knj

Uncharted 4

Gorgeous game. Playing it with my partner watching. Sort of like the summer blockbuster movie of video games.

Gameplay is ok. Not very deep or anything. 

I think ultimately I prefer Until Dawn since it was gorgeous but since they didn't even really attempt to push any real combat gameplay the story was a lot more gripping. We played it in a single 7 hour session. It feels like Uncharted might be on the line between third person action game and story driven game and therefore isn't excelling at either one. Ultimately it's still gorgeous though!

This game is absolutely god damned spendid. I'm glad that I chose to take it slowly and savour it an hour or two at a time, which I've been doing since it came out. It feels more epic to me than just burning through it in a few days.

I've also been really enjoying taking my time going through the environments and capturing nice screenshots using the photo feature. Like in real life, it can be a really good way of appreciating what's there by thinking about what'd capture the essence of the scene best in pictorial form.

The action is just total crazy awesomeness too, but I love that this game has more quiet moments inbetween to break things up. It feels like the game has more exploration and puzzles than its predecessors. I also really like the pirate lore story, being a fan of all things pirates. :-D 

Here are some of my 'photos'. :D 

3UpX2wa.jpg

Ab2HWF1.jpg

S47fLcJ.jpg

nYofL3e.jpg

bZZb6K5.jpg

TUwvhLM.jpg

I broke the share button on my controller. I kept yelling 'look at this magnificent art' even though there was no one around. I kept waking up at night from doing the Tarzan yell in my sleep due to all that grappling. I annoyed my wife because after every 5 minutes of playing I was again yelling 'you have to come and see this'. Other nights I woke up in total disbelieve 'it's in-game!', 'It's really in-fucking-game!'.

It is a phenomenal game with a perfect ending. An ending that still resonates with me days after I finished it. It's by far the best series I've ever played and all those Uncharted 3 haters can suck it. I immediately bought The Nathan Drake Collection even though I already own all of them. I'm even thinking of getting a Vita for The Golden Abyss. 

Here's a really good article about why the ending works so well. 

Bought this from a colleague yesterday for 15 quid.

After the huge 12 gig patch I did the first part of the story and already messed with the photo mode. This game is stunning.

Almost finished Uncharted 4 after a long break from it. 

Anyway, wanted to ask about Uncharted 2 - specifically the train scene. (Didn't want to bump the 8 year old thread for U2 though!)

I was talking with a colleague about the level in U2 where you're on top of a moving train and I remember reading an article or watching a video about how they made it and wanted to read it again. I remember it discussing how the loop was made for the train to drive around and how they had multiple exits for the following scene? I'm pretty sure it was posted here and that's where I saw it but I couldn't find it in the U2 thread. Anybody got any links to it? 

8 hours ago, Beck said:

Almost finished Uncharted 4 after a long break from it. 

Anyway, wanted to ask about Uncharted 2 - specifically the train scene. (Didn't want to bump the 8 year old thread for U2 though!)

I was talking with a colleague about the level in U2 where you're on top of a moving train and I remember reading an article or watching a video about how they made it and wanted to read it again. I remember it discussing how the loop was made for the train to drive around and how they had multiple exits for the following scene? I'm pretty sure it was posted here and that's where I saw it but I couldn't find it in the U2 thread. Anybody got any links to it? 

Never read/watched it, but maybe it's one of these articles?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-among-friends-how-naughty-dog-built-uncharted-2

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99074-Naughty-Dog-Says-Train-Level-Almost-Broke-Uncharted-2

It must have been the Eurogamer one. I did skim over it before posting here but it didn't seem to be the one I was looking for. Just gave it a proper read and it did cover most of what I remembered. I thought I saw a video though and it actually showed the loop they created for the train to take. I guess I made it up in my head since it's been a long time!

Thanks anyway!

Just finished Lost Legacy, starts off a little slow but give it a chance to pick up. Some of the action sequences they've managed to pull off are pretty mind-blowing, even after playing UC4. As you probably guessed, the environments are still some of the prettiest you can see on the PS4. They've also got this cool mini open world section that plays really well with their sorta "guerilla" stealth system. Lots of fun tactics you can come up with, feels maybe a little more replayable than UC4 in that sense. Definitely worth checking out, it's a good time :D

Edited by nikkoship

Uncharted 4 has to be one of the best games I've ever played. I don't know how Naughty Dog makes these worlds so damn immersive. Sometimes I was happy to just sit there with the game open while I savoured a cup of tea, watching and listening to the waves lapping away at the shore and it like I've got a window in my living room to a real lost island.

