Thurnip's paintings and stuff

Thurnip

• 3 weeks later...

last saturnday i finished this pencil exercise and today i brought the sheet to work to scan it.

The composition was made from two different photos, one from a place in Turkey and the other from Chilean andes :)
In photoshop i lowered the background tones to enhance the foreground silhouette

caste01.png

• 3 weeks later...

Those perspective tools are great, but seeing the demo i'm not sure how much they speed up the process... better know the theory and draw accordingly, isn't it? I mean, we are talking about concept design.

For a total noob interested in 3D spaces anyway, is probably better to build up some boxes with Sketchup and paint over, what do you think? I've seen artists suggesting this approach on YT.

As far as I can remember from my high-school days, perspective wasn't that hard to setup, of course being a technical school we were designing mechanical pieces and doing all kind of measurements so it was a lenghty process, but from the videos i've seen from top-of-the-class concept artists, they just go freehand, and it takes seconds.

Edited by blackdog

i think we can use both worlds you know, maybe make some boxes on the sketchup (even illustrator), and use the script to trace lines above the blockout.

Maybe skilled artists can just go free hand when sketching but probably when they need to make something more detailed, they will need to use blockout or perspective guides, right?

Image1.jpg

As far as I can remember from my high-school days, perspective wasn't that hard to setup

the tools i think are good to experiment, try out different perspective setup rapidly :)

the tools i think are good to experiment, try out different perspective setup rapidly :)

If they are quick and fast, yes... the one from Epic, from the little i could see in those clips, seems to work the way i was imagining/expecting a perspective tool to work.

Then I dunno, i'm not in the industry and i'm talking on top of my head, but from the behind the scenes stuff that goes around, i wouldn't expect concepts get much more intricated than this below. I mean, i would want 3d artists to have their own input in the creation process, while if the artist is bringing the thing from sketch to model, well, he knows what he's doing already. If we are speaking about level design is even less important because of the amount of iteration the process of making a good map involves it would be totally a waste of time to design things too much in detail

Edited by blackdog

You still need to know the basic theory to use the tools. What good is carapace tool when you don't know what a vanishing point is?

As for Feng Zhu he's uber pro so it's easy for him to just do it on the fly but he also said in one of his videos that it's not super important for concept art that perspective is 100% correct.

If you do realistic paintings for art gallery it's much more important tho. I have a 168 pages book about perspective for painters and it's mostly fart dry text with some technical drawings.

That's exactly my point Steppenwolf.

These tools allow to design on a grid so precise evryone would get a sense of perspective As for the tools, seems to me they are so intuitive that if you are just setting up grids on top of reference pics (like i've seen there or in Sketchup); I'm pretty sure you can follow tutorials and understand how to place grids without being able to explain what is what, so people wouldn't understand the theory, not more than "intuitively".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...