20th Century Fox Gave Him $25,000 To Make A Movie Trailer

knj

this guy is living off of making these videos. when a pr dept comes to him and gives him a shit ton of money, they know that he's not gonna make a "trailer". Its nice that the money got to the philipines, but its a very small amount in comparison to what's actually needed and to the amount of money that they probably spent on his crew (filming, editing, loggie, etc).

I don't know man, maybe I'm just getting old and cynical...

I think it was a lovely gesture and great of Fox to support, but I couldn't help but watch it and thank... OK, so they've got food for like a day or two. Then it's back to living in half-underwater wreckage and being under constant threat of rape and/or murder.

It's not so much a criticism of him as it is me just realising how god damn futile things can be even when you throw half a person's salary at it, never mind the $5 or whatever it is charities often ask us to give. This world, man...

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

+ I hate those fake advert, can't they just give money or help and not yell it to every corner ?

Next time i'll hold the elevator for an granny in my building i'll make a video to promote how good, kind and helpful I am. And this is what i can do with 0 cents, so I let you imagine what i could do with 25.000$.

What is terrible about this, like a lot of the vocabulary used by corporations and management theories, is that it is concretely so good, you feel guilty and cynical saying otherwise. Even worse : if you disagree you are still forced to agree when they do stuff like that, because that's something you can't deny at the faces of the people they helped; and if you dare, it's easy as saying : "we acted and helped those people, what did you do ?". It works by guilt and morale authority, and at the same time demonstrate the almost magical power of big institutions.

There's everything in it, 3:53 poor kids playing in the worst slums with an emotional piano on top of it, even a cute lonely puppy at 5:54.

For you british guys here :), when i was living in england ( maybe it is an anglosaxon thing i don't know ), i was shocked to see the number of charities you could have everywhere : in the newspapers, at the supermarket, or at some other private corporations etc.

And there was an article i was reading about a charity in the official newspaper of the county about retired people too indigent to pay their heating. I was like : ok this is cool, at least they help old people in need here. But then i thought : mhh, i'm paying as much taxes as i do in France(not saying it's better in france), even a little more; and still the retirement age is at 68, plus you can still see 75 years old people pushing carts at the supermarket, or cleaning companies offices to make it at the end of the month. And some retired individuals can't pay their heating. Where is my money going ? do the state rely on charities to take care of the retired people who payed taxes all their life ? i mean a lot of schools and clinics are privatised. I was left very interrogated. 

The other thing was when i was doing my food shopping at waitrose as the foreigner i was, when paying the cashier they actually give you a small green plastic token with waitrose written on it, i asked what is for, and they explained me it has to be put in one of the three boxes at the exit of the supermarket to choose to which charity i wanted to give. Ok that sound super cool from waitrose i told myself, cancer, mhh or handicapped people i don't know.

Then after some months as i forgot to go to these boxes, i realised i had a lot of those plastic tokens with waitrose written on it in my pockets, in my home, i found a lot of them in the park or the streets. And i thought to myself : they are actually pouring plastic everywhere in people environment and intimacy for advertisement use ? holyshit

It's all a question of language, those modern PR and management theories slowly take away the words you need to name and think those institutions. They talk about projects, not exploitations; personal development, pleasure, and not workers efficiency; when you see a budget overseer you call it a producer, the supervisor of the exploitation's workers is called human resources. The words hierarchy and authority are banned and took away from their vocabulary.  tl;dr but it's all but a terrible terrible thing to my eyes :v "google, don't be evil" etc

I don't like this kind of video. 25k$ to get 1k$ worth of goods into Philippines + ego wankjob for the creator and PR for fox. Smells fishy. Imagine Fox would just donate a million. It would be just a number that gets unnoticed but would actualy have a much more profound impact. Instead they donate 25k and get huge PR boost out of it and lots of people think they are the nicest company for letting this narcissist do his thing.

/rant

Back to supporting stuff with FB likes.

25000 is still better than nothing, no matter what the real reason behind it is. I bet that none of the Filipinos that where helped are complaining, since they where probably out of food for days, and don't have houses, or anything at all. Also, considering that their average income is around 100$ per month those 25000 are basically a shitload of money.

First world problems right here.

I don't like this kind of video. 25k$ to get 1k$ worth of goods into Philippines + ego wankjob for the creator and PR for fox. Smells fishy. Imagine Fox would just donate a million. It would be just a number that gets unnoticed but would actualy have a much more profound impact. Instead they donate 25k and get huge PR boost out of it and lots of people think they are the nicest company for letting this narcissist do his thing.

/rant

Back to supporting stuff with FB likes.

Yeah I can agree with this. There's probably an organisation in the Philippines that they could have just wired the money to and they'd have made excellent use of it. Instead, I'm guessing that at least 50% of the budget went on travel, filming, hotels, etc for the sake of filming six minutes of self-indulgent 'feel good' footage.

Don't get me wrong I definitely believe that something is better than nothing, but truly helping struggling parts of the world requires more than just throwing money at the problem. Of course, Fox wouldn't have given the money if they knew they weren't going to get any real PR out of it so there you go.