I remember Autodesk having student and indie licenses, the first like one year for free, the second very affordable.

I think everyone prefer to have free tools if it's for personal use… on the bright side, paying for practice should motivate more.

I remember Autodesk having student and indie licenses, the first like one year for free, the second very affordable.

I think everyone prefer to have free tools if it's for personal use… on the bright side, paying for practice should motivate more.

Autodesk's student stuff is a plain free license, it's great.  (Though adobe has their student deal on creative cloud that's so worth it)

Crytek's doing the same thing now, but for $9.90/mo: http://cryengine.com/news/crytek-announces-its-cryengine-as-a-service-program (Free Cryengine still a thing, and there's support for Linux with Cryengine.)

Edited by Marcem

Lets be real here though, while unity is awesome, it is childs play compared to unreal 4. I mean youre complaining about $240?? I mean come on man!

Let me reiterate here: TWO HUNDRED AND FOURTY DOLLARS.

How is it childs play in comparison? (I'm asking out of ignorance, because its been 10 years since I touched anything unreal).

As far as I can tell there's way more games being produced with unity. I've personally played a lot more unity games than unreal games at this point. And unreal doesn't support wp8 (which I use as my personal phone). I get that unreal is way better if you are going to create a shooter or 3rd person action adventure, but that might change now that they've finally updated physx in unity.

Edited by Skjalg

Lets be real here though, while unity is awesome, it is childs play compared to unreal 4. I mean youre complaining about $240?? I mean come on man!

How is it childs play in comparison? (I'm asking out of ignorance, because its been 10 years since I touched anything unreal).

As far as I can tell there's way more games being produced with unity. I've personally played a lot more unity games than unreal games at this point. And unreal doesn't support wp8 (which I use as my personal phone). I get that unreal is way better if you are going to create a shooter or 3rd person action adventure, but that might change now that they've finally updated physx in unity.

Dude, it's an engine capable of dumping out AAA next-gen games right out of the box. It's an entirely different beast to Unity.

Dude, it's an engine capable of dumping out AAA next-gen games right out of the box. It's an entirely different beast to Unity.

Hence why it isn't going to be used by many indie devs. It requires AAA production values and costs.

Unity is supreme leader in indie games right now. It is FAR easier to use than unreal/cryengine for creating a non FPS game and getting it working on multiple platforms.

Yeah, so is Unity though, so I don't really see why its a different beast. But please, enlighten me :)

Yeah, so is Unity though, so I don't really see why its a different beast. But please, enlighten me :)

Consider yourself ... enlightened?

No seriously CE/UDK feature set isn't even comparable out of the box with Unity. I'd love to see someone build Arkham Asylum in Unity...

having years of experience with both unity and unreal:

i can assure you the only thing that unreal has over unity is collision/player physics ... thats it. okay and dynamic occlusion ! 

Blueprint looks sexy as hell.

Does Unity have visual scripting out of the box? Not used it for ages.

UE4 materials go much further than shaderforge. Shaderforge does not do instancing, mat functions, layered materials, material collections and so on. Shaderforge is awesome but it is what UE3 was in 2006 already and things moved on in the mean time. Likewise for uscript. If that is like Kismet then it is a million miles behind on UE4.  Blueprint is nothing like Kismet, Kismet is prehistoric. I am obviously biased but I haven't seen anything else come anywhere near the power of Blueprint. It takes a while to get into but once you understand how it all works it is ridiculoulsy powerful for non programmers.

The engine lightmaps and has to lightmap. You do not want an engine that can only do dynamic lighting. You want an engine that is flexible and allows multiple things, like Unity is as well.  You also want an engine that runs well on most people's computers. Again that requires things like support for lightmaps.

Also you got to pay only one month, then you can cancel your subscription and still hold on to the engine. That means you can get it for just 20 USD, forever.