Interesting stuff about UT. I hadn't been following the internals of its development. When it first came out I wanted to get involved but my job involved me working on another custom engine and working on 2 AAA engines codebases at the same time is too much for my tiny brain. 😛

Regarding the questions about how they are making a bunch of money and why they can't just move people on to other projects. In regards to Fortnite. The game is super live now so the workload is insane. It's looking like even the general engine has taken a hit and development has slowed down a bit. There are some signs that some engine developers appear to be doing more fortnite focused work these days. 

They are trying to rectify development issues but the main problem is you can't solve game development and engine problems by throwing money at the situation. Besides all the logistics of finding the right candidate they still have to learn the engine internals once they are hired. Unreal engine is one of the best documented engines I've ever used but it's still massive and in some cases a little weird since it's moving so fast. 

Just now, FMPONE said:

Basically photo-real, as far as I’m concerned. Man Epic is way out in front of everybody tech wise, goodness

I'd say they have an edge, they were out from the beginning to also serve businesses with architecture and production, this is crazy

but I mean Unity stuff is incredible as well. Just saw in the last couple days a post about real-time rendering for production, 10 min to render 4K stuff... I've updated that topic too

4.24 preview just came out

They are finally releasing the mesh editor. I noticed in the last year or so they had a module called EditableMesh, I tried enabling it locally but couldn't really get it to work. I wonder if some day they will have a mesh editing suite good enough to compete with a DCC.

Epic's acquired Quixel and is bringing their megascans library to UE users for free.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-4-24-to-ship-with-free-quixel-megascans-unreal-studio-features-and-more

Not available just yet, but in the mean time they released 10 packs on the UE Marketplace:

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/profile/Quixel+Megascans

17 minutes ago, Beck said:

Epic's acquired Quixel and is bringing their megascans library to UE users for free.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-4-24-to-ship-with-free-quixel-megascans-unreal-studio-features-and-more

Not available just yet, but in the mean time they released 10 packs on the UE Marketplace:

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/profile/Quixel+Megascans

Been meaning to try this, seems to make environment art pretty much legos that any goofball can do. So that's always nice :D

7 hours ago, Buddy said:

They did nuke value of stock content and content creation all the way down to zero with this unfortunately.

But hey, great for users right :D

Yes, this is hilarious to me. Like when the guy recreated Dust2 and said Quixel was “democratizing environment art” it’s like, LOL. All you did was make making money doing environment art completely non-viable. 

Don't get me wrong, the tech is incredible. But it’s very much in line with the rest of the economy, automating jobs away essentially because computers are basically magical at this point. To call that democratizing seemed like a such a profound misapprehension of what was truly going on.

A pretty good indicator of how tech companies will treat innovation that displaces human workers by putting their service jobs in the hands of computers and then handing that tech to customers directly: “hey, this is democratizing!”

32 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

Yes, this is hilarious to me. Like when the guy recreated Dust2 and said Quixel was “democratizing environment art” it’s like, LOL. All you did was make making money doing environment art completely non-viable. 

Don't get me wrong, the tech is incredible. But it’s very much in line with the rest of the economy, automating jobs away essentially because computers are basically magical at this point. To call that democratizing seemed like a such a profound misapprehension of what was truly going on.

A pretty good indicator of how tech companies will treat innovation that displaces human workers by putting their service jobs in the hands of computers and then handing that tech to customers directly: “hey, this is democratizing!”

Yeah, i was silent on this, but your post pretty much mirrors my feelings towards all of it. 

Personally, I'm pretty excited about this, I'm even getting the itch to go back to Unreal and make a small scene to try this new workflow. I tried Mixer a while ago and it was a pretty interesting workflow, it's a mix of substance and megascans. Sure, people can just drag and drop stuff and call it environment art, but the true artists will be able to leverage this tech and make stuff that just wasn't possible before (or would take forever). This will also make environment art creation much less intimidating for lay people with crazy ideas. The "traditional workflow" is slow as fuck and I can see why so many of my old friends from the CS mapping community couldn't be bothered to learn it and abandoned the hobby altogether.

It does feel strange how it's completely free. It's too good of a deal... there must be catch somewhere down the line 👹 Anyways, like it or not, this is definitely a new paradigm and I can't wait to see the same desert or forest environments all over Artstation!