General Vivi

CS:GO Workshop: Weapon Finishes

This is awesome stuff guys. I will have to give this a go as well (no pun intended). Vivi recommended I try it about a year ago, so its about time. Hopefully help people forget about the pre-Dreamhack scandal!

One thing I was wondering- if I want the high detail and accuracy of a custom paint job, but want to include a nice specular aspect (phong?) like the anodized finish, how would I go about doing that? It seems like most of the custom paint jobs look rather matte finish. I couldn't figure that out from the Valve guide.

Edited by Patrick_H

This is awesome stuff guys. I will have to give this a go as well (no pun intended). Vivi recommended I try it about a year ago, so its about time. Hopefully help people forget about the pre-Dreamhack scandal!

One thing I was wondering- if I want the high detail and accuracy of a custom paint job, but want to include a nice specular aspect (phong?) like the anodized finish, how would I go about doing that? It seems like most of the custom paint jobs look rather matte finish. I couldn't figure that out from the Valve guide.

You can give the Anodized Airbrush style a go.

Edit: Tested it out and here is the same pattern with the Phong Boost at 32 and also off. :)

27DB74A1FA5823A8E92F9A2230B6D0A17B12BB7C238484B0551C20FF8B66CAF4383598E8A06958E1

Edited by OneShotAnth

Thanks maybe I will mess around with that. Here is a WIP shot of a style I am trying out:

qwr0XJg.jpg

Not sure if I want to add anything to the muzzle or grip. Ideas anyone?

Edited by Patrick_H

I have a question. Below is a 3D image of an AWP I made in Photoshop. There it looks good, but then when I make it a VTF file and view in Steam's Workbench it looks like complete shit (also image below). It's like all the colors were drained and even in Factory New it looks pretty torn up. Am I missing something? Maybe forgot something in VTFEdit or some option in the worksbench?

18ac06881ce397dcc7d5fca74d52084f.png

39b0df078a8ccba5bdb5720175e9f76f.png

Edited by Gocko

I see some weathering on the rifle below the scope. Maybe some combination of the alpha channel in your VTF file allowing some wear. I know its weird since I see wear is set to zero, but might want to have a look at the alpha. On my CZ skin above, I had to erase a lot of the alpha masking on the barrel to tone down the amount of wear that would show through.

Does anyone know if when a skin is purchased from the marketplace, is an actual .vtf downloaded locally? I bought a Negev skin recently and wanted to see how the creator altered the existing skin. The way the Negev was unwrapped is batshit and split in the weirdest ways, and I was hoping looking at someone else's custom skin would save me some grief.

I have a question. Below is a 3D image of an AWP I made in Photoshop. There it looks good, but then when I make it a VTF file and view in Steam's Workbench it looks like complete shit (also image below). It's like all the colors were drained and even in Factory New it looks pretty torn up. Am I missing something? Maybe forgot something in VTFEdit or some option in the worksbench?

The wear off can be altered from alpha-channel (see the CSGO's Workshop Weapon tutorial for that). The shitty colors is because of the default values for phong-shader. Tweak the "phongexponent" and "phongintensity" to some lower values.

The wear off can be altered from alpha-channel (see the CSGO's Workshop Weapon tutorial for that). The shitty colors is because of the default values for phong-shader. Tweak the "phongexponent" and "phongintensity" to some lower values.

Thanks for the info, I'll look it up. EDIT: Mixed with the Alpha Channel and the phong settings and it looks perfect now thanks a lot.

Edited by Gocko

Working on this one, still needs more detail work and I need to figure out how to get the full skin (think P90 Asiimov) without the stock bits like the magazine carrying over from the default skin.

UNGIHfE.png

I also might need to mess with the Phong settings because it looks very glossy, especially in the butt/stock and the front grip. It should be more flat/matte, I feel.

EDIT: 

OK, took me several tries but I finally figured out how to work the alpha channel to make sure the bits Valve wants to be 100% worn, starting even at Factory New condition, actually show up. I need to finish up the rest of the gun now. Some bits feel really empty and look bland compared to the rest of the gun, mainly the magazine and the cocking knob. Here's my current WIP from tonight.

PWgV6G3.jpg

Edited by soultron