FMPONE

DE_CROWN

With CSGO, you cannot just take the file from workshop and pack it up as bzip2 and throw it to fast download host (sv_downloadurl). It will be missing files that come with workshop.

It is a good idea for mappers to do a separate packing for such purpose, but only when the map is done, so filename doesn't get used too early, or rename it such as FMPONE did, but that renaming should not be used with workshop.

CSGO is somewhat a bastard/experimental release for Valve games, it goes from middle and doesn't do anything 100% correctly from server admin point of view. You are either bound to use workshop or sv_downloadurl, not both. Also to mix regular maps with votes, that's also something that usually breaks things, if server tries to change to a map that is not in the cycle.

I am one of the guys who administered both a workshop server and a fastdownload server, and it was no problem to host workshop maps that changed their names with updates since every workshop submission has a unique ID (DE_Crown has the ID 239672577 for example)  that never changes with the updates, so I don't know how you can have a problem with that. Maybe you've set the server up the wrong way or the way of hosting a workshop server has changed, which I don't believe.

Also:

With CSGO, you cannot just take the file from workshop and pack it up as bzip2 and throw it to fast download host (sv_downloadurl). It will be missing files that come with workshop.

Yes, you can actually. The Workshop Map Publisher does basically the same thing that pakrat does (it doesnt pack textures and soundfiles though, only the radar and nav afaik).

My statement is to always change the name/ add a new suffix to a map with an update.

There isn't right or wrong way, there are multiple ways to setup maps and run them. If map cycles are set in gamemodes_server.txt, where the maps are listed in mapgroup(s) with the map names, such as:

{
                                "de_train"        ""
                                "de_dust2"          ""
                                ""workshop/239672577/de_crown_v2 ""

}

It will cause issues. I know few people who setup their servers like this. I got complaints from 2 people who run servers with my workshop map, since i kept changing the name while publishing it to the workshop.

If you just run one map, like +map 239672577 in the command line, that's not an issue. Though i havent tested but i guess it would be possible to replace that "workshop/239672577/de_crown_v2" with "239672577" there and it would work? How exactly you managed those map lists?

Workshop will pack only maps *.txt, *.kv and *.dds among with .cfg if there is one. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/CSGO_Map_Publish_Tool. But if you just take the bsp and dont know where the rest of the files are, there is an issue.

This might help you, (you need to create a collection in the workshop and add the maps you want in the rotation to the collection): https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/CSGO_Workshop_For_Server_Operators

Workshop will pack only maps *.txt, *.kv and *.dds among with .cfg if there is one. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/CSGO_Map_Publish_Tool. But if you just take the bsp and dont know where the rest of the files are, there is an issue.

What other files do you mean? There is just the one .bsp (and a thumbnail) after you submit it. Everything else should be packed into the bsp already, so there is nothing more you have to search for.

And sorry guys for going off topic. DE_Crown is an great map :)

Hey guys, been a little while coming, but Part 3 of Building Crown is live now on PC GAMER :) You can read it here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/09/building-crown-part-3-collaborating-with-the-counter-strike-community/

if you haven't already, PLEASE show your support on the workshop :D

Nice!

Don't think I can link it, but in the second to last image the from bottom of page 1, the stain decal on the left cuts off abruptly. Really minor, but probably something people might see since it is at player height.

Good eye, didn't catch that one.

What's with the French text in the 4th and 8th picture? :P "Hotel Du Cheval Blanc"

Anyway, nice article, goes for the whole series btw, really enjoy reading stuff like that :)

What's with the French text in the 4th and 8th picture? :P "Hotel Du Cheval Blanc"

Anyway, nice article, goes for the whole series btw, really enjoy reading stuff like that :)

You guys notice everything :P

It's a placeholder. Glad you liked the article !

epic!

...been playing crown some, not a lot, but a few hours, felt like some things were missing but I believe you guys addressed it in this update!

however, one minor thing, I'd offset the tiling of the textures on (all) the stairs - it's a little repetitive, seen it in-game (but also on the screenshots)

I usually do -800, 500, -200, 800, 0, etc on the x/y of each step, goes fast since they already are aligned, as a final touch, everything needs to be flawless ;)

lead the way with implementing trickjumps etc love that old school shieet! :D