Nerve

Interview for QA position

I've managed to get through to the third stage interviews at a prestigeous development studio for a Games Tester position and they want me to come in to the studio to meet them.

However, they've just told me that it's a 4 month contract with no guarantees of a permanent position afterwards. The salary is much lower than what I'm currently on (in a full-time perm position) and I'd have to relocate. 

The salary doesn't bother me too much, it's the fact I might end up back at square one... but with that AAA studio's name on my CV.

I was just wondering what you guys thought, is this too good of an opportunity to miss if I want to build a career in the industry? 

Edited by FrieChamp
Removed studio's name

Based on what you're saying then I'd say pass as well. Even if having that studio's name on your CV is a really nice plus, then it sounds like a pretty crappy deal for what is likely going to be a short contract anyway. 

4 months isn't too long, you and your girlfriend could live with it, but i wouldn't leave a full time job for a 4 months QA job, even at removed studio's name  :) . Depends on what you wanna do, but i doubt QA is the best entry door anyway.

Yeah, I know you guys are right. I suppose the fact they would interview me means there might be more opportunities further down the line, possibly even with them if they ever have full time positions going - that's if they don't think I'm going to waste their time. In the meantime I'll just keep on learning.

I guess the sensible thing to do is to pass.  :shake:

You better do a free internship at a small studio then a QA position for only 4 months + relocation + ....
I would do more research on other solutions, because this does not sounds too well

For 4 months I wouldn't bother leaving your full time job and relocating, really isn't worth it. From my experiences, QA are very expendable unfortunately.

Take a pass on this.

I don't know how others feel about this but, I'd still go up to meet them and go for the final interview stage, it'd be good experience for future interviews. If they offer you the job you can always turn it down or try to negotiate more money.

Edited by Jord

I've passed. I was excited because I didn't think I'd ever get the chance to work in Games after having to leave University, QA or not. You're all right though, it's not a sensible thing to do and it's probably not worth it.

Like I said, it's nice to know I can get responses so I'll just keep looking and learning :)

Pass that shit. The fact you are even considering this is a free ticket for your gf to slap you  :v

Yeah, pretty sure Santa has already thrown away my present.  :lol:

For 4 months I wouldn't bother leaving your full time job and relocating, really isn't worth it. From my experiences, QA are very expendable unfortunately.

Take a pass on this.

I don't know how others feel about this but, I'd still go up to meet them and go for the final interview stage, it'd be good experience for future interviews. If they offer you the job you can always turn it down or try to negotiate more money.

I mentioned that I'd still be more than happy to attend the interview, even if it's just to meet them and then hopefully be considered for any future roles. I didn't really want to turn up if I didn't have any intention of taking a temp contract, she contacted me directly to ask if that was OK before proceeding. I'm waiting for a response. :)

Edited by Nerve

Just a word of caution: In the day and age of google alerts (and mapcore being the holy center of anything gaming related to begin with) there is the possibility that the people who are interviewing you might stumble across discussions here and that could be counter-productive. So in the future, I'd recommend to keep things a little more vague :) Also, good decision on giving this one a pass for the same reasons that others have mentioned.

I've managed to get through to the third stage interviews at a prestigous game development studio for a Games Tester position and they want me to come in to the studio to meet them.

However, they've just told me that it's a 4 month contract with no guarantees of a permanent position afterwards. The salary is much lower than what I'm currently on (in a full-time perm position) and I'd have to relocate to Edinburgh from Leeds and find a place to rent - which is about a 4 hour drive north. Oh and I doubt my girlfriend would want to leave her job, so there's that.

The salary doesn't bother me too much, it's the fact I might end up back at square one... but with that studio on my CV.

I was just wondering what you guys thought, is this too good of an opportunity to miss if I want to build a career in the industry? 

I work in a different industry but what you are describing is what we call disposable assets. Meaning people with throw away contracts for crappy pay with no possibilities whatsoever that are fed the worst kind of work that even the cleaning crew doesn't want to do. 

Not that there's anything wrong with testing. Lots of people started out that way. But if it's very low pay and temporary it's probably something that not a lot of people want to do (including steady testers). Removed studio's name is a big name but this would add little to your resume. A future employer being impressed with 4 months of temp work is highly unlikely. I would not even consider it under gunpoint especially taking your social situation in account.

Trust the people above and forget about it. I do applaud your dedication for even considering it though. That's the kind of stuff that will get you there eventually.

Just a word of caution: In the day and age of google alerts (and mapcore being the holy center of anything gaming related to begin with) there is the possibility that the people who are interviewing you might stumble across discussions here and that could be counter-productive. So in the future, I'd recommend to keep things a little more vague :) Also, good decision on giving this one a pass for the same reasons that others have mentioned.

That's a good point, thanks!

Trust the people above and forget about it. I do applaud your dedication for even considering it though. That's the kind of stuff that will get you there eventually.

I hope so, thanks :)

Edited by Nerve