Craig Crawford - Game Designer/Modeler

Obseneus

To be constructive, it's good that as a level designer you have an interest in 3D modelling, this is a big advantage when applying for jobs. Currently your portfolio doesn't show how your 3D is relevant to level design and actually suggests you're not sure which path you'd like to choose.

If your heart is set on level/game design you should create some simple models yourself to use in your levels rather than use stock assets or assets provided by other people, this will show a much better understanding of the level design process. It's great you're learning unity though, that's a good place to start.

It's good you've included examples of your games, however some of the web demos take quite a long time to load (could be my shitty internet though). In your rogue robots video it strikes me as a bit weird the robots are shooting at you and you're not taking any damage.

And the second half of the video when you're in the long corridor, try to vary the gameplay a bit here, it's a bit dull walking in a straight line down a corridor and killing enemy after enemy in exactly the same way. Add some cover for the player for example.

Another thing I noticed is that there's no information about you as a person or your education and background with regard to game development. This would be a good thing to include as it indicates what level you're studying at.

I have no idea what Adobe Muse is or how it's relevant to game development.

Thanks for the feedback Jord!! Adobe Muse is a fairly new Adobe product that helps create websites and the relevance to game development would be that it shows I can design my own individuality without using templates. :cool:  

Vilham, I realize that templates are easy to use and easy to build a website with but that would not be my personality nor my design. Why would a designer use someone else's design? Question for you, Ailham, Is the layout clean and the fonts easy to read?? I guess my understand of why you think the website is dated is not clear!  :???: No hard feelings!!  

Back to Jord - Well the Rogue Robots game was my first game that I created on my own and I'm currently making assets for another game, but the process is long and that is the reason I used assets from Unity Store to save some time. I'm really not sure what it takes to get my "first career opportunity", but if it really takes creating my own assets for my own game then that process has started. Thanks that gives me something to think about. :-D  I have read tons of articles giving people advice for level design and most of them say to use already made assets such as with sandboxes and games that come with assets. But I rarely see a playable level on people's portfolios trying to be level designers just pictures. Does this aspect give me a step up that I actually have a playable level readily available?

I'm unsure why the robots do no harm. I programmed them to hurt me, but maybe the hit points are to high for the robot. I will check on that.

Actually the point you made about the hallway was kind of how I feel, but my programming skills are at a minimum and the character didn't have animations for dodging or rolling. What I'm trying to say is that the mission scripting was the focus for me on that part of the game.

Thanks again to both of you for commenting!!

What kind of projects did you guys have complete before you got your first work experience in the game industry? Or what types of projects got you employed?

http://crawford3d.businesscatalyst.com/index.html

When checking portfolios people don't care about your personality, they want to see your work. A template provides a layout that is normally incredibly easy to keep up to date, looks pleasing to the eye (sites such as carbonmade have to ensure their layouts look good and modern). The shapes (bubble shapes), the spacing (headings aren't central/percentage spaced) and the fonts (there are 4 different fonts on the home page) all look dated in my opinion.

Modern sites are very simple when it comes to colours, fonts, etc.

for example: http://freddiepitcher.com/

That site looks nice because it has consistent text, simple flat colours, clearly defined spacing.

http://www.drspudmods.com/

again, simple colours, consistent text, nice spacing.

Edited by Vilham

Sure but here is a article that negates the first one from being a good style. http://astheria.com/design/my-last-portfolio-sucked-yours-might-too under "72% used thumbnails that forced me to view a larger image". Not saying that I don't like the material on the first one, but everything that I read when preparing a website for Human Resource Department to view goes against that site layout. That site might be a good website for people that have time to look at the site, but I keep having to click on thumbnail, page back, click on thumbnail, page back!! As a viewer I lost the urge to look at the site. Black backgrounds make my eyes hurt!! 

And the second has many fonts as well but thanks I well look into the issue!!!  

Here is another website that has some portfolio guidelines that your examples break!! http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/03/04/creating-a-successful-online-portfolio/

I understand your point better now!! I can see we have different design styles and I appreciate your input!!  Good Day!!

http://crawford3d.businesscatalyst.com/index.html

If you want into the games industry you need to decide on a career path, either Level Design or art, they involve totally different skill sets (understanding the other discipline always helps though). Even though its good that you managed to finish several projects neither rogue robots or wrath of hades demonstrated much understand of key level design principles. Ideally create some single or multiplayer maps for established titles or by joining a mod team. The first 10 or so maps generally aren't worth showing as they will be what teach you what works and what doesn't. This industry is incredibly competitive to enter these days and your work really has to shin which requires lots of practice and lots of failed attempts.

Really, if you want to be in games development, drop web design from your portfolio website. You need to focus on the career path you want to take and make sure your portfolio is focused. Next as Vilham said, choose either 3D or level design and focus on that. 

Trust me though, your web development skills are completely irrelevant in game development.

What kind of projects did you guys have complete before you got your first work experience in the game industry? Or what types of projects got you employed?

I landed my first job at Codemasters by doing QA for them and then applying internally for a junior level designer role using a Trackmania track.

Vilham has some great advice with joining a mod team or creating a map for an already established franchise such as Counterstrike Source. Many of the people who now have very successful careers are large development studios started off that way.