[CS:GO] de_coldwater

mendaxyz

A traditional German village is raided by Balkan terrorists on a cold morning. The GSG-9 are dispatched in response to this threat.

Hello, everyone! I have just released my new CS:GO map de_coldwater, set in a German village. I've been working on it for about 5 months now and am hoping to get some feedback on aesthetics and layout. Enjoy!

Download from workshop.

post-31050-0-56276100-1390265291_thumb.j

post-31050-0-50918400-1390265301_thumb.j

post-31050-0-29695700-1390265321_thumb.j

post-31050-0-04942700-1390265329_thumb.j

post-31050-0-34089300-1390265342_thumb.j

post-31050-0-92786200-1390265353_thumb.j

post-31050-0-72924000-1390265359_thumb.j

I like your map!  Poked around some with bots.

The water is awesome!  Would like some gaps in the wall on the immediate left when spawning on T-side to be drawn more in that direction.  Would also be nice if there was something in the water near the T spawn to take focus away from the far edge of the water.

The pillars in B are visually interesting, but they make the space very tight and claustrophobic.  Would delete the ones that aren't against the walls or find some way to ease the flow.

The green dumpster in front of the doorway around the middle of the map creates nice cover.  I would consider replacing it with something more visually appropriate though, if even just a small brick wall or another wood pile.

The wooden stairs above the water leading from CT spawn could benefit from decals or some form of wear, especially on the platform where the wood texture pinches.

There is a sharp collision at the curb below the big slanted wall.  This can cause you to bounce backwards when trying to make the difficult jump up the wall - would suggest smoothing the curb.

Would also suggest clipping all of the stairs for consistency.  A lot of them are already clipped, but many of the small stairways stand out.  The stairs leading to the three paintings feel too narrow, although they look nice.

You may want to get some opinions on FPS in the back of A-site (top of stairs) and at the dead end of the walkway with the broken arch in the center near B.  I dip to mid-40's on a local server with bots, might not be that bad on modern hardware.

Some ambient water sounds that trigger on spawn would be very cool.

Great use of lighting color and contrast between indoor an outdoor.  You nailed it!

Both spawn points do an amazing job of selling the map up front from a visual standpoint.  Inspiring stuff.

The spec on the indoor wooden floors is a very nice touch.

Cool snow!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appriciate it!

The water is awesome!  Would like some gaps in the wall on the immediate left when spawning on T-side to be drawn more in that direction.  Would also be nice if there was something in the water near the T spawn to take focus away from the far edge of the water.

The pillars in B are visually interesting, but they make the space very tight and claustrophobic.  Would delete the ones that aren't against the walls or find some way to ease the flow.

The green dumpster in front of the doorway around the middle of the map creates nice cover.  I would consider replacing it with something more visually appropriate though, if even just a small brick wall or another wood pile.

The wooden stairs above the water leading from CT spawn could benefit from decals or some form of wear, especially on the platform where the wood texture pinches.

There is a sharp collision at the curb below the big slanted wall.  This can cause you to bounce backwards when trying to make the difficult jump up the wall - would suggest smoothing the curb.

Would also suggest clipping all of the stairs for consistency.  A lot of them are already clipped, but many of the small stairways stand out.  The stairs leading to the three paintings feel too narrow, although they look nice.

You may want to get some opinions on FPS in the back of A-site (top of stairs) and at the dead end of the walkway with the broken arch in the center near B.  I dip to mid-40's on a local server with bots, might not be that bad on modern hardware.

Some ambient water sounds that trigger on spawn would be very cool.

Thank you for the critique. I tried to experiment with and fix as many as these as I could, especially those related to gameplay. Some of them like the water sounds will require some time for me to make custom soundscapes, and others (such as the dumpster) are oddities that I noticed while building the map but wasn't able to find a suitable replacement. I'll continue to looking into the list as I do future updates, so any more suggestions that anyone has to offer would be greatly appriciated.

• 4 weeks later...