General Vivi

CS:GO Workshop: Weapon Finishes

Does anyone know if when a skin is purchased from the marketplace, is an actual .vtf downloaded locally? I bought a Negev skin recently and wanted to see how the creator altered the existing skin. The way the Negev was unwrapped is batshit and split in the weirdest ways, and I was hoping looking at someone else's custom skin would save me some grief.

I have a question. Below is a 3D image of an AWP I made in Photoshop. There it looks good, but then when I make it a VTF file and view in Steam's Workbench it looks like complete shit (also image below). It's like all the colors were drained and even in Factory New it looks pretty torn up. Am I missing something? Maybe forgot something in VTFEdit or some option in the worksbench?

18ac06881ce397dcc7d5fca74d52084f.png

39b0df078a8ccba5bdb5720175e9f76f.png

The wear off can be altered from alpha-channel (see the CSGO's Workshop Weapon tutorial for that). The shitty colors is because of the default values for phong-shader. Tweak the "phongexponent" and "phongintensity" to some lower values.

I have a question. Below is a 3D image of an AWP I made in Photoshop. There it looks good, but then when I make it a VTF file and view in Steam's Workbench it looks like complete shit (also image below). It's like all the colors were drained and even in Factory New it looks pretty torn up. Am I missing something? Maybe forgot something in VTFEdit or some option in the worksbench?

18ac06881ce397dcc7d5fca74d52084f.png

39b0df078a8ccba5bdb5720175e9f76f.png

The wear off can be altered from alpha-channel (see the CSGO's Workshop Weapon tutorial for that). The shitty colors is because of the default values for phong-shader. Tweak the "phongexponent" and "phongintensity" to some lower values.

Thanks for the info, I'll look it up. EDIT: Mixed with the Alpha Channel and the phong settings and it looks perfect now thanks a lot.

Edited by Gocko

Working on this one, still needs more detail work and I need to figure out how to get the full skin (think P90 Asiimov) without the stock bits like the magazine carrying over from the default skin.

UNGIHfE.png

I also might need to mess with the Phong settings because it looks very glossy, especially in the butt/stock and the front grip. It should be more flat/matte, I feel.

EDIT: 

OK, took me several tries but I finally figured out how to work the alpha channel to make sure the bits Valve wants to be 100% worn, starting even at Factory New condition, actually show up. I need to finish up the rest of the gun now. Some bits feel really empty and look bland compared to the rest of the gun, mainly the magazine and the cocking knob. Here's my current WIP from tonight.

PWgV6G3.jpg

Edited by soultron

Just finished this one recently. The serrated look of the SCAR inspired the metallic snake spine.

I published it last night but then the workshop was down a few minutes later and stayed down for the next 12 hours, burying this item in the back of the browsing list.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=358710610

6orv6PR.jpg

Edited by Patrick_H

That's cool is that a patina? My only issue is that it makes the handle look like its part of a 'replica gun'...but its not too big an issue, I still like it.

I deleted the SCAR from the workshop, I think I need more work on it then will re-release it. Also, the SCAR doesn't seem to be a popular weapon.

Edited by Patrick_H

^^^ :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: 

Very nice work, Mind! I love the fact that you modeled a carrying case for your M4 to sit in!

I feel... silly posting my first skin, having to follow your post!

I'm still getting used to 3D, as my main skill is level design, but this was my first go at finishing a full skin and going through the process of finalizing, submitting, and prepping my Workshop page for it. Learned a lot. Can't wait to go full-on with my next skin.

M4A4 | Verde Technical

98A8008C4F0CD467F2D759358D5723BC482CF686439F080D9D8B8B7128A85918AD6D1E5EC35D10557D29F27E3FBA639B189BD4360C2A2C40E5584C9D

Nice work Mind! To get that kind of detail on a custom skin style, did you export the entire weapon model and then paint on 3d layer in Photoshop (or similar)?

For my first skins I just converted a VTF skin to Targa and painted on it, but I am seeing that is rather limited- especially when I saw how terrible some of the unwrapping was on some weapons.

Big congrats to SA! His G18 made it into the new Chroma case!

Here's my current WIP. Trying to go for more of a WipEout style (might do a plain and then a "sponsored" livery version complete with fake company logos, like a race car livery) but it's looking very Asiimov right now.

Very rough, just playing around with placement, colour palette, some basic graphics/decals for now.

U5k3Suq.png

Edited by soultron

Thanks guys for your comments,

I'm not using particular technics, i just used the materials on this page: http://blog.counter-strike.net/workshop/resources.html

I'm using photoshop for the 3D preview and i work directly on the UVsheet.

Congrats SA for your G18 by the way =)

On my side i just released my AWP and i can say it is pretty well rated !!

8F416663587845E26CD825CF602F3D309488D9AC

923D729AA49A1335C9765C51D9B0B5304BF060FE

You can see the full workshop page here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=372557668&tscn=1420922968

More to come really soon!