cybarian

Can i use python scripts in UNITY???

Agreed, your questions really are very basic and could easily be answered via a quick search — literally, just Google 'unity python'. And please post these things in the 3D forum as I have to keep moving your threads there...

I've not used Unity but any scripting language is theoretically usable in any game, so if you already know one it's can save time using that rather than learning a new one (not that switching languages is too hard). Python is a very popular and good language, as is Lua.

IMO though, if you're not an expert with any scripting language you should use the most widely used one for the engine so there's plenty of documentation. Using an uncommon scripting language (even if it's technically a better choice) might seem cool until you realise there's nobody out there who can help you because they don't use it.

I'm working in Unity daily and I agree, any scripting language is indeed theoreticall usable, but the thing is that Unity has a very broad library for both C# and Java script, so I just couldn't fathom why you would want Python in Unity instead of these two langauges. Maybe there is something specific you can use Python for? I never heard of it but maybe there is.

Thrik that only works if you have either a wrapper or if you want to sit down and make a wrapper/compiler for those purposes. For cases such as Unity, if there weren't any wrappers I'd just switch to C# anyway because it would be simpler, have more documentation and less bugs along the way.

The cool things about most languages is that they follow a paradigm, and knowing one paradigm makes you able to transition languages within that paradigm fairly fast.

Using a python interpreter authored in C# seems like it could be a performance issue. 

C# is so easy it's usually hard to justify putting a scripting language on top of it unless you wish to update the gameplay code without restarting the game. Even then there are classes in C# to compile c# code on the fly so you could use c# as a scripting language on top of c#  :v

EDIT: I forgot to mention there's also Iron Python. 

Ultimately like everyone in this thread, I dont recommend it. Just use one of the existing Unity code paths. 

http://ironpython.net/

Edited by AlexM

Haha using a python scripting system in unity is kind of weird given that mono/unityscript/boo is unitys scripting languages. And unityscript is probably even easier to learn from scratch.

yo dawg, I head you like scripting languages so we put in a scripting language that compiles down to your scripting language that way you can script the script.

Yeah that sounds retarded

Do note, OP has not posted here since TS; yet started a new topic. I assume it's no longer of interest to the OP.

Seems to be a recurring theme with cybarian. I'm starting to think that he's just asking these questions on behalf of someone else or has to pass some test or something, because the questions are so varied and seem to lead nowhere.