I have weird feelings about Lost Legacy. I'm so looking forward to playing it, but it's like I haven't waited long enough since my last Uncharted fix and I need to give it some more months at least so I can reward myself after the wait. It's a bit like how if Half-Life 3 had come out only a year after Half-Life 2 — nobody would have gave a crap.

Who am I kidding, it'd have been lapped up like the frosting on a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

Lost Legacy looks amazing, it's worth playing just to check out the environment art and experience the really well thought out level design.

That said, it's no where near as good as U4. Even U3 is a better game, and it's regarded as ND's worst by many. Lost Legacy's pace is all over the place, the writing is weird and convoluted, and the directing could also benefit from a better flow. Even the art direction is a bit off, the color code and mood of the environment doesn't always necessarily reflect what's going on with the story, and that used to be something that ND always worked on to perfection. (Something companies like Pixar always excel at with their movies)

Also, the relationship between the two main protagonists feel extremly unnatural, the dialog just felt uncanny in many instances, at least to me. But again, it's still worth picking it up for everything else this games does right.

3 hours ago, [HP] said:

Lost Legacy looks amazing, it's worth playing just to check out the environment art and experience the really well thought out level design.

That said, it's no where near as good as U4. Even U3 is a better game, and it's regarded as ND's worst by many. Lost Legacy's pace is all over the place, the writing is weird and convoluted, and the directing could also benefit from a better flow. Even the art direction is a bit off, the color code and mood of the environment doesn't always necessarily reflect what's going on with the story, and that used to be something that ND always worked on to perfection. (Something companies like Pixar always excel at with their movies)

Also, the relationship between the two main protagonists feel extremly unnatural, the dialog just felt uncanny in many instances, at least to me. But again, it's still worth picking it up for everything else this games does right.

Agreed on the story stuff. It doesn't have the same layering that UC4 did. Maybe that's because Druckmann wasn't on the project, but also I think the choices for the characters are maybe a little strange for a small standalone. We just haven't spent enough time with Chloe or Nadine to really care about them, and the backstories that they tried to develop to get us more involved felt a little bit forced maybe? Those heartfelt moments that UC4 had like Nate and Elena having dinner on the couch just couldn't happen with these characters in such a short experience. In a longer game, they definitely could've fleshed it out more (similar to how they did with Sam in UC4). I think that was a key thing that made UC4 story work, we've lived with Nate, Sully and Elena for so long. Their relationships are complex and layered, just like relationships in real life. Naughty Dog took their time to explore those complexities. Would've been cool to see something with someone more familiar like Sam or Sully even, maybe getting to experience Sully's younger days.

However I think the level design and combat encounters were the high points, especially towards the end. I think I was better at the game this time around, and knew how to break line of sight properly to go in and out of stealth. It also feels like they did a better job of designing the arenas around their "guerilla" stealth system better this time around. They basically took concepts from UC4 and pushed them just a little bit further. I loved the open world segment, felt like a great way to explore a Naughty Dog world. Hopefully they continue with that open-ended level design in TLoU part 2, super excited to see what they could come up with.

Edited by nikkoship

On 9/21/2017 at 3:11 AM, nikkoship said:

However I think the level design and combat encounters were the high points, especially towards the end. I think I was better at the game this time around, and knew how to break line of sight properly to go in and out of stealth. It also feels like they did a better job of designing the arenas around their "guerilla" stealth system better this time around. They basically took concepts from UC4 and pushed them just a little bit further. I loved the open world segment, felt like a great way to explore a Naughty Dog world. Hopefully they continue with that open-ended level design in TLoU part 2, super excited to see what they could come up with.

Fully agree regarding the open world segment. I love stealth tactics, and this game gave me so much more options how to engage with the enemies. It's noticeable that this is only a year long side project, but the way they've been able to expand upon the Madagascar level's foundation is really exciting.

I'm already drooling over the possibilities they have while building TLoU 2.