Christopher Nolan‘s Interstellar

Seldoon182

Interstellar is great,I give it a 10. I know people are finding all sorts of small loopholes or things that don't make sense, but the point of a movie is the experience and the message it conveys and Interstellar excels in both. If you want sound science go read a science book :)

The main themes in Interstellar are science and spirituality and in order to understand the movie fully you have to understand both. The movie introduces scientific concepts such as time dilation, space travel and exoplanets in a very simple way so that the masses can understand them. There was an elderly couple next to me and throughout the whole movie the lady was asking her husband about those concepts. She had several "A-ha!" moments during the movie. What sort of media can get an old person interested in space these days?

The movie also glorifies space exploration in a time the big public is questioning why the government should keep funding NASA (not talking about internet people like us but the average joe really doesn't give a shit about NASA). It's a matter of survival.

And next, the movie introduces spiritual concepts in a very very clear way. I think the main reason spirituality is so dissociated from science these days (it's not always been like this), is because spiritual experiences are all about emotions and emotions are nearly impossible to describe properly in words, let alone in mathematical formulas. However, you can't deny they exist and are a big part of our reality. The way our thought works is by words and words can be very deceiving and limiting, since it impedes abstract thinking. I really like the explanation that they give about why "ghosts" don't exist. The word "to exist" means to be alive (in this reality) so yes, ghosts don't "exist" here the same way we don't "exist" in their reality. Tricky word play.

Then we have the wormhole scene which is pretty much a psychedelic trip. Like all psychedelic trips one must jump alone in the blackhole to learn about himself. Just like in the movie, this is not something that should be taken lightly and lots of reading needs to be done before you feel completely sure about it. I had the privilege of trying DMT once and the wormhole sequence was the exact same experience, one to one that I and everyone else has. I was really speechless during that scene because the experience is nearly impossible to represent in a clear visual way and they managed to pull it off perfectly.

The best way to describe what happens once you jump into that "black hole" is that reality starts to crumble around you and you have no idea what the fuck is happening. The more you go, you start to see fractals (exactly like the 4th dimension grid-like patterns they show in the movie). Once you look at one direction, things start to converge and you see the "tunnel of light" that people who have near death experiences and psychedelic trips report. After you follow that tunnel and the light, everything converges around you and you experience the "peaking at reality from the backstage part". This is the part where he was trying to communicate with his daughter. This is also how I imagine "ghosts" see us, assuming some aspect of your being survives death.

Anyways, in the end we discover that love is the answer, which is the hippiest ideas of them all. The simplest reason I can give for this is that we are emotional beings. What our brain interprets as love is a clue that you are in the right mindset. If you love what you do chances are you will do it much better than someone who hates it. If you love someone and that person loves you back you both grow as persons. People who landed on the moon were the most passionate people you can find. And so on. It's a really simple concept but very hard to visualize if you think only in words, and also very hard to put into words so it's ok if this makes no sense to you. It will one day :P

TLDR: Interstellar is a journey through science and spirituality and psychedelics.

Interstellar is great,I give it a 10. I know people are finding all sorts of small loopholes or things that don't make sense, but the point of a movie is the experience and the message it conveys and Interstellar excels in both. If you want sound science go read a science book :)

The main themes in Interstellar are science and spirituality and in order to understand the movie fully you have to understand both. The movie introduces scientific concepts such as time dilation, space travel and exoplanets in a very simple way so that the masses can understand them. There was an elderly couple next to me and throughout the whole movie the lady was asking her husband about those concepts. She had several "A-ha!" moments during the movie. What sort of media can get an old person interested in space these days?

The movie also glorifies space exploration in a time the big public is questioning why the government should keep funding NASA (not talking about internet people like us but the average joe really doesn't give a shit about NASA). It's a matter of survival.

And next, the movie introduces spiritual concepts in a very very clear way. I think the main reason spirituality is so dissociated from science these days (it's not always been like this), is because spiritual experiences are all about emotions and emotions are nearly impossible to describe properly in words, let alone in mathematical formulas. However, you can't deny they exist and are a big part of our reality. The way our thought works is by words and words can be very deceiving and limiting, since it impedes abstract thinking. I really like the explanation that they give about why "ghosts" don't exist. The word "to exist" means to be alive (in this reality) so yes, ghosts don't "exist" here the same way we don't "exist" in their reality. Tricky word play.

Then we have the wormhole scene which is pretty much a psychedelic trip. Like all psychedelic trips one must jump alone in the blackhole to learn about himself. Just like in the movie, this is not something that should be taken lightly and lots of reading needs to be done before you feel completely sure about it. I had the privilege of trying DMT once and the wormhole sequence was the exact same experience, one to one that I and everyone else has. I was really speechless during that scene because the experience is nearly impossible to represent in a clear visual way and they managed to pull it off perfectly.

The best way to describe what happens once you jump into that "black hole" is that reality starts to crumble around you and you have no idea what the fuck is happening. The more you go, you start to see fractals (exactly like the 4th dimension grid-like patterns they show in the movie). Once you look at one direction, things start to converge and you see the "tunnel of light" that people who have near death experiences and psychedelic trips report. After you follow that tunnel and the light, everything converges around you and you experience the "peaking at reality from the backstage part". This is the part where he was trying to communicate with his daughter. This is also how I imagine "ghosts" see us, assuming some aspect of your being survives death.

