• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So one of the (few) good things to come out of the VGX show was this. Really came out of nowhere, but it looks awesome. I love the 1950/60s comic book-esque style of some of the art. Also - Dune refer

Once the dust settles, I would love to hear Sean Murray's perspective including all the behind-the-scenes information (especially on their relationship with SONY) that explain the 60$ price tag, why f

Posted Images

Seeing lots of people talk about how the lesson from No Man's Sky should be to speak less about your game in development, which is frustrating. The problem isn't that they said too much (they did), but that they didn't tell people about how it was backpedaled before release. I doubt Sony would've let them give "bad" news, of course, but they could've done it implicitly with gameplay videos of the actual release version, instead of having people find these changes after buying the game and make scoops and controversies out of them.

Edited by Jetsetlemming

This is the first game I have refunded on Steam. If I never mine another rock in a videogame it will be too soon.

Although what I dislike more is everything surrounding the game. This game was massively over-hyped even from the first trailer, and I don't mean "over-hyped" as in not appropriate to No Man's Sky, but as in not appropriate to anything. Even if this was the most amazing game ever you needed to calm the hell down. And from there the frothing articles only continued and escalated - but now the same outlets and youtube gits are running articles about how it didn't deliver on what they essentially promised themselves.

There was also the nontroversy about the day-one patch, which was presented as some knee-jerk reaction to a couple of streamers rather than what is actually was: something they had been working on since they put the game gold. And the whole multiplayer thing where, yes he had made some comments to the positive, but they also said "it's not multiplayer" before it released. They certainly never promised the generic early-access survival game experience people seem to be expecting.

Arrgh.

Edited by Taylor

The Rock Paper Shotgun podcast Crate and Crowbar had a discussion wondering if it was because the game was tied to a big publisher like Sony that it was a non-EA, $60 product instead of the PC early access game it seems like it should be. The marketing push definitely seemed to be oriented around a big splash that was incompatible with beta testing allowing large groups of people significant play time before the official release.

The classic over hyping with fake gameplay trailers, because of the editor or because of the marketing team stupidity, more like shooting you in the foot if you want your studio to last, a bit better if you want to get the money of one single project and run :D

5 hours ago, dux said:

So, is the lead developer related to Peter Molyneux? :v 

Yes. Or he is up there at least, with him (Sean Murray) being extremely vague or straight up talking bullshit about features in the game. Like being asked about if you could meet other players, and the one of the answers was "you shouldn't think of this game as multiplayer". So all the people caught in the black hole generated by the hype machine interpreted this as you could indeed see other players but the chance being unlikely, when a simple "No" would have sufficed. Hell, stores had to put stickers on the retail copies in the last minute to clarify the game isn't multiplayer. That's how vague Sean was about it!

On 21-8-2016 at 4:03 PM, Taylor said:

This is the first game I have refunded on Steam. If I never mine another rock in a videogame it will be too soon.

Although what I dislike more is everything surrounding the game. This game was massively over-hyped even from the first trailer, and I don't mean "over-hyped" as in not appropriate to No Man's Sky, but as in not appropriate to anything. Even if this was the most amazing game ever you needed to calm the hell down. And from there the frothing articles only continued and escalated - but now the same outlets and youtube gits are running articles about how it didn't deliver on what they essentially promised themselves.

There was also the nontroversy about the day-one patch, which was presented as some knee-jerk reaction to a couple of streamers rather than what is actually was: something they had been working on since they put the game gold. And the whole multiplayer thing where, yes he had made some comments to the positive, but they also said "it's not multiplayer" before it released. They certainly never promised the generic early-access survival game experience people seem to be expecting.

Arrgh.

You gonna try Star Citizen? That game looks what NMS should have been....

On 8/21/2016 at 11:33 PM, Zyn said:

Like being asked about if you could meet other players, and the one of the answers was "you shouldn't think of this game as multiplayer". So all the people caught in the black hole generated by the hype machine interpreted this as you could indeed see other players but the chance being unlikely, when a simple "No" would have sufficed. 

His answer is pretty clear to me?

I really don't get the hate this game is getting... The game I'm playing is very close to all the trailers I've seen from it.

Look, here's how I see this whole deal, you start out with a vision, then when you execute you need to cut some content, so you can focus on the big picture and make your product a reality in a feasible amount of time. His only mistake was that in his naivete he exposed too much of his vision onto the public and he tainted the public's perception of what the game might be. Ultimately, it was the message delivery that was, let's say inexact or imprecise. The overhype didn't help either... I mean, They're a team of what, 15 dudes? 

The final product is still amazing, and I find it almost impossible for me to not respect it for what it does, which is a lot actually, first game of it's kind. Buggy as it might be, you have to at least give it that. I just hate seeing a person, or team, that devoted years of their life to try and make something cool being criticized and attacked by keyboard warriors all around the world.