Announcing my new game - Solus - Survival/Exploration - Unreal Engine 4

Hourences

It is partially inside as I see no other way of doing this. The planets are gigantic in size. One planet is the size of the entire available building space in UE3, and orbits the middle of the level. The space beyond that is even larger. There are no skybox'es or such.

Wouldn't it be a question of simply shading it differently rather than attempting to put it at a far distance? It definitely sounds like there's a tech hack buried somewhere that could help out with that...

Wasn't this why 3d skybox was invented in the first place?

It is partially inside as I see no other way of doing this. The planets are gigantic in size. One planet is the size of the entire available building space in UE3, and orbits the middle of the level. The space beyond that is even larger. There are no skybox'es or such.

Wouldn't it be a question of simply shading it differently rather than attempting to put it at a far distance? It definitely sounds like there's a tech hack buried somewhere that could help out with that...

If you put it closer, then you'd see it move when you strafe. The horizon shouldn't move, so it needs to far enough away for it to create the illusion of depth.

I could have possibly colored the cloud layer in order to make the planet appear behind the atmosphere, or just color the actual planets, but the look I have here is part of what I am after.

Fps yes of course :)

Would love to get it going with Oculus also. Ordered one, lets hope it works out well.

Thanks again people!

Edited by Hourences

Me too. Damn, it's badass! 

I gotta agree with the points about the planets though, they feel a bit weird. And something about the castle/ruin seems really odd too, can't place my finger on it though. I kinda hoped you were gonna go down the completely desolate look, but maybe this could work too!

Wasn't this why 3d skybox was invented in the first place?

UE3+ lacks portal rendering, which is required to render portal skies. I've seen a tutorial that mimics skybox in UE3 by means of cube map if IRC.