Nerve

Interview for QA position

Oh yeh sure. I'd completely encourage people to do level design, art, programming etc to add to their portfolio whilst working in QA. There are a lot of people in QA and fresh University graduates competing for the same limited number of roles, I'm not saying time served in QA should automatically make you a developer.

An internship would be much better experience than a QA role, but QA is still very valuable experience in terms of understanding the development pipeline and seeing it from the other side. I think it's helped me understand the role of QA better. There is a surprising amount of animosity from some developers towards QA and vice versa and I think a lot of that could stem from not understanding what eachother does on a daily basis.

But different companies have different attitudes to hiring and career progress. Having QA experience probably isn't as relevant as it used to be but I don't think it hurts.

QA is definitely something I'd consider, it's just this time around the length of contract/salary were absolutely not worth it. I'm still going to be applying for QA jobs without a doubt, I'm just hoping I find one that's either a longer-term or permanent.

As far as I see it, it's better to be working in QA within the Industry and learning in your own time than it is to be working in a field that is completely unrelated.

It's all exposure to the process which I think will be invaluable when I get around to applying for dev/design roles.

completely agree with every word written here, and a reason for that will be told in a few weeks.

*wink*

So I've just heard back from a studio in Newcastle that would like to interview me next week. The contract is a minimum of 6 months, so a bit longer than the previous one. I haven't had any info about salary yet, but I imagine it'd be in line with the other one. It's still a difficult position for me with my girlfriend and so on, but it's only 2 hours away as opposed to 4.

Am I throwing away chances here? I know it's only QA, but if I can continue working on level/game design in my own time then surely this improves my chances of landing a job? Be it at that particular studio or elsewhere.

I'm guessing the general consensus will still be to pass but I thought I'd ask again, you're a helpful bunch :)

Edited by Nerve

Yeah I can totally understand what you mean about throwing away chances here, but it's still a 2 hour trip for a 6 month QA position. If it was me I'd pass this one up as well. I've been in a similar position, when I was 19 I got offered a junior spot at dice but I was engaged then and my girlfriend refused (understandably) to move so I passed it up. Basically... dump your girlfriend and everything becomes a lot easier! Haha no I'm kidding, but don't pick something that will put a strain on your relationship unless you're both prepared for it.

Edited by dux

Two hours trip is nothing, i used to get the train at 6:30 to get to university by 9 in my first trimester.

I would go to the interview, just to see how it is like, then you can always refuse the position for reasons they will never be interested in verifying (i guess).

As relationships goes, my sister and her boyfriend kept alive theirs, and she was studying in Italy, he was in the UK. And they had met the summer just before my sis was starting university, so this went on for about two years (the second year he moved to Italy for ~12 months). They are married now. It's not ideal, but just saying that your motivation will make you move mountains.

Six months "apart" is something perfectly doable if your relationship is destined to go somewhere -- so many of my uni friends had girl/boyfriends back in their home towns in a 2-3 hours commute range.

Edited by blackdog

Reviving an old thread but anyway... I've been in contact with the AAA studio again, they have a QA position open until the end of October.

My position is slightly different to last time, as I'm not longer in a long-term relationship and I guess I'm free to do as I please. I am still working full time, so it'd mean taking quite a hefty pay cut, relocating 4 hours away (to a city I'd actually love to live in) and living in a flat share for 3 months which is about a 30 minute bus journey from the studio.

Again, there are no guarantees the contract will be renewed and I don't think it would be, but even if it's not, I can see myself looking for work in the city. From looking around on LinkedIn, a lot of the QA staff seem to be around for some time or end up working in more specific areas - I'm starting to think it's a chance I might as well just take as it could possibly open up other doors. After living expenses, I wouldn't have much left to go out on but I could get by.

Current job is sucking the life out of me and I feel like I need a fresh start somewhere. If it goes tits up, then it goes tits up... at least I tried and had the experience - but maybe I'm just trying to reassure myself there! You guys always offer sound advice, I guess I'm just looking for opinions again, what would you guys do?

Edited by Nerve

If your current job kills your spirit and you are already single, with no other ties and have chance to go to the city you love, I would say, do it. 

If your current job kills your spirit and you are already single, with no other ties and have chance to go to the city you love, I would say, do it. 

I'm thinking this way myself. In some ways I guess I want to hear other people say it so that I'll have the balls to do it... if that makes sense.   :v

Edited by Nerve

Current job is sucking the life out of me and I feel like I need a fresh start somewhere. If it goes tits up, then it goes tits up... at least I tried and had the experience - but maybe I'm just trying to reassure myself there! You guys always offer sound advice, I guess I'm just looking for opinions again, what would you guys do?

To me it sounds like you already answered your own question there :) Do it!

I'm thinking this way myself. In some ways I guess I want to hear other people say it so that I'll have the balls to do it... if that makes sense.   :v

Sorry, I'm not getting notifications when I'm quoted. Anyway, yeah that makes sense. But I think everyone painted a pretty clear picture for you. However, I do want to leave you with one last thing. Go in with a safety net. If it all goes Murphy, make sure you got something to fall back on. Like your parent, family, really good friends, whatever. We don't want to read that you are left jobless, homeless and out on the street ;)