of the edges of the skylight.  The rooms feels a little to flat, add some more variant detail to the walls. ("Bumps, pillars, arches")

7th image

Seems alright from what I can see, just adjust the texture's by the stairs so they align properly.

8th image

roof texture on both buildings need some adjusting.  Plus the foliage on the building with the flag decal could use more variation .

9th image

The displacement could use some more grass around the edges.  Some props ("Crates, garbage") on the sides.

10th image

Additional detailing to stairs leading into building ("Rails added to sides or middle") as well as the roof needing additional work. 

11th image

N/A

Again these are just things that I would personally improve at the moment.  Really nice work on the level, giving it a unique feel.  Keep up the progress and hope to see some more additions to this level truly making it a masterpiece. 

Great job on the new additions to the map.  The detail given in the first image really helps define the space and give it a little more personality.  In the third image, I love the choice of color for the bright yellow colored overpass, it really helps catch the players eye.  Although the ground could use some more randomness in terms of more grass around the edges.  The fourth image has really nice and excellent detail and much personality to.  They choice and design of the white tower is really interesting as well as the 2 tall metal towers in the back.

In all, the map seems to have come along way since you showed it.  Thank you for taking some of my feedback in to account.  Good luck on your future endeavors.

Looks like an interesting theme

but there's something weird going on with the lighting, did you mess with postprocessing?

and avoid using decals from overpass, it's just too specific to that map.

I think you should focus more on lighting, better sun angle, more brightness and hard shadows etc.

but there's something weird going on with the lighting, did you mess with postprocessing?

I think you should focus more on lighting, better sun angle, more brightness and hard shadows etc.

I agree, it looks very flat, maybe you could look at your shadow controller and change the shadows to be a bit darker.

I would also use displacements for most exterior grounds, just allows you to make them look better. Use a bit more alpha on the pebble road too

Finally there seems to be a mix of quite noisy textures and unnoisy textures, this looks odd, try to replace some of the noisy wooden textures with less noisy ones. Also that grass texture, find a better one, I'm not sure what is up with that one, but it looks very low res.

Alright, I take a look. I'm using basic 16 lightmap scale everywhere atm, so I have to reduce it in some places. With sun angle I was mimicing de_cobblestone, but I'll try something else :) Thanks!

Hey Vinneri looks like a good map :) The biggest thing that stands out to me is the heavy contrast in images 5, 7 and 10  where a lot of the surfaces are near black. I would maybe lighten a few of the textures as my eye is being drawn straight to those dark areas. the underground tunnel lights also look to have the same problem making the ceiling very dark , I think a fill light at a lower intensity would help out a lot there. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Stasi_Basement_Hallway.jpg

I think the macro detailing is great around the map :) 

And i much prefer the shadows on the first image as i feel it gives the area more weight the second image looks as if it is a very cloudy day and the light is being diffused by the cloud cover, which contradicts the skybox atm.  

Hope this helps ! :) 

I had yesterday pro's playtest. It went pretty well and got a lot of feedback. It ended 16-14 with sides 9-6 7-8 and higher rounds as CT. So I made some fixes to make it more balanced.

Most of the guys liked the map, but as you know the scene (specially in Finland) you get also ton of shit without any real feedback. Well anyways it was nice to see how it works when two good teams play first time the map in competitive. :)