JediX

[CS GO] de_medieval (wip)

Looking good! :) What does "olde" means?

Olde is used to describe an old-fashioned style that is intended to be quaint and attractive. It was used a lot in Englands past for example "Ye Olde Town". I was trying to make a play on words as cicinnati has pointed out. :)

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

"Ye Olde" is a pseudo-Early Modern English stock prefix, used anachronistically, suggestive of a Merry England or Deep England feel. A typical example would be Ye Olde English Pubbe or similar names of theme pubs.

It looks brilliant! Seems you're picking up the game fast considering you only started mapping recently :) I wish I had that easy/quick reference materials for maps I make :D

Hello !

I'm loving the style of this map, its looking great so far.

Possibly a useful tip for you... 

If you create your wall textures as greyscale vtfs you can tint them using $color "{150 104 98}"

in the vmt , making it pretty quick and cheap perfwise to create many wall variants.

This method can be seen used in cs_italy  and recently in de_overpass,   materials/cs_italy/hpe_plaster_tint_red.vmt is an example.

Hello !

I'm loving the style of this map, its looking great so far.

Possibly a useful tip for you... 

If you create your wall textures as greyscale vtfs you can tint them using $color "{150 104 98}"

in the vmt , making it pretty quick and cheap perfwise to create many wall variants.

This method can be seen used in cs_italy  and recently in de_overpass,   materials/cs_italy/hpe_plaster_tint_red.vmt is an example.

Excellent. I was hoping I would be able to do this. Great tip!!!

So, after the playtest last week I received some valuable feedback during the test and after from Niller^.-. I have spent my time simplifying the T route to B site and balancing it from the CT pov. I have also started texturing it up to make it look prettier. I still very much need to work on A site for both T's and CT's but would like to play-test again first. Should be ready some time next week-ish. :)

Here are a few of screenshots of B site.

CICiLHH.jpg

4ycYPOQ.jpg

wj9Vx09.jpg

4PQxfwt.jpg

pFGM7w3.jpg

9BcZJxq.jpg

It looks kind of out of place for CSGO's world, but that doesn't stop me liking the looks of this and being impatient to try this out.

My plan is to add modern day props such as electrical box's, telegraph poles and pipes etc to bring it into a modern day type setting. Much like a lot of the maps in CS GO. But I do like an historical setting. I will leave this task till last.

Hey Jedix. Got to play your map doing the last playtest, heres a little late feedback, but better late than never ;)

Overall: 

- The map have some places which could use more lightning. (B-site under the house). 

B-site:
I like how you changed B, imo it improved the experience from last time, yet still needs alot of work. For some example: 

- The narrow path way into B for CT seems a bit clumsy, and I think that some people managed to get onto the roofs from there. You'll might want to look into that.

- One can camp in the well

- I like that one shall run from one house to another through the balcony to get into B from upstairs, but I think it would have a better feel if you somehow makes it so that one don't have to jump to get through. Jumping also destroys any plans of suprise attack from above ;)

A-site: 

Didn't really use this site so much since it looks like it still needs alot of work compared to the rest of the map. Lets see for next playtest ;)

Middle:

I think you should still somehow use a market. It adds to the overall map. Just make sure that it have somewhat clear sightlines and doesn't clutter too much. I think the gate is a fun idea, but might not play well, if you aim for a more competitive-wise map, but for a casual map it's the way to go! ;)

This is what I've just had on top of my mind. Hope it helped ;)