No Man's Sky

I've been following this game for some time and I was very eager to play it. I expected that it would be a shallow game but I figured that the pure novelty of cruising from planet to planet would make it fun to goof around in.

It's definitely a flawed game and, moreover, a deeply flawed launch. But there's some... appeal to it. Can't quite put my finger on it. My gut feeling is definitely that it needed more love in the design department. Anyway, here's some screens from my first 4 hours.

cN5d8zg.png

OGHaLmp.png

TH6K6kD.png

n6muIWU.png

u9Hfb0u.jpg

It's quite an interesting situation with this game. On the one hand it's most likely a big financial success for such a small team and their first game, on the other hand with the mediocre reviews and user backlash it's gonna be a tricky situation for whatever their next project is.

I would say the best thing they could do is continue working on the game with some patches that add more gameplay and meaningful content and perhaps release an enhaced edition at some point.

2 minutes ago, dux said:

They have a solid base, it'd be silly not to add more to the game.

15 minutes ago, Steppenwolf said:

I would say the best thing they could do is continue working on the game with some patches that add more gameplay and meaningful content and perhaps release an enhaced edition at some point.

Word

1 hour ago, Steppenwolf said:

It's quite an interesting situation with this game. On the one hand it's most likely a big financial success for such a small team and their first game, on the other hand with the mediocre reviews and user backlash it's gonna be a tricky situation for whatever their next project is.

They made the "Joe Danger" games before this, but those were much smaller. :P

I'm enjoying this...The developer really needs to work on the 'macro' though. You should feel compelled to stay on planets/solar systems for an amount of time and there should be benefits to this.

Just now planets basically feel like Mario Bonus levels- get down, go to a couple points of interest + leave.

That's my real problem with the game right now- seems HelloGames has been focusing way too much on making everything huge and not much time on fleshing out player experience.

Also - They really need some sort of Validation or vetting on the generated aliens/animals. I've not seen a single one yet that wasn't hilarious.

Ouch, the game isn't really getting the best reviews. I'm having alot of fun with this so far, it reminds me of Subnautica or a sci-fi "The Long Dark" with a bit more content. Some sort of base building feature would fit this game perfectly imo, really hope they continue add content via updates (like every other game like this does).

Edited by nikkoship