Anyways, in the end we discover that love is the answer, which is the hippiest ideas of them all. The simplest reason I can give for this is that we are emotional beings. What our brain interprets as love is a clue that you are in the right mindset. If you love what you do chances are you will do it much better than someone who hates it. If you love someone and that person loves you back you both grow as persons. People who landed on the moon were the most passionate people you can find. And so on. It's a really simple concept but very hard to visualize if you think only in words, and also very hard to put into words so it's ok if this makes no sense to you. It will one day :P

TLDR: Interstellar is a journey through science and spirituality and psychedelics.

:soq_post:

hehe I don't know, the score is quite minimal indeed, im listening to it now - problem for me was the awful sound quality in the cinema here in frankfurt - or the bad mixing in the audio which a lot of people are complaining about on IMDB.

The movies audio has INSANE dynamic range, often quiet then tons of shit at the same time, bass is overcooked and the main actors voice being deep doesn't help either. 

Some people where even leaving the cinema as some scenes where just too loud and screechy! 

So I think it's the sound mixing, which just didn't work for me and is by far the least impressive part of the movie IMO, maybe on blueray it will be better as it's easy to balance your profile for this at home if you care enough about it lol

Edited by 2d-chris

The movies audio has INSANE dynamic range, often quiet then tons of shit at the same time, bass is overcooked and the main actors voice being deep doesn't help either. 

Some people where even leaving the cinema as some scenes where just too loud and screechy! 

Yeah, I noticed that here too, Cinemas tends to make the sounds really loud : I recently saw Guardians of the Galaxy, Sin City 2 and Interstellar, in the same theater and that fucking sound configuration make my ear bleed... Hope it will not be a new standart to kill spectators ears !

But for me, in Interstellar, the sound was more than fine, I honestly almost cried when they are in the navets for 3 years and one of the astronauts says that what is killing him are those 15cm of metals between him and the deep void. Then Cooper give him his own k7, a "rainy storm mood music". That was really peaceful.

The spinning landing was also magical. I think that's what I liked in this movie : no bad plan, everything is just working fine, like a beautiful paiting there is no "stains". I hated batman 3 for its masochist scenario/story and was a bit afraid of a similar movie.

Interstellar is a great movie. The film speaks of more than just gravity and relativity, it also references quantum physics:

- Gravity in the theory of relativity works at a grand scale, even in small things like balls and molecules even smaller, until the quantum level where it breaks down.

Both theories independently work in experiments and practice, but not together. They can't coexist without a unified theory. Interstellar is about the discovery of the unified theory because the Gargantuan black hole crushes light with its own gravity to the point that relativity physics meets quantum physics, unification, and where the data is available to expand humanity's knowledge enough to save itself.

How does this answer the classic time question everyone raise? How can you go back in time to save yourself, if you can never get to the future in the first place? This is now in the realm of quantum physics, which suggests that every possible scenario exists up until the moment in time that the one path that actually happened is chosen (our universe that we experience). This is why quantum computing is so exciting. It should be able to quickly resolve every chess move to always win, or to predict weather exactly, etc.

So in the future, where humanity evolves by knowledge to be able to exist in 5 dimensions, we have learned how to resolve this classic time paradox. The film suggests we learn to mix scenarios, or cross not only times but universes to save ourselves. The parallel universe where we don't destroy our planet with global warming then makes it into the future to be able to save itself here. Funky Hollywood story telling meets the biggest astrophysics challenge of our time...

@Minos I don't mind the movie is about spirituality. You can have emotion without believing in god or [name your religion]. Read Gerald M. Edelman's book Bright Air, Brilliant Fire: On the Matter of the Mind. He killed religion and spirituality at the same time since 1992. The transcendence described by religion or fake spirituality experience belong a more complex system: Your brain.

TL;DR: Interstellar the movie where no ones understand anything but every ones seem to understand everything.

Ps: I'm fucking scared they don't use bitcoin in the future.  :lol:
Edited by Seldoon182

I was reading something interesting about

closed time loops and it explains how Cooper was able to change the past. This theory states that time flows in a circle and not an arrow. If that's the case we wouldn't notice that anyway because we would still experience time in a linear way.

Here's an analysis of the movie from this angle: http://www.nerdist.com/2014/11/rust-cohle-already-explained-the-ending-of-interstellar/

Just to explain what I mean by spirituality: Spirituality is a very tainted word these days and understandably shrugged by almost everyone who's scientific literate. But if you really understand what it means it has nothing to do with religion or a belief in a biblical god or anything like that. It doesn't contradict science and it doesn't contradict common sense.

My gripe with the current scientific paradigm is that it doesn't explain a simple question: What drives life? I find it hard to accept that my thoughts are just "random sparks of electricity" in my brain. To me it makes more sense that these sparks are commands by our mind converted into electrical signals that the body can understand. The idea is that the mind, your essence, drives the body. Simple idea and doesn't contradict what we know about the brain so far.

What drove the first molecules to group together? If you believe that given the ideal circumstances life will arise (the current paradigm) this implies a constant and not an accident. What drives this constant? Of course we don't have any data to prove that life is a constant or an accident, we might very well be the only ones in the universe until proven otherwise, but if it's indeed a constant then some force not yet understood must be driving it. And maybe our minds must be made of the same "force". Of course this is all philosophy and not science, but it's an idea that makes sense to me :)

What I think the movie did pretty well is to explain some of these "spiritual" concepts (which are in part corroborated by quantum physics experiments) in a clear and more scientific way. Some spiritual belief systems state that other layers of reality coexist with this one. The leading quantum physics theories state that the universe is a multiverse of realities. Same idea, different wording.

Anyways, it's pretty fucking awesome that a Hollywood flick is making people everywhere ask deep questions :)