Hourences

Announcing my new game - Solus - Survival/Exploration - Unreal Engine 4

Thanks Sprony for setting it up!

The summer sales helped quite ok. It gave us 2x the sales our actual release did about. We now reached our minimum expected revenue point so with a bit of luck we can push this up further over the coming 6 months to a medium good result. Big question is always how stable the sales are longer term.

250 000 people now have it on their wishlist, which is a pretty considerable number, so lots of people have seen the game now and are interested, but are still waiting. We are not quite sure if it is due to VR, or non VR. Hard to track that on Steam.

We are going to be building a free DLC level, for which I will invite people from the community and give you the entire game in UE4 to build with. I will post a proper post later but if anyone is interested in building a room with our assets and all let me know.

On 16-7-2016 at 3:51 PM, Hourences said:

Thanks Sprony for setting it up!

The summer sales helped quite ok. It gave us 2x the sales our actual release did about. We now reached our minimum expected revenue point so with a bit of luck we can push this up further over the coming 6 months to a medium good result. Big question is always how stable the sales are longer term.

250 000 people now have it on their wishlist, which is a pretty considerable number, so lots of people have seen the game now and are interested, but are still waiting. We are not quite sure if it is due to VR, or non VR. Hard to track that on Steam.

We are going to be building a free DLC level, for which I will invite people from the community and give you the entire game in UE4 to build with. I will post a proper post later but if anyone is interested in building a room with our assets and all let me know.

You're welcome!

When the times comes for the DLC level, please start a new thread in our 3D forum and let me know. I'll make it a spotlight feature so that it has maximum exposure.

So I finished the game the other week, honestly it does some things very well but other things quite poorly.

Spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

Pros

• The audio is excellent, spine chilling and keeps you on your feet even given one of the cons.
  • World was interesting and the story was well revealed to the player
  • Creepy events were good like the little children things and the head turning skeletons.

Cons

• The game was too long tbh, Took me 12 hours to complete and considering there isn't much going on that is far too long.
  • The tower level didn't really act like a hub which is what I was expecting, was expecting to have to setup camp and come back often, never did, its essentially linear felt like a missed opportunity. Could of saved a lot of environment creation.
  • Even though the audio made me feel in danger a lot I really never was in much danger. Literally just the orbs which I encountered 3 times I think.
  • Too much free food and water safe points for dehydration or starvation to ever be an issue or require me to carry much at all. I think I carried a emergency ration through nearly the whole game.
  • Having the torch as an item and not an on/off item is honestly annoying as hell. Having to put the torch away to drop a rock on a button is not something I should be doing. I really didn't feel it served a purpose.
  • The text translation thing became tiring fast, I like the idea but it should of started at the beginning of the text and not required me to wait 3 seconds before I can even start reading, considering there are something like 500 signs that's 25 mins of waiting for text to translate so I can even start reading it. No thanks, I basically skipped most of the dialogue after the first 2-3 hours.
  • Secrets seemed very random, I probably found about 1/3 of them, but found the green invincibility skull pretty easily. Meaning I didn't level up many perks and even if you did it didn't feel like they really helped much.
  • Chests really didn't seem like they added anything considering you could only get a heal item or food from them.