Sign in to follow this  
Dennispls

World of Warcraft : Warlords of Draenor

Alright I am officially stoked about the upcoming expansion. I would love to know more of the old Dreanor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4uga6ahFs

Also they will revamp the older player characters 

Warlords-Draenor-Dwarf.jpg

Very very cool in my opinion. How do you feel about this new Expansion?

Discuss.

Edited by Dennispls

As cool as Wow is, its a dead horse. Warcraft needs to move on...either a new good Warcraft game, or an Action Adventure, or even just a Wow 2. Something fresh/er.

Most of my friends are drooling over this, so its not a dead horse just yet.

I didn't play mop, so I'll probably stay far away from this as well..

@Dark : Why does World of Warcraft need to move on? The story is interesting and the world is just so rich that i'm constantly coming back for more with every expansion. What should WoW 2.0 look like in your opinion (both in graphics and gameplay)? 
As for a new Warcraft RTS, that would be cool. I think that Blizz has their hands full with Starcraft though to make this happen.

@Skjalg : MoP was not bad but not great either so you did not miss a whole lot. The new expansion seems to be more interesting on many levels. Only problem is you need MoP in order to play WoD.

Funnily enough me and my friends have just gone back to WoW after not playing it for 3 years. It had nothing to do with the expansion though, we just felt like getting back in to it. About 8 of us just rolled new characters on a new PvP server and we're starting from scratch.

Expansion looks pretty cool though, WoW was feeling very dated compared to most modern MMOs, it's a good job they've updated the character models.

Yeah the new character models will definately add a lot in my opinion. They did look dated (in terms of polygons and texture).
I must say though that all the other Next Gen MMO's blend into eachother. Tera, AION etc all look the same and for some reason the world just doesn't grip me as the world in WoW does.

@Dark : Why does World of Warcraft need to move on? The story is interesting and the world is just so rich that i'm constantly coming back for more with every expansion. What should WoW 2.0 look like in your opinion (both in graphics and gameplay)? 

As for a new Warcraft RTS, that would be cool. I think that Blizz has their hands full with Starcraft though to make this happen.

@Skjalg : MoP was not bad but not great either so you did not miss a whole lot. The new expansion seems to be more interesting on many levels. Only problem is you need MoP in order to play WoD.

Tbh, I just wanted to get your thread moving and I don't actually think its a dead. I do wish Blizzard would do something new with the Warcraft brand is all.

Edited by Dark

I used to be really hardcore into WoW during Vanilla and was probably the most decked out warlock on our server when TBC released. I also played on the US servers before the EU release and killed Ragnaros 35th in the world or something at 4am. I completely crashed during TBC because it basically removed all of my progress day one (I found about ten upgrades for my Plagueheart shoulders before I finally replaced them) and coincided with me getting a job I liked and generally becoming less of a loser.

I didn't even level my Warlock to 70 during TBC, at 68 rolled a rogue who was 100% PvP welfare gear, and when WotLK was announced I stopped playing. During all of this I was also playing with some old college friends and people we met through Diablo 2, and during Cataclysm we all came back and I played a Priest. I have a lot of problems with Cataclysm and I think most of them are summed up by this post on reddit. Someone linked it to me basically saying "this guy is you."

http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/1r4jbg/vanilla_wow_20042005_memories_and_good_times/cdjoq9z?context=1

My biggest problem with modern WoW is there's no sense of community at all, the people you play with you'll never see again, and the world is dead because everyone is sitting in a main town queuing.

I would also add to this that I hate the way PvP evolved. The original PvP system in WoW, that is to say NO PVP SYSTEM, was a lot more fun, more relevant to the lore, and made you remember people on your server on the opposite side. It was a tenuous pact, this means some people are indifferent or even sympathisers. There was no reason to actually attack someone you saw because there was no reward for doing so, and so being attacked was a lot more powerful and personal.

I also want to talk about the end-game and classes merging together but I'll resist.

None of these are bad choices, I see the logic behind them all, and I don't think it's a bad game, but it's a completely different direction than I would like. I've always thought the social and drama side of MMO's was the real meat of the experience whereas Blizzard have been trying hard to stamp this out since arguably TBC and definitely WotLK. 

Didn't play MoP. If my friends want to play this my arm could be easily twisted. New models look nice.

Very valid points Taylor. I started during Wrath of the Lich King so I was spoiled from the get go.
I do see the X-realm issues though when it comes to playing with people you will never encounter again.
What I do like ( and this is more for players without a lot of time to spend raiding) is the Looking for raid stuff. It gives you a taste of the content you wouldn't be able to see if you are not playing in a guild. My gripe with this is that it is way too simple.

Anyway lets get back on topic and share your thoughts on the upcoming expansion. Will it make you come back to WoW if you left? What changes in the upcoming expansion do you fancy and which you do not?

Edited by Dennispls

I played a lot of Vanilla WoW back in the day but stopped at TBC. Never maxed a character to 60 back then either, I kept getting bored with the lifeless static world, even though it was fun to explore and see the artistic style (I like the style in WoW and just in WoW) but it all felt so dead with little atmosphere to it. I was coming off of a long Ultima Online addiction and that thing is atmosphere and life beyond anything I've found in an MMO since. Even Anarchy Online outdid WoW in drawing me in.

Little things that could of helped a lot for me in enjoying the world I played in:

Dynamic weather

Environment sounds, I rarely heard any

More wildlife other than just mobs

More interactivity with the world

Just more reasons to be out in the world doing stuff other than sitting around queuing for an instance or something

In Ultima all these combined into something really awesome. I'd be up a mountain mining and it would start raining and the sound effects would kick in and it was awesome sauce. Or I'd be in a forest cutting wood in the north of the world and it would start getting dark and snowing, I'd make a campfire for the night and a troll or ent would stumble across into my little camp and I'd have to axe his face off. Was like playing a book. WoW would of kept me interested a lot more if it could of absorbed me into the world better.

Duskwood and Stranglethorn Vale I liked a lot, though. They were the closest WoW got to being something memorable for me.

I think WoW leaves a lot to be desired compared to modern MMOs. I find that what WoW does really well is the lore, balancing and animations. The art style was nice but as I mentioned is now feeling dated.

I've been trying a few modern MMOs out lately, RIFT being probably one of the better ones as it's free to play and aside from the animations and some of the combat it feels really well made. there's also so much to do in RIFT while not questing.

I don't really want to go in to detail as I'll be here forever, but WoW lacks a lot of features modern MMOs have and I think Blizzard have started playing catch up in some respects.