Sign in to follow this  
JamesL

Project Morpheus VR

So we're finally announced :)

morpheus.jpg

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-03-18-sony-unveils-vr-headset-at-gdc

http://kotaku.com/sony-announces-virtual-reality-is-coming-to-the-playsta-1546773778

Has anyone tried this yet at GDC? What are the community's thoughts on VR then?

Edited by JamesL

Hehe yeah, been waiting/hoping for this announcement for a while (supposedly it was going to be revealed back in August/September). I love the fact that VR is getting a resurgence, and tho the Oculus Rift is really neat and fun to goof around with, then I'm more excited about the prospect of Sony pursuing this, with their hardware and software capabilities. I am slightly concerned about the 1080p displays tho, I've only tried the 720p Oculus Rift, but the grid outlining the pixels severely hampers it (or gives it a cool 80's retro feel depending on who you ask), and I reckon you need 2k displays to really get rid of the grid.

Are you working on any of the games they've announced so far James? (diving game and sword fighting games was it?). I think there's a huge potential for exploration games or more slow paced stuff (fast paced shooters I'm still not entirely convinced of, based on the Rift at least).

Anyway, really exciting, rumours are popping up that MS are working on some VR stuff of their own, so if VR is the new motion controls then I say bring it on! :)

Yeah I'm working on one of the titles. Designing for VR is quite different to working on more conventional titles, you need to relearn a lot of the design principles you thought set in stone. They are quite different in a VR environment.

I'm interested to see what MS come up with too. Competition is healthy :)

Shuhei Yoshida has publically said: "Not this year"

Everyone working around it is NDA'd up to the eyeballs so you're not going to get any more than that I'm afraid.

Does the morpheus have extra hardware to handle the load of VR? I saw how the occulus was saying a 980 is the minimum which is way more powerful than a ps4. 

Well the graphics in that demo don't look to be anything too taxing. So long as they can hit the required resolution with a good framerate then it should be fine. I'm sure the PS4 could run that demo.

Would like to see maybe a Time Crisis styled game on this. The Move is pretty damn accurate so shooting would feel nice and if you could move into cover using the Morpheus it'd be kinda cool. I know some arcade games have done it in the past. Might be nice in VR.

Edited by Beck