Carmack officially leaves iD

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I've not really seen id as being particularly relevant for a long, long time. Sure they had huge impact with Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake — and the pre-2000 engines of those games were a huge th

good to see some high profile people behind the rift, I'm definitely more excited he's behind this than another graphics engine, we have enough of those already.    who knows, maybe in 5 years or so

Feels so weird..

This is a pretty interesting article in which Carmack talks about him leaving iD. In short, he wanted to make iD titles compatible with Oculus but Zenimax wouldn't have it and that's why he left. He strongly believes in the future of VR.

"But they couldn't come together on that which made me really sad. It was just unfortunate," Carmack says. "When it became clear that I wasn't going to have the opportunity to do any work on VR while at id software, I decided to not renew my contract.

I finally had the chance to try Oculus Rift two days ago and got very, very impressed with it. I tested the classics rollercoaster, which had a great sense of depth, but wasn't as exciting as a real one (maybe I watched too many reaction videos and it affected mine); Tuscany, which was beautiful but gave me motion sickness after a while; and a Universe exploration, which was the best one that I tried, as it showed the solar system in real scale. Fucking amazing! We are so insignificant. Ridiculous :)

Now, when I remember that at the moment the Great God is part of the team behind Oculus, I have no option but to wet my pants in excitement for what is to come in the near future.

Hail Carmack!

• 2 months later...

Wow, call it naive but I really didn't see this one coming:

Zenimax accuses Carmack of stealing Oculus

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/461676/zenimax-accuses-carmack-of-stealing-oculus-rift-tech/

According to documents obtained by 

The Wall Street Journal, lawyers for Zenimax Media sent claims to Oculus VR, stating "it was only through the concerted efforts of Mr. Carmack, using technology developed over many years at, and owned by, ZeniMax, that [Oculus founder] Mr. Luckey was able to transform his garage-based pipe dream into a working reality."

I can't think of anything they've done for about 13 years that's really had much of an effect on the community or industry. Doom 3 didn't do much for me even if it was a decent game, and Rage failed to draw me in beyond its technology too. The engines of those games haven't taken off either.

I 100% agree with everything you mentioned in your post Thrik. However Doom 3 if I recall was the game to bring on normal mapping out as a standard feature. Now granted this was something that was likely to happen anyway Doom 3 turned it into a next gen must have feature for every game to follow. It had a pretty big impact from what I remember.

So predictable.

Why? If they had a problem with him working on it why let him work there part time? Why let him quit and work there fulltime? But no, now there's money involved and bam, within a month they sue them.

my dream of playing skyrim with an oculus rift.. shattered  :(.

Nah Peri, it's just money grabbing, they got nothing!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/462044/oculus-claims-rift-uses-no-zenimax-tech/

The Facebook-owned VR firm sent out a brief update to the media on Monday, saying "we are disappointed but not surprised by Zenimax's actions and we will prove that all of its claims are false."Zenimax claimed that Oculus CTO John Carmack stole Zenimax property to use on the Rift while he was still employed at Id Software. The source code for Oculus Rift is fully available online, Oculus noted, but Zenimax has yet to specifically identify any stolen code or technology. Carmack himself claimed that "Oculus uses zero lines of code that I wrote while under contract to Zenimax."

While Zenimax claims that Oculus founder Palmer Luckey "acknowledged in writing Zenimax's legal ownership of this intellectual property", Oculus shot back that "Zenimax has misstated the purposes and language of the Zenimax non-disclosure agreement that Palmer Luckey signed".Oculus added that Carmack left Id in large part because owner Zenimax prevented him from working on virtual reality projects. Zenimax canceled plans for VR support in Doom 3 BFG Edition when Oculus refused to give Zenimax a non-dilutable equity stake in the company, Oculus claimed.

Oculus also noted the timing of Zenimax's legal attack, a little over a month since Facebook acquired the company for $2 billion: "Zenimax did not pursue claims against Oculus for IP or technology, Zenimax has never contributed any IP or technology to Oculus, and only after the Facebook deal was announced has Zenimax now made these claims through its lawyers."