• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just released The Solus Project!   Learn Unreal Engine 4 by using the content from Solus, and the things I've learned from working in UE4 for a year, and having worked on three commercial UE4

And now it's free !   >> https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ue4-is-free  

I made a small introductory project: a flight game prototype, to get to know Unreal 4  a bit.   It has a basic flight model, animated flappy bits and camera movement based on speed characteristics,

Posted Images

13 hours ago, [HP] said:

I wonder what you hate about it? It's a very straightforward tool, you can extrude faces and even control vertices if you want.

I don't hate it - it's certainly fast enough for functional design, but (for example) if you put a placeholder material on the face of a wall and alter the dimensions of it, it doesn't alter the scaling per face proportionally. It also has a tendency to create BSP holes sometimes...you have to create new faces, and you must do this clockwise by clicking on the vertices to fix/stitch etc etc...there are a lot of little bugs and issues that crop up sometimes, but only sometimes, no consistency to the whys and wherefores...

Epic Games can do better than this. It's 2018 and they have exceptionally talented people working for them.

I agree, I don't even worry with UV's on my blockouts, I just use a worldspace shader that applies a checkered material to all of my faces, and I tint the vertical faces of another color, just to make the floor look a little bit diferent. 

This is very similar to what I use:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/community-content-tools-and-tutorials/6142-auto-uv-color-material-for-block-outs-download-available

UE4_Mockup_Animated.gif

It's true. UE4's bsp tool does feel unwieldy compared to hammer's but then again you don't have to live and die by the grid because of the fear of leaks. It can be too intimidating to think the grid as just a measuring/alignment tool rather than something that is whole foundation of the level.

YES YOU DON'T HAVE TO ABSOLUTELY FOLLOW THE GRID AND THAT IS FINE AND YOU ARE NOT A NOOB FOR DOING SO depends what youre building tho.