Stiffy360

Source Skybox Texture Pack (403mb)

24 posts in this topic

You don't come across a lot of decent skyboxes often, so it's always nice to have more to choose from :)

Thanks!

Those are some killer skies. Nice job. You guys should make some skydome variations too. You might find those easier to paint as well.

Yeah it would be nice to have the uncompressed tga's.

Edited by MrTwoVideoCards

Bit of a bump but does anyone know if the CS:GO specification for HDR skies changed at all? I've been playing around with all of these and some of them work as HDR just fine while others just show the compressed HDR texture as it appears in the preview/when decompiled to tga (all pixelated, etc). I tried a bunch of tests and examined the VMTs between the skies that worked correctly, the ones that didn't, and the HDR skies that come with CSGO and they are all identical from what I could tell, so the only conclusion I could draw is that something changed in the VTF specification along the way?

Bit of a bump but does anyone know if the CS:GO specification for HDR skies changed at all? I've been playing around with all of these and some of them work as HDR just fine while others just show the compressed HDR texture as it appears in the preview/when decompiled to tga (all pixelated, etc). I tried a bunch of tests and examined the VMTs between the skies that worked correctly, the ones that didn't, and the HDR skies that come with CSGO and they are all identical from what I could tell, so the only conclusion I could draw is that something changed in the VTF specification along the way?

Late quote, but CS:GO broke the "sky" shader. The only way to do it now is to use "UnlitGeneric" on the LDR skies.

Edited by Stiffy360

Late quote, but CS:GO broke the "sky" shader. The only way to do it now is to use "UnlitGeneric" on the LDR skies.

Thanks. Does this mean we dont have HDR skies in CSGO? It's strange, because some of them from the pack appear to work correctly (sky_reddusk01 as an example) but only when their LDR equivalent is loaded. The same goes for the stock skies; loading the HDR equivalent displays the compressed HDR texture while loading the one without the HDR extension applies the bloom effect to the sky. 

This is good to know though, cheers. If you have the uncompressed versions of the skies it would be a huge asset, because some of the LDR ones were shrunk down to save texture memory and are very pixelated (~256px for example) while their HDR equivalents are full 1024px. If you need hosting for this let me know, I've got tons of space!

Edited by spence

wow extremely late, but CS:GO effectively broke the sky shader so HDR skies no longer work. You must use the LDR sky with unlitgeneric to use in CS:GO