knj

Assassin's Creed: Unity

Yeah it's just not doing anything for me. New world stuff can be moderately interesting, but the European Renaissance makes me want to barf. Architecture was terrible, interior design was terrible. People looked like sockpuppets. It just doesn't do anything for me.

I get most of the complaints that are being thrown at this game, it does feel like it could at least have used another month or two in the oven. However I'm actually really enjoying it, though it was something of a slow burn, and it's primarily because it just looks absolutely gorgeous, which makes exploring the environment and finding chests and that kind of stuff more fun. I am playing it on the PS4, so the frame rate isn't exactly great, but it's still totally playable and in some ways I kinda like that they went for it, having incredibly detailed environments, crazy amounts of characters on screen and some pretty impressive draw distances, though I suppose it isn't exactly impressive when it runs like it does :)

Anyway, I'm also an old idiot that often likes just walking around and looking at the environment in games like GTA V, so on that end it totally delivers for me, just going around and checking out all the custom animations and work that's been put into characters, and sure it's the same old tired AC gameplay, but for the most part they've a bunch of minor adjustments to it to make it less awful. Also for once they've actually managed to make a balance economy in an AC game, which actually makes doing side quests worth while.

TL;DR It's worth getting if you just wanna walk around and look at shit, lmfao.

I'm sure it's great for people who like that kind of stuff, but baroque/rococo architecture is just not me. I'm also not a fan of perukes/periwigs (which is where I get the sock puppet reference from), or the clothes they're wearing. Then there's also the excessive detailing, that while impressive in its execution, feels like it was placed there in lieu of a center of focus. All of it just symbolizes a time where appearances were too gaudy and fake, and where quantity was way above quality (which is not a far fetched conclusion, since size in art mattered at least up to the 16th century, and excessive detailing could be seen as the next evolutionary step from sheer size). 

I'm also not really talking about the game, it's more about the stylistic choices for the era. I think the game did well in its presentation of the time it is set in. Which is exactly why I won't be touching it.

But hey, that's just like my opinion man.

Sentura.. do you have a button on your back that switches from normal to troll mode or something?

Assassins_Creed_Unity-2.jpg

That's like a fucking photo for goodness sake! I'm not a graphics whore but the visuals here are incredible. They've nailed the baroque classical style with all the little details beautifully, I've never seen that kind of care put into the architecture in a game before! Though I guess if you don't like that style, it's all a bit OTT. What is your prefered architecture type btw?

Edited by D3ads

I think the setting for Bioshock is fantastic. The decrepit underwater art-deco world was so immersive, I loved it.

I get what sentura is saying, but for me personally, what I appreciate is a style done well, to a believable standard. My opinion of the trend at the time is irrelevant for me

I'm sure it's great for people who like that kind of stuff, but baroque/rococo architecture is just not me. I'm also not a fan of perukes/periwigs (which is where I get the sock puppet reference from), or the clothes they're wearing. Then there's also the excessive detailing, that while impressive in its execution, feels like it was placed there in lieu of a center of focus. All of it just symbolizes a time where appearances were too gaudy and fake, and where quantity was way above quality (which is not a far fetched conclusion, since size in art mattered at least up to the 16th century, and excessive detailing could be seen as the next evolutionary step from sheer size). 

I'm also not really talking about the game, it's more about the stylistic choices for the era. I think the game did well in its presentation of the time it is set in. Which is exactly why I won't be touching it.

But hey, that's just like my opinion man.

9291_cdac.jpeg

Sentura.. do you have a button on your back that switches from normal to troll mode or something?

Assassins_Creed_Unity-2.jpg

That's like a fucking photo for goodness sake! I'm not a graphics whore but the visuals here are incredible. They've nailed the baroque classical style with all the little details beautifully, I've never seen that kind of care put into the architecture in a game before! Though I guess if you don't like that style, it's all a bit OTT. What is your prefered architecture type btw?

I think you're getting me wrong here: I'm not saying it's not a graphically amazing game. The visuals of the game are great. I'm saying I don't like Baroque architecture/interior design/parukes.

But it's not just that. I don't like the time period in general. I guess if I could put it like this I would say that the renaissance is at the bottom of the uncanny valley of history. It's not far enough back in the past that we can entertain ourselves with the epics and myths of ancient times, yet it's not modern enough to provide interesting an frontier on its own. At least not in Europe; the new frontier back then was the midwest and west of the Americas. Or the entirely unexplored by games (and movies/books?) 17th-18th century Asia.

I can understand from the point of the game vision the choice of France during the time of the revolution. But since those events have been fairly well documented, to me that removes the suspension of disbelief, rather than adding it to the game.  And while it's likely more fun to play than to visit a museum of, the history of everyday life in renaissance Paris probably isn't as interesting as anyone would want it to be.

It's probably still a fun game though.

Edited by Sentura

I think it got leaked a while back the next one will be in Victorian London, which will be cool no doubt

...are you serious?

"Hey guys, since we're almost done with Unity, we better think of a new setting for the next installment of AC.. any ideas?"

"How about London... I mean no one's ever done that one before..."

"Great thinking, you get a special bonus for such an original idea... high five!"

Fucking hell.

I mean the Russian idea is just perfect for this kind of thing, especially just as the Bolsheviks were poised to take over. Anyway... there are plenty of historical moments that could be used instead.. Spain in the civil war or afterwards during Franco's dictatorship, Austro-hungarian empire and the prelude to WWI... The balkan wars, Mexican revolution... the list goes on. I mean if you're going to set it in England try somewhere that's not the capital.. like Manchester or something. Hell, Nottingham has a great deal of variation in architecture street by street and we've got the council house and threatre royal for all the art-deco needs.. Thrik knows what I'm talking about.

Seriously... anywhere but London, it's boring and too big.

Because of the rocky launch, free dlc to owners:

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2014/11/26/ubisoft-apologizes-for-launch-issues-offers-free-dlc

Owners of season pass get a fee game, far cry 4 is in the list of choices!

~

D3ads I think the move to a modern setting will take looong time and needs planning. There's a hell of a lot of potential, but I guess you want a setting where you can still tie events to the Templars(?) and having an acrobatic assassin makes sense. (I have played only the first one so not sure if they got rid or resolved ties to Templars and contemporary timeline.)

Edited by blackdog

I think it got leaked a while back the next one will be in Victorian London, which will be cool no doubt

...are you serious?

"Hey guys, since we're almost done with Unity, we better think of a new setting for the next installment of AC.. any ideas?"

"How about London... I mean no one's ever done that one before..."

"Great thinking, you get a special bonus for such an original idea... high five!"

Fucking hell.

I mean the Russian idea is just perfect for this kind of thing, especially just as the Bolsheviks were poised to take over. Anyway... there are plenty of historical moments that could be used instead.. Spain in the civil war or afterwards during Franco's dictatorship, Austro-hungarian empire and the prelude to WWI... The balkan wars, Mexican revolution... the list goes on. I mean if you're going to set it in England try somewhere that's not the capital.. like Manchester or something. Hell, Nottingham has a great deal of variation in architecture street by street and we've got the council house and threatre royal for all the art-deco needs.. Thrik knows what I'm talking about.

Seriously... anywhere but London, it's boring and too big.

http://kotaku.com/next-years-big-assassins-creed-is-set-in-victorian-lond-1665343788

uau2qi8cfqwdanmksr9y.jpg

qsqkddfi5wnrx8isnqug.jpg

1015726147524388674.png

yy31jpc9to1mc6zb6jcq.jpg