Sprony

The Order 1886

Been playing it since late last week...sony magically mailed me a copy but it wasn't on my radar to buy but certainly would have rented (if possible).

Here goes my take:

1) Graphics are really good...but man is it a gray palette.  Fits with the moody steampunky ye 19th century alternetive ye olde London, guvnah!

2) Voice acting is more than satisfactory.  A strong point!

3) The world is detailed. The levels are thought out...but it is very hyper extremely uberly linear.  Not necessarily a bad thing always but you notice it. Did I mention it was very linear?

4) QTEs.  Just gonna leave that there.

5) Lots of cutscenes with nice voice acting...some drama.  But beyond the QTEs and cutscenes the gameplay is corridor cover shooter with a lot of moments where control is taken away from the player.  Sometimes it doesn't bother me, but many times it did at least a little.  This isn't enough to make me hate the game, but it's enough that I wish they spent more time on the game design but fuuuucckkkk the must have spent a shitassmutherfuckinglong time on getting the visuals and cutscenes and voice acting done.  Le sigh...

6) The gunplay is actually satisfying.  If you are willing to accept the linearity, the corridors, the QTEs, then the combat itself isn't horrible. Nothing innovative, but I like shooting the guns in this game....a lot.  Someone made the gun audio pretty good.

7)

Found a Sackboy easter egg early in the game. Very obvious but it actually fit in with the setting the way they did it and if you had never heard of or seen sackboy from LittleBigPlanet you would have thought it was just a toy one might find in London in that era.

Haven't finished it, but played enough to have a very strong feeling for it.  I find it satisfying enough, and frankly easy enough that it isn't an incredible amount of work to get through so I'm probably going to finish it.  

Cheers mates!

I seem to be one of those weirdos who want a game to last forever, I'm not a completionist at all, in fact when a game I play and enjoy finishes I'm actually quite sad. So, I will avoid a short game like this at all costs, unless it's really, really cheap. Just no way I can justify spending full price to get such little value :( I don't actually care about production values at all, that extra 10% of effort visually just fly's over my head the moment that I play. IMO a sp game should be at LEAST 10 hours if not longer, with enough depth to replay it at least once. Bioshock is about the shortest SP game that I actually enjoyed, but even then It didn't have the depth (no pun intended) to really grip me and make it one of my favs.

There is a place for cinematic, character and story driven games, but they need to represent good value, like Mass Effect or even the Walking Dead games. 

Edited by 2d-chris

Well...I played it some more after my post above...............................

.....and....

..............................starting...........to get......

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzgrayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....gray.....zzzzzzzz....

It's not Knj, it just takes a bigger more substantial game longer to build. I've no doubt we will see lots of great games in the next year or two. Hopefully, this will be a message to developers, I would of thought Ryse was an eye opener for what not to do. Sometimes the formula just doesn't work, huge production costs for a tiny amount of content and asking full price for it. If you compare this to, say, Mass Effect 2, MGS, DE3, Skyrim (and endless other good games) the value just stinks regardless of quality and execution ... PS I've not played the game or even read about it, but my point here isn't about quality over quantity, it's about value for money and expectations.

Edited by 2d-chris

I said it would have been a gears of war clone since the first cinematic. I got insulted, but I'm still sad I was right.

Team has several Italian devs, one posts in a forum I moderate, says reviews are bad but player feedback is positive, didn't seem to be disappointed

I still didn't played the game but I saw it yesterday (when a new game is released, it is available for all of us in the studio...so yesterday we were behind the guys who were testing it :) ).
For what I've seen it seems really boring in term of gameplay...or I should say it's not my kind of game ; too many cinematics, too many QTE, too many times where the game take the player's hand...

AND THAT'S SAD because this game is really impressive in term of graphic, atmosphere,...it's the kind of game where I want to stop at each rooms / streets / ... because I want a screenshot there and there...