Christopher Nolan‘s Interstellar

Seldoon182

Brilliant film, just got back from the cinema. The soundtrack was incredible, though it was a little hard to hear at times.

I liked your theory Minos :) But the whole 'love transcends time and space' thing was a bit soppy... I honestly wanted to laugh out loud at that bit, and I saw people turning to their partners/mates and smiling whilst rolling their eyes :P But yeah I get what they're going for.

We need more of these kinds of films! I absolutely loved the planet sections. I found that stuff really fascinating! Does anybody know if that world with the huge waves is a possibility? If the water was so shallow, how could it bunch up into those huge tidal waves? Also is there any evidence for the ice planets with no real landmass?

I saw that movie last night and fuck man this is something big. Im in love . . . .

I will go through this threat tomorrow but as for sound design in this movie - my friends had that problrm that in some points it was too loud, but as for me it was prefect between those tense moments and that sweet silence in space.

As for ending for me that was very straight forward stuff but im very curious about those theories some of you posted here before so I will try ti adress my point of view later tomorrow :)

Edited by knj

Does anybody know if that world with the huge waves is a possibility? If the water was so shallow, how could it bunch up into those huge tidal waves? Also is there any evidence for the ice planets with no real landmass?

According to this, the first question's answer is yes. Also makes sense since our oceans are always kept at it's outer 'radius' because of rotation and tidal movements because of the moon.

So went on my own Tuesday night after gym, to Kingsotn's IMAX. Premiere seats and perfectly centered.

The movie is not available in 3D right?

It's a beautiful movie, but I'd say also complicated one, I feel like I want to know more about the science behind… that I needed to know more before watching it. And I want to know more about what the hell happened to earth in that narrative world.

I dunno, I still can't really formulate an opinion of it, I feel sorta "stunned" by it, but at least is not like when I finished watching Inception when I said "no".

I think in terms of scifi I'd rate this below Moon… but friend of mine was commenting that the message of the movie is exactly to transcend science, so it's a different thing.

Edited by blackdog

So i finally saw it with friends, apparently i couldn't avoid it :D, well i'm glad because this was a decent movie, although i feel the urge to keep my honest opinion to myself to avoid a flow of hate on my face :P

However :

What's up with the only black character of the movie ? I can't remember his name, he waited alone 23 years on their spacecraft, studied th black hole in these 23 years for nothing because in the end it's the robot who collect the data, all that to die in a random explosion, and in the end he doesn't even have his name on the memorials of the new colonies. Seriously. Poor guy

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE3QI7BO2Y

So went on my own Tuesday night after gym, to Kingsotn's IMAX. Premiere seats and perfectly centered.

The movie is not available in 3D right?

It's a beautiful movie, but I'd say also complicated one, I feel like I want to know more about the science behind… that I needed to know more before watching it. And I want to know more about what the hell happened to earth in that narrative world.

I dunno, I still can't really formulate an opinion of it, I feel sorta "stunned" by it, but at least is not like when I finished watching Inception when I said "no".

I think in terms of scifi I'd rate this below Moon… but friend of mine was commenting that the message of the movie is exactly to transcend science, so it's a different thing.

This is a movie about space exploration and transcendence, the dying earth is just an excuse for the story :P Just like 2001 and other Nolan movies, you probably have to watch it more than once and read shit on the internet to fully understand all the small intricacies.

It reminds me of Neil Blomkampf talking about how you can make sci-fi movies in two different ways, science-driven or satire. The problem with doing science-driven movies is that people will be much more critical of the logic behind them. This in part was the reason why I couldn't enjoy Gravity, the errors in that one were too big for me to ignore them.

This is a movie about space exploration and transcendence, the dying earth is just an excuse for the story :P

I know, I'm not saying the movie should address that, I'd be happy to read a short story or see a short about it, just for added curiosity ;)

Just like 2001 and other Nolan movies, you probably have to watch it more than once and read shit on the internet to fully understand all the small intricacies.

Ye first I'll read rest of the topic and I'll see if you are pointing at anything in particular.

First of all I'll definitely watch the documentary that was posted few posts above.

Friend of mine said he read/heard about the entanglement, so "I can see science and feelings intertwine"… I haven't read any assay and being a convinced atheist I can't accept this phenomena until doing so, and anyway I'm not sure you need to give in such beliefs to appreciate the movie, I hope there can be a (pseudo)scientific explanation, otherwise it's just as fantastic as LOTR.

The problem with doing science-driven movies is that people will be much more critical of the logic behind them. This in part was the reason why I couldn't enjoy Gravity, the errors in that one were too big for me to ignore them.

I think that you can argue that Interstellar is a movie for the nerds, while Gravity for the masses; so to the ignorant like me was mere fun, you might think that something it's a bit off but you just give in and follow the quite tense rhythm of narration.

Interesting that quite comes from Blomkamp, since he has done science-action movies.

Edited by blackdog